[Jun 15 7p PDT] California at its Finest

Planning a flight, looking for others to come along?
Keith Smith

Re: [Jun 15 7p PDT] California at its Finest

Post by Keith Smith »

Bruce,

I'll be mighty impressed if you can make it...have you looked at the times? :) That would be impressive if you were able to swing it.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Keith Smith wrote:Bruce,

I'll be mighty impressed if you can make it...have you looked at the times? :) That would be impressive if you were able to swing it.
That's the intention. :shock:

The last one was so much fun how can I miss it!

Just to sync. clocks can you confirm that 1900pdt is 0200z?
Kevin_atc

Post by Kevin_atc »

bruce wrote: Just to sync. clocks can you confirm that 1900pdt is 0200z?
Correct. Pacific Time is currently GMT-7
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

received this question from one of our users, thought it was worth sharing:
... from KCRQ to KSNA, TEC route for PQ60 is: OCN, v23, SLI. In real world, how does that process?

I fly P28A, climbs 5 to 600 feet/min, at 80 knots. Is there a requirement for climbing performance and exact altitude needed to be flown? Is there a departure and arrival procedure? Or just vector into the V23 and fly the route and vector to KSNA. I think that is my question.
My response was:
The TEC routes are preferred routes serving multiple terminal areas. What you can expect is to receive additional instructions to depart the airport and join the route. I suggest reviewing the I-2 and I-3 pilot ratings (http://training.pilotedge.net) very closely and watch the videos which are included in those ratings. That will give you an idea of what to expect.

You need to be able to climb at 500fpm for any IFR flight, otherwise you need to inform ATC. The altitude to be flown is included in the TEC route. SIDs and STARs might be included in the clearance but are not included in the TEC route because the TEC routes are area-specific, not airport specific.

No need to prepare in advance to know what you're going to get out of CRQ in terms of initial departure instructions. Simply listen to the clearance, write it down, read it back and the do it. For example, it might be "fly runway heading, vectors V23, then as filed." Or, it might be "fly heading 270, vectors V23." There's no need to try to anticipate it before the event.

Hope this helps!
RiteFlyer

Post by RiteFlyer »

Keith,

Do you prefer us visual guys to request flight following during these events, or just request a departure direction or does it just depend upon controller workload, as in the rw? (TAF shows MVFR at most of the airports so I’ll probably set my own weather ;) )
"Can't keep my mind from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earth-bound misfit, I”
-Pink Floyd, "Learning to Fly”
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Whatever you like. If ATC gets too busy for f/f, they'll start telling people to call back later, just like r/w.
matt

Post by matt »

This was the first event I have been able to attend. I was only able to do the KSMO to KOXR and KOXR to KSBA legs, but it was a blast!

Thanks Keith!
Marc Gentry

Post by Marc Gentry »

besides accidentally turned auto pilot off and losing heading and not lowering my landing gear this is event was awesome next time I should just leave my disabled craft on the runway to make it more interesting for everyone and this gives me a great idea that maybe messages should be sent to some pilots to do different scenarios to make it even more fun for everyone
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I think it was plenty interesting with planes landing with minimal separation as it was. :)

We had 5 controllers at the peak and were cranking out some planes!

thanks to everyone who came out to fly.