[Jan 11, Sat 7:45pm PST] KAVX-KONT then KONT-KSBA (IFR)

Planning a flight, looking for others to come along?
sronayne96

Re: [Jan 11, Sat 7:45pm PST] KAVX-KONT then KONT-KSBA (IFR)

Post by sronayne96 »

Well I'll certainly give it a think and I'll probably give it a go. I'm sure it won't be anywhere near as detailed in terms of planning as yours Cyrus but as you said Keith I'm sure some Euro/Aussie pilots would be happy to join me.
Seán Ronayne
Twitter: @sronayne96
PPL student at Weston Airport, Ireland. (EIWT)
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Sean, it really can be as simple as posting an origin, destination, approximate speed (if the goal is to see/hear each other enroute and at the destination) and a suggested route. Cyrus has mastered the art of making it much more complex ;)
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

Sean, I'm sure there are plenty of downsides to over-planning a group fly-out (a la Cyrus). Follow a less complicated template and reap the benefits of living a simple life!

Here's another way to look at it.... anytime that you're planning a flight, just post the basics of it with as much notice as possible and see what happens.

I have high hopes for this sub-forum 8-).

-Cyrus Kapadia. A few RW hours in a C172, then a 15 year hiatus. Joined PE in Dec'12, then took a break. Now I'm back, learning fast and loving it. If I'm on, it's usually between 22h and midnight EST with Baron 258E, Skyhawk 176CM or Learjet 66L.
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

Oh, and be patient....

-Cyrus Kapadia. A few RW hours in a C172, then a 15 year hiatus. Joined PE in Dec'12, then took a break. Now I'm back, learning fast and loving it. If I'm on, it's usually between 22h and midnight EST with Baron 258E, Skyhawk 176CM or Learjet 66L.
sronayne96

Post by sronayne96 »

Well I'll certainly take both of your advice onboard and I'll do my best to follow your template Keith. Also the issue I would have regarding speed is that (as I'm sure you've noticed) I tend to fly at about 220 KIAS in the Jetstream 32 and obviously that's a bit on the fast side for the GA flyers. But I could probably slow down and they could probably speed up. Thanks for all the advice as always and love the memes Cyrus :lol:

Seán
Seán Ronayne
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Sean, the main spirit of the 'fly with me' forum is that you post a flight that YOU want to do (first and foremost). If people can join you in a way that would be enjoyable for them, they will. You'll find there's lots of people flying Columbias, Cirrus, Lancair Legacy's, King Airs, etc. It's not the case that everyone is doing 120-160kts.

Post the flight you want to do, do the flight and see who shows. You might be surprised :) Here's a graph of recent Legacy traffic, for example: http://peaware.pilotedge.net/aircraft.cfm?code=LEG2
sronayne96

Post by sronayne96 »

Well in that case, at some stage next week I'll probably just stick a post up and see what happens.
Seán Ronayne
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

This is interesting (although not unexpected)...

I flew the AVX-ONT leg this evening. Reece joined me, leaving Catalina just a couple of minutes after I did. We both got clearance on the ground, switched to CTAF, then activated the clearance in the air... which all worked very smoothly.

The main difference between our flights was the approach course into ONT. I was not prepared for the full ILS 26L approach, so I simply requested vectors to it. Also, I couldn't/didn't get the weather at ONT, which caused additional delay in getting my approach clearance. Well, you can see from the two route maps that flying the full approach from PDZ resulted in a significantly shorter flight for Reece. At one point it felt like I was going to Palm Springs! (and then I saw and heard-over-the-radio the infamous Baron 132KT out of my window up at 10k and wondered if he was going to spit his chewing gum out onto me).

Looking at the full ILS 26L Approach from PDZ now, it seems pretty straight forward - and I'm not really sure why I panicked and didn't request it. It would have saved almost 10 minutes of unnecessary flying....

Just something to keep in mind if anyone was planning to join Sat. night.
matt

Post by matt »

Cyrus wrote:That's great, Matt. On the last one (Yuma to SNA), you said...
matt wrote:...I joined in late, so I picked up flight following from Santa Monica to John Wayne, but I still had a blast.
So can we assume that you'll be flying from Honolulu this time, perhaps picking up your Clearance to Ontario somewhere over Catalina at FL350? :lol:
Ha! Maui actually. Anyway, I have adjusted my schedule to attend the flight. See you on the island later on tonight.
djrisc

Post by djrisc »

I'll be on DigitalThemePark's TeamSpeak server during both these flights as well if anyone wants to chat there!

Brett
Brett Johnson
Los Angeles, CA.
PE: Skyhawk C172 - N8979T