Jan 10, Fri 5pm PST NOTAM Turtle MOA B-52

Planning a flight, looking for others to come along?
dc8flightdeck

Jan 10, Fri 5pm PST NOTAM Turtle MOA B-52

Post by dc8flightdeck »

B-52 is departing Nellis AFB at 5pm PST to Yuma. The Military Training Route VR296 will be used through the Turtle MOA.

Map Route link,

http://skyvector.com/?ll=34.38709290551 ... H:V.K2.BZA
Attachments
B-52 to Yuma.jpg
B-52 to Yuma.jpg (57.98 KiB) Viewed 7522 times
matt

Re: Jan 10, Fri 5pm PST NOTAM Turtle MOA B-52

Post by matt »

Awesome. I will be watching and listening.
djrisc

Post by djrisc »

I can't wait to be home when you are flying this online.

BTW, if you are wanting to fly with the B-52 as traffic as well and are using FSX, you can download a free FSX model of one and add it to your PE.smx file in the pilot edge directory. Then instead of seeing whatever default aircraft PE selects for it, you will see an actual B-52!

The ICAO code for the file is just "B52"

Here is a link to a free B-52 for FSX:
http://www.fs-freeware.net/downloads/vi ... 2-d-bomber
Brett Johnson
Los Angeles, CA.
PE: Skyhawk C172 - N8979T
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Looks like fun. Did you post this just as you started the flight? Your post is dated 5:11pm, and the flight was at 5pm.
matt

Post by matt »

Keith Smith wrote:Looks like fun. Did you post this just as you started the flight? Your post is dated 5:11pm, and the flight was at 5pm.
I just saw that. The time must have been an hour ahead. I saw the post before 5pm and posted a reply before that time as well. All appears well now though, this post has an accurate time.
dc8flightdeck

Post by dc8flightdeck »

matt wrote:
Keith Smith wrote:Looks like fun. Did you post this just as you started the flight? Your post is dated 5:11pm, and the flight was at 5pm.
I just saw that. The time must have been an hour ahead. I saw the post before 5pm and posted a reply before that time as well. All appears well now though, this post has an accurate time.

How odd. I did indeed post an hour before. All is well that ends well!

Justin
dc8flightdeck

Post by dc8flightdeck »

djrisc wrote:I can't wait to be home when you are flying this online.

BTW, if you are wanting to fly with the B-52 as traffic as well and are using FSX, you can download a free FSX model of one and add it to your PE.smx file in the pilot edge directory. Then instead of seeing whatever default aircraft PE selects for it, you will see an actual B-52!

The ICAO code for the file is just "B52"

Here is a link to a free B-52 for FSX:
http://www.fs-freeware.net/downloads/vi ... 2-d-bomber

Is there an instructional thread on the forum for editing the PE.smx file?

My X-plane 10 friends say they see our correct aircraft type but FS9/FSX shows most military aircraft as an incorrect type.

Justin
djrisc

Post by djrisc »

Here are the instructions for adding an aircraft to PE.SMX:

1. Find the aircraft you want to add in your <FSX DIR>\SimObjects\Airplanes\ folder.
2. Open the aircraft.cfg file in your favorite text editor and locate and copy the "title" value to the clipboard.
3. Open PE.SMX and add a new line pasting the title value, for example let's say it's "Douglas DC-3"
4. Add "+"s anywhere there is a space in the aircraft title, for example "Douglas DC-3" would become "Douglas+DC-3" (Make sure ALL spaces are replaced with a "+")
5. Add a couple spaces to the end and then enter the ICAO of the aircraft, for example "DC3"

So at the end, the line should look like this:
Douglas+DC-3 DC3

and that's it, you can add as many aircraft as you'd like as long as there is a valid ICAO in PE for it.

If you load PE and you get an error message when it first loads, most likely you have entered a non-valid ICAO that PE does not recognize.

I have added a ton of aircraft and have yet to find an ICAO code PE doesn't recognize btw.

You can also change the models for PE's default aircraft by simple changing the names in the entries already in the PE.SMX. So for example I'm using the A2A 172 as the Cessna 172 model for traffic instead of the default MS one, and so on and so forth.

Enjoy!

Brett
Brett Johnson
Los Angeles, CA.
PE: Skyhawk C172 - N8979T
dc8flightdeck

Post by dc8flightdeck »

Thanks! I will be doing this. :)