[January 24th 08:00pm PST] Westcoast fly-in: KIFP to KLAS

Planning a flight, looking for others to come along?
djrisc

[January 24th 08:00pm PST] Westcoast fly-in: KIFP to KLAS

Post by djrisc »

We head to Vegas this week!

Planning: Wed. January 23rd 8pm on DTP TeamSpeak
Flying: Thu. January 24th 8pm

If you can't make the planning session, feel free to plan in this thread.

See you there!

Brett
Last edited by djrisc on Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brett Johnson
Los Angeles, CA.
PE: Skyhawk C172 - N8979T
Cyrus

Re: [January 24th 08:00pm PST] Westcoast fly-in: KIPF to KLA

Post by Cyrus »

Do you mean KIFP? ;)
-Cyrus Kapadia. A few RW hours in a C172, then a 15 year hiatus. Joined PE in Dec'12, then took a break. Now I'm back, learning fast and loving it. If I'm on, it's usually between 22h and midnight EST with Baron 258E, Skyhawk 176CM or Learjet 66L.
djrisc

Re: [January 24th 08:00pm PST] Westcoast fly-in: KIFP to KLA

Post by djrisc »

oops. Fixed. :) Good catch.

Brett
Brett Johnson
Los Angeles, CA.
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

Brett, so are you thinking VFR (possibly with flight following)?
-Cyrus Kapadia. A few RW hours in a C172, then a 15 year hiatus. Joined PE in Dec'12, then took a break. Now I'm back, learning fast and loving it. If I'm on, it's usually between 22h and midnight EST with Baron 258E, Skyhawk 176CM or Learjet 66L.
djrisc

Post by djrisc »

Cyrus,
Ya know, I was toying with flying it VFR since I did IFR last week.

I actually have been flying purposefully without flight following to get comfortable dealing with transitioning airspace on my own and following the chart in real time. (I turned off the tracking in ForeFlight so I have to look for landmarks.)

It's actually really educational, at least it has been for me.

I've been trying to mix up my flights each time. So I'll do an IFR flight where I file, then a VFR flight with flight following, then a TEC route where I just call it in to delivery and let them read me the route, then VFR without flight following. I've been changing up the locations, I'm basically trying to get to where I can do all of those skills effortlessly.

(As seen in another thread, I'm still avoiding Burbank like the plague as VNY9 frightens me. lol) But I plan on concurring that soon enough!

Anyhow, very long story short.. Yeah, let's do VFR, either with or without flight following.

Brett
Brett Johnson
Los Angeles, CA.
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

Ok. I think I'll go with VFR+Flight Following, since I'm nowhere near ready to navigate and negotiate the LAS class bravo without it (unless IFR). Well, I guess I could give it a shot, but it would be pretty stressful, and I really just wanted to enjoy this ride. My initial thoughts...

Bullhead is at a lowly 701ft MSL, so....

One option is to fly V237 from KIFP all the way to the BLD VOR (or until we get vectored in the bravo). But it would need to be at 8500ft from what I can see. IMO, that's a a lot of climbing in a C172 for a relatively short ride (not to mention a pretty boring ride just staring at an OBS for half an hour).

Alternatively, we could just follow the river/lake all the way up to the LAS bravo, and then enjoy getting vectored in to land.

Personally, I'd much rather turn off the GPS, use the OBS for the occasional position double-check, and try to enjoy the lovely river/lake scenery. I've never flown this route, but from the looks of the map, I don't think we can go that far astray, since it's quite a steep valley either side of the Colorado.

Also, it looks like we could duck in from the SW under the bravo if we stayed at 4500ft (until the inner ring, at least), although we might still need to get clearance through the Henderson delta - depending on how we come in. Regardless, I don't have any strong preferences on an overall strategy for navigating the bravo. Hopefully you or someone else will.....?

These are all just suggestions/thoughts... I'm sure I'll be ok with whatever you decide :)

Oh, and I'll probably have to skip the formal planning session (hope that's ok), but am happy to keep bouncing ideas around here until we fly.
Steve Anderson

Post by Steve Anderson »

This looks like a fun and challenging flight fellas. Wish I could join you but I can't this week. Just wanted you to know these Thursday night group flights are a great idea. Not sure if PE supports this or not, but consider using frequency 123.45 on COMM2 while flying so you can chat with each other casually while keeping to proper ATC communications on COMM1.
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

Steve Anderson wrote:Not sure if PE supports this or not, but consider using frequency 123.45 on COMM2 while flying so you can chat with each other casually while keeping to proper ATC communications on COMM1.
Steve, sorry you can't make it this week.

As for the COM2 (P2P) idea, it was already covered here (see Keith's reply).

Brett mentioned that he'll try to get the dual comms going with DTP TeamSpeak.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Cyrus wrote:As for the COM2 (P2P) idea, it was already covered here (see Keith's reply).

Brett mentioned that he'll try to get the dual comms going with DTP TeamSpeak.
If you have already attended one of the workshops then you will have already set yourself up on Teamspeak at DTP & provided you have given yourself a ptt key you will be able to speak to each other. If not, then just follow this link http://www.digitalthemepark.com/teamspe ... 0Setup.pdf to set yourself up.
Just one tip, it is a good idea to allocate a key to mute the TS so atc comms are not talked over.
Plus good idea to set yourself up before your event, day before, few hours before, so as not to delay your start time
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

Thanks Bruce. I'll try to test it out tonight. (I did listen to the workshops, but only the recorded versions.... well, two out of three anyway :cry: )

Brett, when you get a second, please confirm that you'll be activating this for the Westcoast fly-in tomorrow.

Anyone else planning to join?