[Jan 11, Sat 7:45pm PST] KAVX-KONT then KONT-KSBA (IFR)

Planning a flight, looking for others to come along?
matt

Re: [Jan 11, Sat 7:45pm PST] KAVX-KONT then KONT-KSBA (IFR)

Post by matt »

Cyrus, I had fun and this time I was able to join in for the whole event.

The best part of the flight for me was slipping (my favorite maneuver) down from 5000 feet on a 4 mile left base for 26L at Ontario:
Attachments
0c5b52bddee40bb9463da0974391c851.png
0c5b52bddee40bb9463da0974391c851.png (331.32 KiB) Viewed 3986 times
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

Matt, yes it was a lot of fun, and I'm glad you made it (and gave me the opportunity to pass you enroute :lol: ). I love your dive profile! I had to do a similar thing, although when I could see that I wasn't going to make it, I just called in the missed - DOH!

My thanks to all those who took part, including ATC of course. The workload was pretty constant, but I did manage to snap a couple of photos...

This first pic is from the cockpit on the ground at Catalina, just as the sun was about to set. One plane was waiting for his release from SOCAL, and the other was on his taxi to runway 22 (just exiting screen right):

This pic shows the group as a convoy, enroute between Catalina and Ontario:

Here I am cruising along V8, somewhere between SLI and PDZ. The two chaps you can see in front had left Catalina a few minutes before I did....

No photos of ONT to SBA, which may be just as well, because by the time I got to the final destination I was so frazzled that I didn't even wait for taxi instructions before heading to the ramp (from 16:20 - 16:38) :o

Maybe next time the group fly-out should simply be some taxi work around Edwards... lol.

See you all next time!
-Cyrus Kapadia. A few RW hours in a C172, then a 15 year hiatus. Joined PE in Dec'12, then took a break. Now I'm back, learning fast and loving it. If I'm on, it's usually between 22h and midnight EST with Baron 258E, Skyhawk 176CM or Learjet 66L.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Cyrus, I'm trying to work out how you ended up high and fast while following the Bonanza on the visual. If you get the gear and flaps out with throttle idle and props full forward, a Baron will come down like an absolute brick. Additionally, if you do slip it, it will come down like a brick on Jupiter (assuming the FSX model support slips).

Matt, if you're curious, I had to keep you at 5k for longer than usual to provide vertical separation from a faster mover (T38) that was on the missed on the ILS 26L at ONT, climbing up to 4000. Good times :)
matt

Post by matt »

Keith Smith wrote:Matt, if you're curious, I had to keep you at 5k for longer than usual to provide vertical separation from a faster mover (T38) that was on the missed on the ILS 26L at ONT, climbing up to 4000. Good times :)
Yup, I remember seeing it zipping by. No complaints here, I'm happy to slip all the way to the numbers if need be. It's fun.
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

Keith Smith wrote:Cyrus, I'm trying to work out how you ended up high and fast while following the Bonanza on the visual. If you get the gear and flaps out with throttle idle and props full forward, a Baron will come down like an absolute brick. Additionally, if you do slip it, it will come down like a brick on Jupiter (assuming the FSX model support slips).
Keith, although I had a clear visual on the Bonanza, he was far enough out that I couldn't really tell when he was banking. Also, it was pitch black and the mountains were obscuring the horizon, so I couldn't get a handle on his RoD.

Once I had turned onto final, I could see that we were quite high. I did everything you said (flaps, gear, idle, props full), but my RoD was uncomfortably high (pax screaming!), so I called it.

Anyway, I should have relied on my own altitude more than looking to see how much the guy in front was descending.

Incidentally, if I had asked for the ILS rwy 7 approach, would I have been told to get lost because of winds, other aircraft, etc.?

P.S. I allowed myself to get quite distracted on the chat session too. In hindsight, I should have stopped the bs'ing somewhere around KWANG.
-Cyrus Kapadia. A few RW hours in a C172, then a 15 year hiatus. Joined PE in Dec'12, then took a break. Now I'm back, learning fast and loving it. If I'm on, it's usually between 22h and midnight EST with Baron 258E, Skyhawk 176CM or Learjet 66L.
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

Also, wasn't familiar with "slipping" (in this context). I just WikiHow'd it... and now have a few things to try on my next flight ;)