[April 12, Sat 7:45pm PDT] KSBA-KPSP (IFR)

Planning a flight, looking for others to come along?
Jack

Re: [April 12, Sat 7:45pm PDT] KSBA-KPSP (IFR)

Post by Jack »

Just reviewed some video I recorded from the flight and I realised I did actually have time acceleration turning on and off mid way in the flight. I think I was pressing the key on my keyboard. Apologies to the approach controller and thanks for noticing it :)

I will definitely have to check out that video Keith, thanks for flying.

No worries Reece, thanks for being there!

Also, not sure if it was just me. Was anyone else disconnected from the IRC mid-flight? I tried to reconnect a few minutes later and couldn't log in for the rest of the flight.
Frank Pate

Post by Frank Pate »

Fantastic Flight! This was my first group flight and really, my first real IFR flight that needed more than one NAV change and in current weather and time. Sorry I wasnt on any chat but I was busy triple checking my position and what was coming up next praying for a straight forward flight. Visual to 31L PSP and waited for everyone to arrive. I think my I2 and I3 should not be a problem after this confidence builder.

I then decided to head back to my virtual home airport John Wayne, filed the TEC route and was surprised to get a Cathedral 1 departure clearance. I just about dirtied my drawers, but after a few minutes of memorizing the procedure, it actually worked out perfectly! I was not ahead of the plane, but I was not behind either. Just nerves trying to make sure I knew where I was using the NAV Radios so I wouldn't miss the turns. Sorry for the babbling, but tonight was quite an accomplishment for me personally with a lot of "firsts" and I want to thank all of the controllers for the great ATC and Jack for an outstanding group flight!

Frank
King Air 71FS
Heavyflyer767

Post by Heavyflyer767 »

Frank,

So you were the King Air that I got too close on final at PSP. How do you keep it in the air that slow? I did a go around at PSP. I confess I was a little fast on final but thought i would throw out the anchor and maintain spacing. Too funny, but good practice to get a command other than what one would have normally expected. i did get a sequence behind our leader Jack in Legacy 8DB It actually made me think that i could use some pattern work. So if you recall, I was the Duke 510PC to follow you once again during your return into the pattern at SNA. I was on the alternate TWR freq. which is why you did not hear me. I left PSP to do the pattern work there because there were a couple of aircraft (172's) in the pattern but they left or quit. Good luck with the rest of your Instrument training. I like the syllabus that Keith and his team has put together for pilots and student pilots alike. I occasionaly refresh and/or update things from my training years ago.

Regards, Pat Snyder

Ahhh too many planes/airports...too little time. ;)
Heavyflyer767

Post by Heavyflyer767 »

Keith,
Really enjoyed the Twitch playback. In the critique, Including my go around. I had 1 option available for speed but waited too long. I should've asked for a side step to 31R. Who knew that a KA200/350 can fly like a 152 with flaps 40 on short final. LOL Wound up getting some pattern work in over at SNA to sharpen up speed and view controls in the sim. Flying right seat for right traffic helps in FSX, but those nacelles do get in the way. That is a steep decent into PSP having flown it twice now. It was super to get into the flow from startup and even with the go around to sequence in behind Jack. I am having a blast with your service, and wishing you and your team continued success. BTW, I noticed on the map before you were vectored the long way around, it appeared that you and Dicey28 had a formation flight for a while.

Regards,

Pat Snyder
N510PC
Last edited by Heavyflyer767 on Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frank Pate

Post by Frank Pate »

Hey Pat!

Well the King Air at PSP that was in front of you was not me. I was the first on the ground at PSP and watched everyone come in at parking in my Tower vew. But, I was listening and also saw the go-around you had to make. However, yes, I was the guy at KSNA and it's great to learn the people flying around. Thanks for the shout out! I had a blast and for the reasons you just mentioned, was the reason I wanted to be the first out of SBA and in at PSP. I have a lot to learn so I try to anticipate what may cause extra work ahead of time.

