[Feb 8, Sat 7:45pm PST] KSBA-KSAN (IFR, Jet or TP)

Planning a flight, looking for others to come along?
Cyrus

[Feb 8, Sat 7:45pm PST] KSBA-KSAN (IFR, Jet or TP)

Post by Cyrus »

"Heads up, Shamu!"

I've recently developed a bit of a fetish for the San Diego LOC RWY 27 Approach. To address this, I'm planning a hop from sunny Santa Barbara down to "America's Finest City", and I hope you'll consider joining me. I'll probably be flying in the Learjet, but you can bring any jet or turboprop. You can also fly in a slower plane, although you'll probably get very different routing.

When:
Aim to call for your Clearance between 7:45pm and 7:50pm PST. Plan to start your taxi around 7:50pm and to depart no later than 8:00pm.

The flight should last around 45 mins (and if anyone wants to stick around, maybe we can refuel and follow up with another flight up to SFO!)

Route to file:
KWANG VTU V208 SXC V208 LAX118R CARDI MZB320R MZB
(put "TEC Route SBAN29" in the comments)

Altitude to file:
Jets: 11k
TP: 9k

Speed to file:
290 KTAS (which will be around 250 KIAS, depending on your final altitude and the OAT)

Useful links for the flight...

Skyvector chart with route

MyFlightRoute.com airport information

The TEC Route

LOC RWY 27 Approach at KSAN
(if you opt for it... but feel free to go for the visual approach if you prefer)

Oh, and be sure to join on the PE IRC chat, so we can stay in touch before, during and after the flight.
-Cyrus Kapadia. A few RW hours in a C172, then a 15 year hiatus. Joined PE in Dec'12, then took a break. Now I'm back, learning fast and loving it. If I'm on, it's usually between 22h and midnight EST with Baron 258E, Skyhawk 176CM or Learjet 66L.
Kim Ellis

Re: [Feb 8, Sat 7:45pm PST] KSBA-KSAN (IFR, Jet or TP)

Post by Kim Ellis »

I am sure the time will translate to something crazy down under, but irrespective I will do my best to be there.

That IRC thing sucks. Can't we standardize on DTP voice in the PE channel. That's where I will be as always. Maybe, one day, PE will have it's own TS3 server and a dedicated channel for just such events.
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

Kim, I believe that you're 19 hours ahead of SoCal. So 7:45pm PST Saturday evening would be 2:45pm Sunday afternoon for you (assuming you're in Sydney's time zone).

As for the chat, I guess I know what you mean - typing feels like going back to Vatsim text or something), but I only suggest it as a quick and easy way to communicate for essential change-of-plans before we start, the odd "lol" during the flight, and then afterwards in case anyone wants to keep the party going. With a flight like this one, there won't be much relaxing in the cockpit anyway, as there's quite a few turns to manage in a relatively short span of time. I did have the DTP thingy set up on my last rig, but haven't got around to putting it on the current computer. But even then, I seem to remember it being too much for my little brain to manage the two audio channels during a flight.

If you join, will you be flying 081 Heavy? (I listen to PE recordings quite a bit and an getting to know the regulars :D )
If so, might be fun for you to go first and make a bunch of wake turbulence for us all :) Hope you can make it.

Anyone else thinking of joining too?
-Cyrus Kapadia. A few RW hours in a C172, then a 15 year hiatus. Joined PE in Dec'12, then took a break. Now I'm back, learning fast and loving it. If I'm on, it's usually between 22h and midnight EST with Baron 258E, Skyhawk 176CM or Learjet 66L.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

We standardized on using the DTP server to integrate with an existing sim community. Utilizing our own TS3 server (which we do have, btw), isn't any easier than using DTP. We use the IRC as a way of providing tech support and a 'low impact' chat environment. I can't sit in a TS3 all day, the voice comms would be too distracting. For a flying event, though, it would be fine.

Just letting you know why IRC is there, and why it doesn't actually suck.
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

Given my genetic tendency for verbal diarrhea, I constantly aspire to "low impact" chat :lol:
Jack

Post by Jack »

Cyrus, sounds like fun. I'll aim to be around for the flight (Sunday afternoon for me). Not sure yet what aircraft I'll take.

Out of curiosity, are you flying the default FSX Lear?
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

Good deal!

Yes, I'll be flying the default FSX Lear (although I've been thinking about getting the Friendly Panels upgrade).

I've also got the PMDG 737NGX, have taken it up a few times and am very impressed. But, until I can put more time into studying it (which probably won't happen anytime soon), it's probably going to stay in the hangar for a while. It's a lovely rendition, but goes a bit too "far" in the realism/complexity vs. flyability/fun stakes for me... for now. Sure, the default Lear is pretty thin on systems management, but it's perfect for me when I'm in the mood to simply fly high and fast. (As against learn how a jet works)

Glad you're planning to join : )
Kim Ellis

Post by Kim Ellis »

Cyrus wrote:Kim, I believe that you're 19 hours ahead of SoCal. So 7:45pm PST Saturday evening would be 2:45pm Sunday afternoon for you (assuming you're in Sydney's time zone).

If you join, will you be flying 081 Heavy? (I listen to PE recordings quite a bit and an getting to know the regulars :D )
If so, might be fun for you to go first and make a bunch of wake turbulence for us all :) Hope you can make it.
Brisbane's time zone actually, AEST (GMT+10). I am definitely planning to be there, all going well.

I have been in the PMDG B737NGX most of this week. Jumped in my first love, the PMDG B747-400, this afternoon to show that a FMS bug is PMDG B737NGX specific. I seem to be good at creating wake turbulence, even if Keith has me flying through my own on a go around, LOL. So I'll make it the PMDG B747-400 and make sure I am a heavy 'heavy' so you get more bang for your buck. Would be nice to see other heavies out and about. A couple of years ago I was flying in World Flight on VatSim, and was in the middle of 20+ heavies taxing out for a R34L departure from Sydney; it was spectacular and one of my best sim memories. ATC was firing us so close together, some pilots actually reported feeling the turbulence :) See you Sun/Sat.
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

Kim Ellis wrote:So I'll make it the PMDG B747-400 and make sure I am a heavy 'heavy' so you get more bang for your buck.
Fantastic, Kim! With all these little jets and heavies that might be buzzing around, someone ought to set up a camera booth on the ground and just take pictures! Well, hopefully everyone can manage one or two screenshots and post them back in here after the flight.
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

Forgot to mention...

....I'm scared enough of flying into SAN rwy 27 with the Learjet (http://www.blogsouthwest.com/wp-content ... ockpit.jpg !). Can't imagine doing it in the 737. Let alone a 747!! Now *I* want to get there first, just so I can see you land :lol: