[Jun 24 2030pdt] ONT to SAN

Planning a flight, looking for others to come along?
Keith Smith

[Jun 24 2030pdt] ONT to SAN

Post by Keith Smith »

Doing a FS Economy run with the Baron from ONT to SAN in about 15 mins from now.
Keith Smith

Re: [Jun 24 2030pdt] ONT to SAN

Post by Keith Smith »

That turned out to be a fun training flight. A friend was flying LAS-SAN at the same time (unbeknownst to me), and arrived just ahead of the me in his 777, which made for some fun sequencing at SAN. Prior to that, I was unable to receive the PGY VOR at TANNR to track the second half of V186, so I requested hdg 155 until receiving PGY.

Got vectored for the LOC RWY 27 approach. Even though the DME was functional, I backed it up with the PGY radials. It's a lot of work.

I've remapped the hat on my joystick to act as aileron trim instead of panning left and right and am doing a lot more hand flying as a result (X-Plane tends to over state the rolling tendency associated with the application of power, making hand flying fairly tiring if you're changing power frequently, such as during a non-precision approach).

Good times, great vectors on the approach and for sequencing behind the 777. It literally felt like a real IFR flight. Very happy with the rig, and finally having a working second monitor again so I can run X-Plane full screen with charts on the second screen.