[April 26, Sat 2000 PDT] KSNA Fly-In

Planning a flight, looking for others to come along?
wdhurley

Re: [April 26, Sat 2000 PDT] KSNA Fly-In

Post by wdhurley »

I made it, better late than never. :-D
Attachments
l39.jpg
l39.jpg (82.02 KiB) Viewed 7422 times
FrigginGuy

Post by FrigginGuy »

I think you were inbound when I was going around. Feel like I remember hearing atc speaking to you. Had all kinds of trouble with the wind, especially on the landing. Made it down to right above the runway on the first try and a gust knocked me clear out over the dirt! Yeesh! :P

Much fun though. When's the next one? :mrgreen:
Seattle, WA
KRNT
N434EP
Pieces

Post by Pieces »

Thanks everyone, that was a lot of fun. I think the max count of aircraft connected was 32. That is the most I've ever seen on the network.

I came in behind Kim, so I had to deal with wake turbulence which was great. I saw at least 4 other aircraft being vectored in on the visual in front of Kim. I'll try and cut up the recording of my stream and get it posted on YouTube.
Attachments
Piper Meridian_2.png
Piper Meridian_2.png (2.22 MiB) Viewed 7414 times
Reece Heinlein, PPL - IR, KMZZ
PilotEdge I-11
Alphabet Challenge
Pieces

Post by Pieces »

Here is the link to my approach into KSNA, still processing at the moment but it will be available soon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oIzrVtWVZ0
Reece Heinlein, PPL - IR, KMZZ
PilotEdge I-11
Alphabet Challenge
Frank Pate

Post by Frank Pate »

Nice Video Reece!
Kim Ellis

Post by Kim Ellis »

Pieces wrote:Here is the link to my approach into KSNA, still processing at the moment but it will be available soon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oIzrVtWVZ0
Ok mate, you have the midas touch when it comes to organizing an event. It was great. I had an absolute ball. Getting to watch your video was a second dose of enjoyment. It's a funny feeling seeing yourself from someone else's cockpit and totally absorbing hearing that pilot actually talking about you. Next time, let me know you're behind me and i'll flap the wings, or rev the 4 RR monsters, or slow to stall speed and make life even more interesting, LOL. Don't beat yourself up on the landing, at least you're putting yourself out there which only helps those lacking confidence. I wish more would do that. Even though today will be hard to top, i can hardly wait for your next venture. Thanks.
Heavyflyer767

Post by Heavyflyer767 »

Reece,
Had a blast again. Came in VFR along with Badger85 and one other. Was surprised to get advisories. Loved the go around,and I was anticipating it. Then things got interesting but Keith got the SNA tower position and sorted all the metal. Looked like there was a close call earlier in the arrivals if you watched the Scope on twitch. Kim, I'm guessing that the West tarmac is not sufficient for the weight of a 747. I did like those lights on your a/c.

Thanks and see everyone on the next event,

Pat
Kim Ellis

Post by Kim Ellis »

Heavyflyer767 wrote:Kim, I'm guessing that the West tarmac is not sufficient for the weight of a 747. I did like those lights on your a/c.
Pat, if i looked half buried it is probably the scenery disconnect problem, as i only have default scenery for the USA.

I have not seen the PE controllers give me a taxi clearance that took account of the weight restrictions. On some other networks, and in particular with the A380 and the B747-8i, both controllers and i have had a hard time finding a single rated path through the maze at some airports, particularly out of the USA.

Catch you Pat at the next Reece extravaganza :)
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I'm not sure how that's handled in the real world, Kim, in terms of responsibility for weight restrictions. Controllers don't have a clue how much your airplane weighs on a given flight, only you do. That said, it may well be that there are established taxi routes for heavier aircraft at the larger fields that support those aircraft. Obviously it's a moot point at SNA where they don't have 747's coming and going.

If you'd like to request specific taxi routes for weight considerations, that's not a problem. It's not something we're likely to initiate, though, due to the large number of fields that we actively support. It's already a challenge asking the ground and tower positions to actively handle 40 airfields at once :)
Kim Ellis

Post by Kim Ellis »

Keith Smith wrote:I'm not sure how that's handled in the real world, Kim, in terms of responsibility for weight restrictions. Controllers don't have a clue how much your airplane weighs on a given flight, only you do. That said, it may well be that there are established taxi routes for heavier aircraft at the larger fields that support those aircraft. Obviously it's a moot point at SNA where they don't have 747's coming and going.
You got it Keith, yet another chart. Couple of nice ones for A380 @ EGLL, and of course KLAX will blow your mind with a chart for every type of heavy. Moot point taken, that was just the trigger for the conversation/digression.
Last edited by Kim Ellis on Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.