[January 24th 08:00pm PST] Westcoast fly-in: KIFP to KLAS

Planning a flight, looking for others to come along?
Tim Krajcar

Re: [January 24th 08:00pm PST] Westcoast fly-in: KIFP to KLA

Post by Tim Krajcar »

Cyrus wrote:Also, there doesn't seem to be a Ground frequency for KIFP.
There is, it's 118.25. There's an error in the data though (not just Skyvector, since it shows up on Airnav as well). The tower freq is listed as 'Bullhead Tower Tower', and ground is listed as 'Bullhead Tower Ground'.

It's not erroneous in the A/FD PDF though... which reinforces that all those other tools are nice-to-haves but not the system of record for this information... ;)
Tim Krajcar
Live streams at http://twitch.tv/Tim_PE
View past flights on YouTube
djrisc

Post by djrisc »

Thanks to everyone who came out for this weeks west coast fly in!

We definitely raised a little hell in PE this week! lol

Some fun highlights:
- Taxiing through the desert (there is no east ramp at KIFP regardless of what fsx tells you.)
- Mid-flight flight planning due to a mistake on my part (thanks to Keith for bailing us out with a little mid-flight flight training.)
- The best taxi clearance I have ever heard regarding a little lawn mowing, grass taxiing.

It was a great flight to Vegas, so much so, some of us decided to fly a second flight after from VNY to Catalina via the coastal route.

It was nice chatting with a bunch of you via DTP's TS as well! It's great to get to know other PE pilots better! (Sorry I missed some of your pm's as my TS was behind xplane and I couldn't see it.)

I had a really fun time and I hope all of you who attended did as well!

Please feel free to make some suggestions for next weeks. If I don't see any suggestions by Sunday, I will figure one out and post it here in the forums!

Thanks to both the pilots who attended, and the controllers who dealt with the craziness!!

See you next week.

Brett
Brett Johnson
Los Angeles, CA.
PE: Skyhawk C172 - N8979T
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Good job, Bret.

Is your goal to have them weekly? I'm putting together a shared Google calendar and want to get the events right. So, West coast fly in is currently a weekly event, and the East coasters is every 2 weeks, right?
djrisc

Post by djrisc »

Keith,
Yes, the west coast fly in is every week (planning wed, flying thu 8:00pm), I'm not sure about the east coast one.

Thanks for adding it!

Brett
Brett Johnson
Los Angeles, CA.
Vincent Meier

Post by Vincent Meier »

Interesting flight last night.
I studied for a good 45 minutes on the routes and A/FD's and still was able to botch communication with Bullhead ground. That takes talent. I saw in the KIFP A/FD that there is a same frequency (118.25)(LA center) used for after hour clearances and 118.25 used for ground during business hours. My assumption was that it was after hours. I was confused on what to call the controller - Delivery or ground... upon further research I now found out that I can disregard operational hours published and consider the Pilotedge hours the appropriate hours of operation.
I was surprised at the old scenery dilemma. Is this an FSX thing? It seemed that Brett and I had no issues - answered in above post
I also want to thank the LAS tower controller for teaching me the local "over the numbers"(runway 25) technique for landing on left pattern 19R.
I have to admit, when I heard Keith's voice as a controller at KIFP (or anywhere else for that matter) I always seem to get a little more flustered when speaking...I will work on that...
Vincent Meier

Skyhawk 172: C-FEGU
Baron 58: C-FEED
Cirrus SR22: C-FLAG
arb65912

Post by arb65912 »

Keith Smith wrote:Good job, Bret.

Is your goal to have them weekly? I'm putting together a shared Google calendar and want to get the events right. So, West coast fly in is currently a weekly event, and the East coasters is every 2 weeks, right?
Yes, Sir, East Coast , every 2 weeks on Thursdays. :) Cheers, AJ
TexFly

Post by TexFly »

Keith, great idea about the calendar. Thanks.
Alex (N705AT)
Check out my sim: http://www.createandsolve.com
djrisc

Post by djrisc »

Last day to get your suggestions in for this weeks west coast fly in, otherwise I will pick a route. (Most likely stealing from the east coast fly in ideas.)

Thanks Brett
Brett Johnson
Los Angeles, CA.
TexFly

Post by TexFly »

Brett,

Help yourself! I'm glad you like some of the flights!

TEAMWORK for FUN!
Alex (N705AT)
Check out my sim: http://www.createandsolve.com
Victoria W.

Post by Victoria W. »

Brett,
Here's a suggestion that will give us some practice flying through Charlie/Delta airspace:
Oxnard (KOXR) to Whiteman (KWHP). This might be fun, since we practiced maneuvering Bravo airspace last time. We could file VFR/IFR routes and those who may feel more brave can take a coastland route transitioning through the Bravo toward KSMO then head back north.

I am really looking forward to another delightful West coast fly-in! Despite frozen frame rates and two technical crashes, I made it to KLAS! :D
I really enjoyed getting to personally meet you and Mr. Cyrus and it was a greater pleasure flying out with you guys. I hope my family will have the chance to join in the fun soon. From a student's perspective, besides being superbly fun these fly-ins are giving those of us who are still trying to learn the fundamentals a hands-on opportunity to mingle more personally with the echelon of pilots more versed in all the rules, radio coms etc. (Did I say, Keith?) That way we're gaining a few tips and increasing our proficiency of skill at the same time! I'm loving it!

I hope to see you in the skies!
Victoria Waterbury