[Feb 19th, 7pm EST] Tue (0000z) KLAX/KHMT -EAST COAST FLY IN

Planning a flight, looking for others to come along?
rgrazian

Re: [Feb 19th, 7pm EST] Tue (0000z) KLAX/KHMT -EAST COAST FL

Post by rgrazian »

Hi Guys,

I did enter the ICAO code correctly. However, a PA32 can be a Saratoga or Cherokee 6 (r/g or fixed gear). Maybe that was the issue? I sometimes fly a Lance in r/w. It is P32R which is the same as the r/g Saratoga but has a T tail. (I think I've seen a few rare Lances with a straight tail.)

p.s. - I changed my weather to clear skys and unlimited. It was officially MVFR when we left and we certainly would have been IFR over the mountains.
Rob G.
Private Pilot
Instrument Airplane; ASEL
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Regarding the visual depiction of each aircraft, it generally works as follows...

Each aircraft connects to the network with an ICAO aircraft identifier, airline code and livery code (let's ignore the last two for now). It's the job of each pilot client to understand what aircraft are available (visually) within the simulation, create them, and then move them around the sky as convincingly as possible.

For FSX, this involves actually instantiating other AI aircraft and moving them around. For X-Plane, this means instantiating 3d objects and moving them around the sky.

In both cases (FSX and X-Plane), we need to know what aircraft are available before we attempt to instantiate them. For this to happen, we simply do our best to map a given ICAO identifier to the aircraft that are available.

Users are welcome to add more mappings by reviewing the CSL folder in X-Plane, or reviewing\editing the PilotEdge\aircraft\*.smx and *.sms files for FSX.

The thing to keep in mind is just because you have a Saratoga that you've downloaded and installed, there is no guarantee that the other parties have a Saratoga that is mapped in their visual system.
Vincent Meier

Post by Vincent Meier »

Yes,
I have seen a 747(or some other heavy) take off like helicopters, because in fact it was an R22. This was on Vatsim a while ago
Vincent Meier

Skyhawk 172: C-FEGU
Baron 58: C-FEED
Cirrus SR22: C-FLAG
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Yep. The fallback aircraft for us (if all else fails) is a 172.