[January 24th 08:00pm PST] Westcoast fly-in: KIFP to KLAS

Planning a flight, looking for others to come along?
Tim Krajcar

Re: [January 24th 08:00pm PST] Westcoast fly-in: KIFP to KLA

Post by Tim Krajcar »

Reading this thread and although my sim setup is mothballed for the moment, my audio/TS setup might be helpful to some folks.

My yoke (PFC Cirrus) has two identical pushbuttons, one on each 'horn' of the yoke, so I have the left side mapped to the PilotEdge PTT and the right side mapped to the Teamspeak PTT. In addition to my PC's onboard sound which comes out through a set of speakers, I have a USB sound card and a mon-aural (meaning, only one side has an earpiece) headset. I have TeamSpeak routed through the main speakers and PE through my headset. That way controller transmissions will always be more 'hearable' to me than TS chatter, but I can still hear it easily. I can also have engine/avionics sounds turned up nice and loud without struggling to hear controllers. I also do have a mute keystroke mapped, as Bruce suggested. Lastly, I mapped my PE PTT in TeamSpeak to mute speaker output on keydown and unmute speaker on keyup. This prevents TS audio from playing while I am transmitting on PE and eliminates 'crosstalk' heard by the controllers/other pilots (and also makes it easier for me to concentrate on what I'm saying).

It is what works for me, maybe it could work for you too :)
Tim Krajcar
Live streams at http://twitch.tv/Tim_PE
View past flights on YouTube
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

Thanks Tim! It's a shame you can't bottle up all that magic into some sort of config file and share it with us. :mrgreen:

I guess I'll try to do something pretty similar.................
-Cyrus Kapadia. A few RW hours in a C172, then a 15 year hiatus. Joined PE in Dec'12, then took a break. Now I'm back, learning fast and loving it. If I'm on, it's usually between 22h and midnight EST with Baron 258E, Skyhawk 176CM or Learjet 66L.
djrisc

Post by djrisc »

Actually, I have the same setup on my yoke, so I could set that up without an issue. I'll get this setup tonight, and test it out.

Brett
Brett Johnson
Los Angeles, CA.
PE: Skyhawk C172 - N8979T
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

Can anyone tell me what the solid blue line with the small blue dots is? (click here, then remove all the waypoints to see where I mean). Is it the "Lake Mead National Recreation Area" and, if so, shouldn't there be some information about it on the top of the LA TAC?

UPDATE! Looks like there's a 2000ft *AGL* restriction for that whole river corridor between Laughlin and Vegas. It's here on the Vegas TAC, not the LA one.

Thanks.
-Cyrus Kapadia. A few RW hours in a C172, then a 15 year hiatus. Joined PE in Dec'12, then took a break. Now I'm back, learning fast and loving it. If I'm on, it's usually between 22h and midnight EST with Baron 258E, Skyhawk 176CM or Learjet 66L.
Vincent Meier

Post by Vincent Meier »

Cyrus,

Yup that is what it is. I first noticed the same symbology when flying from KSBA to KSNA. There is a bird sanctuary around the islands by KSBA
Vincent Meier

Skyhawk 172: C-FEGU
Baron 58: C-FEED
Cirrus SR22: C-FLAG
djrisc

Post by djrisc »

I was 15 minutes late to the planning session tonight due to an emergency.

Sorry if I missed anyone.. We can finish planning via the forums.

Brett
Brett Johnson
Los Angeles, CA.
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

Hi Brett,

I do hope your emergency is resolved/ok.

I did a little VFR sightseeing from Kingman to Searchlight yesterday. I got a nice view of KIFP from 6500ft, but I've gotta say, it's pretty barren country out there (as least with my default FS2004 scenery, and my SoCal Megascenery doesn't reach that far). I turned off the GPS and found the river/lake, power lines, and a few mini-mountain peaks to be helpful. I also spent some time trying to master double VOR tracking, e.g. to find the UNIPAS intersection. I need waaay more practice at this... until reading and interpreting the CDI/markers becomes second nature.

But, anyway, for tonight, I just plan on following behind you... so you'll be my GPS! :lol: Lol. So what's your preferred route?

Also, there doesn't seem to be a Ground frequency for KIFP. So will we just request our Flight Following from the Tower? (anyone?? ...Bueller? ...Bueller??) I also wonder which ATC entity will provide the Flight Following for us once we're out of the Laughlin's class Delta (until we get to the 30 mile circle for LAS)?

Again, I'm just going to be tagging along........... 8-)
bruce

Post by bruce »

I guess if no ground ask the next in line -- Tower.

Re scenery, check out http://www.blueskyscenery.com/download.html it's quality freeware
Last edited by bruce on Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
djrisc

Post by djrisc »

My plan is to follow the Colorado river up the valley to lake Mead (right past the Hoover dam), I'll be using the BLD VOR to keep me on track, (and for DME). I'll then use the LAS VOR (set OBS to 25 and it should lead us almost right to runway 25) to head towards KLAS once I hit lake mead.

Yeah, I'll just ask for FF from the tower. I'll be sure to wait until people show up at KIFP to depart.

I also now have DTP TeamSpeak setup on a second button on my yoke, so if people want to use the PilotEdge room on DTP to talk during the flight, I'll be in there.

Hope to see a bunch of people there!

Brett
Brett Johnson
Los Angeles, CA.
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

Sounds great. I'll be the baaaaing sheep about mile behind you :D

Oh, and I didn't get around to setting up DTP TS last night, but will try tonight (well in advance of 8pm PST).

See you on the ramp!