BTW: My model likes approaches at about 145 knots at approach flaps and gear down for the load out I give it. It gives me a good comfortable view on approach when its time to see the runway and enough energy to maneuver should I need to go around while I wait for the props to spool up. Most of my time is in the Baron 58, so my recent switch to the King air only had me with about 6 hours of checkout time in it and was really another "first" for me in this flight since the avionics are a bit different and handling is way different. I have an upgraded payware model that is much better than the stock FSX model.

Best Regards,
Frank
Heavyflyer767

Post by Heavyflyer767 »

Frank,
Ok i stand corrected. the KA is different, those engines need spoolup time but things happen faster and you're a crew of one. Big demand to stay in front of the a/c. BTW, if your platform is FSX, I am waiting (read Drooling) over the Milviz KA350i. If you think the radio setup in the one you were flying is nice I'm guessing it's the Flight1 KA200?, the Proline 21 by Collins avionics stack with an FMS that is database updateable by a Navigraph subsription is gorgeous. http://milviz.com/fs/item.php?id=B350i
I was thinking of the Flight 1 but will wait for this one. It seems it has been in development for a 18 months at least. The pre-order link is up so it shouldn't be long now.
I learned about that here at PE in the General forum I think. Flying the holding pattern until that a/c is released by Milviz.

Anyway, I had a blast as I wrote to Jack and Keith. Hope to get into the air again in another fly-in. And, In case you haven't yet, check out the Twitch.TV link Keith posted. I enjoyed that as well. A lot of technical talent around here. I am learning about the X-Plane platform from watching Keith's videos as well. Nice to have options.

See you in the skies soon,

Pat
Jeff N

Post by Jeff N »

Good lord, the visuals of that Milvis 350i are incredible..!

That was me that came in slow after the funky left traffic go around at PSP (that mountain looked awful close), necessitating your go around Pat. Sorry 'bout that! Great fly-in though, the route was really nice. Very engaging.

Grabbed a few screen shots:

ImageImageImageImageImage
Heavyflyer767

Post by Heavyflyer767 »

Hi Jeff,
No problem. I always laugh when a pilot has a go around. I was attempting to manage speed but let 2 options escape in recognizing my spacing issue. As Keith mentioned in his Twitch.TV video 31R was available or even sooner I could've requested "S" turns. After my first instruction to turn direct KPSP I was at 6500-7000 followed by "maintain 210Kts. until 4 miles" Whew, but I wanted to make it work. I requested the left 270 to continue with the altitude descent and that was working as planned. But my base turn was too close to your final and I picked up speed,whoops.gear down only 2 flap settings in the Duke. Damn I miss speed brakes. LOL I was impressed with the go around given by the tower controller and I was impressed myself that I did not hesitate and I enjoyed that curve ball.
BTW Keith did mention that the tower call to you should've been to make right traffic but once you accept it, (the left traffic instruction) bringing your a/c close to those mountains, the collision with terrain avoidance is on you. Did you have night conditions set in your sim?
How about The Milviz 350i? Can't wait. As I mentioned to Frank, I am drooling over this bird. I do hate all the reading that comes with new a/c but at least I'm not in a 6 month ground school. Is that the Flight1 KA 200 or the Caranado 90 in your pics? I believe Frank was flying but did not mention the vendor.
Looking forward to the next one. Hopefully my schedule will allow. Ahh, too many planes and airports. Not enough time.

Regards, Pat Snyder
N510PC
Jeff N

Post by Jeff N »

Yeah I had the same realizations in hindsight - should've asked for s-turns, right traffic, etc. Good learning experience though. I was in night conditions so the left traffic was extra hairy. The weird call from TWR to extend my downwind after I'd already turned base only added to debacle. Again, all good for learning to be better at thinking on my feet when in the cockpit.

I fly XP so I can only drool over the Milviz 350i. I'm very fond of the Carenado C90B though so I'm not complaining.