[April 26, Sat 2000 PDT] KSNA Fly-In

Planning a flight, looking for others to come along?
Pieces

[April 26, Sat 2000 PDT] KSNA Fly-In

Post by Pieces »

Hey Everyone, Going to try something different with this group flight. The "conga line" events are a ton of fun, but they tend to exclude one type of pilot or another. The shorter, slower flights aren't good for jets and the faster longer routes don't work well for GA aircraft. Some people want VFR, others IFR. The goal here is to bring everyone together with a fly-in event, where everyone comes from their "home" field to a central location.

What
KSNA Fly-In. Fly whatever plane you want from where ever you want, using which ever (legal) flight rules you want to John Wayne. Hang out on the ramp after arriving and watch as others come in. Chat with other pilots on the IRC channel. Jump on teamspeak for some hanger talk.

Where
Fly to John Wayne (KSNA) from somewhere in SoCal. Jets, feel free to come from LAX, SFO or wherever. Pistons, make the short hop up the cost from Palomar, or a longer hop over some mountains from Bakersfield. However long you want to fly, you come up with your route. The key is:

When
Arrive at KSNA on Saturday, April 26th at 2000 PDT (8:00pm). Notice, this is the arrival time. You will need to do the flight planning for your chosen route to get to SNA at the appropriate time. The key to this being a fun event is getting everyone into the airspace at the same time. Do your flight planning!

Event time zone converter

Resources
Skyvector for charts and flight planning.
MyFlightRoute for route generation/TEC lookup. Set "Destination Airport "to KSNA and get a random flight with whatever other parameters you want.
PIlotEdge IRC Chat for chatting during the event.
DigitalThemePark's Teamspeak: ts3.digitalthemepark.com (This does require a mod to give you citizenship if you've never been on before). I won't be on TS during the flight, but I'll jump in to chat afterwards.

I plan on streaming my flight, maybe some of the other streamers can join us as well. Let's get a lot of pilots online and have a great time!

Feel free to leave questions/RSVPs.
Reece Heinlein, PPL - IR, KMZZ
PilotEdge I-11
Alphabet Challenge
HarrierAV8

Re: [April 26, Sat 2000 PDT] KSNA Fly-In

Post by HarrierAV8 »

Sounds like fun! I plan on attending! Maybe fly the the T-34 over... Thanks for setting this up!
Jeff N

Post by Jeff N »

Neat idea, I'll be there.
tshuff

Post by tshuff »

One of these days I'll have a free day and join you guys :(.
Jack

Post by Jack »

I should be around for this one. Great idea. Not sure where I'll fly from yet.
FrigginGuy

Post by FrigginGuy »

I should be able to join you guys. If I can I'll stream it on twitch.tv/FrigginGuy. Look for the stream to start anytime around 1800-1900 Pacific Time. I'll join in on the Irc too, but unfortunately I don't have teamspeak. Looking forward to it!

Drew
Seattle, WA
KRNT
N434EP
Heavyflyer767

Post by Heavyflyer767 »

Oh yeah!! Here we go again. Thanks for that idea Pieces.
Maybe I'll have my speed brakes installed by then. LOL

Pat
Pieces

Post by Pieces »

I see a bunch of people flying into SNA. That is fantastic, but I hope people noticed that this is scheduled for the 26th (one week from today, the 19th). :) I scheduled it so far out because I figured people would be busy with the holiday weekend. Looking at the traffic levels today, that might have been a poor assumption.
Reece Heinlein, PPL - IR, KMZZ
PilotEdge I-11
Alphabet Challenge
Rick Stratman

Post by Rick Stratman »

Reece,

Yea the traffic on the network has been crazy busy, and I thought the fly-in was tonight as well. When I double checked I seen its next week.

Hats off the controllers keeping up with the traffic.

I even heard Keith tonight working hard :)
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

That was my fault, when I first saw the note about this fly-in, it was just after the last fly-in and I assumed it was this Saturday as I didn't do the math on the date properly. The first facebook post said, "this coming Saturday", but otherwise got all the dates right.

Earlier today, though,I made another FB post and reminded people the fly-in was tonight (with a link to the post again). Anthony brought it to my attention not long after and I deleted that post. Apologies to those who flew in tonight...there weren't many, so I don't think it ruined too many evenings :)

The traffic has been insane, I am actually shuddering slightly at what we might get at SNA for this event.