How feasible would a PE Poker Run Be?

Planning a flight, looking for others to come along?
currentadventure

How feasible would a PE Poker Run Be?

Post by currentadventure »

Just had a thought that this might be a neat format to get a bunch of people online at once. Set a date/time with 5 airports to fly too. Upon landing at each airport, each pilot would receive a card. After landing at all five airports, you would have a poker hand. Maybe someone could come up with some prizes for the top three hands or so. It would take some participation by the controllers and/or PE staff as someone would have to distribute the cards.

Just a thought. Questions? Comments? What do you think?

Is it even feasible Keith??
Brent Stanley
Wilmington, NC (KILM)
Inshore Charter Guide
Private Pilot, ASEL
http://www.currentadventurecharters.com
My PE callsign-N134WD
Pieces

Re: How feasible would a PE Poker Run Be?

Post by Pieces »

There has been some discussion of organizing a poker run in the IRC channel. I think it is definitely possible. I've considered putting together a website to track cards and things like that, but haven't gotten around to doing it yet.
Reece Heinlein, PPL - IR, KMZZ
PilotEdge I-11
Alphabet Challenge
FrigginGuy

Post by FrigginGuy »

You could mutate this into an Amazing Race style scavenger hunt using shared cockpits too. But I love poker just as much to be honest. :lol: you could do a shorter version as Texas Hold em and only fly to two and then post the other three online over the course of the event. All this sounds awesome!
Seattle, WA
KRNT
N434EP
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I've participated in Poker Runs in real life and online, they're a blast, but are a ton of work. If someone wants to take on the card management aspect of this, then we can talk about it, but we're stretched too thin right now to take on the whole thing.
ncsterno

Post by ncsterno »

Sounds like a blast!!
Chris Stern
PPL-Instrument Rated-ASEL
Cape Fear Flying Club
Wilmington, NC (KILM)
DA-40XLS N695DS
DA-40XLS N829DS
hoser70

Post by hoser70 »

I believe card management would be as easy as selecting a pre-determined frequency that pilots can call from all participating airports for their card(s). Then using this site (or a similar one) to divvy them out: http://www.random.org/playing-cards/

You'll need an excel sheet to keep track of them using the method above.

With five airports you'll need two cards on the first stop than one for the next three stops.
Thanks,
Lance

NDB Air
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I was looking for a site like that, thanks. That's a start. The TRACKING of cards is a part of it, too. We don't really have excess staff to handle it, so that's something we'd need to talk about internally unless someone wanted to volunteer to handle the issuing and tracking of the cards. Then there's the issue of prizes. I can work on that if this moves forward to the required point. A Poker Run is something I've always wanted to try on PE, it's just been a resource issue.
hoser70

Post by hoser70 »

Yep, I believe a simple excel spreadsheet would suffice for tracking.

I'd volunteer, but I WANNA FLY! :lol:

Oh and P.S. I think the order of stops should be open so it's not a big conga line.
Thanks,
Lance

NDB Air
currentadventure

Post by currentadventure »

hoser70 wrote:With five airports you'll need two cards on the first stop than one for the next three stops.
Either I'm having an Ah-hah moment or the math doesn't add up :roll:
Brent Stanley
Wilmington, NC (KILM)
Inshore Charter Guide
Private Pilot, ASEL
http://www.currentadventurecharters.com
My PE callsign-N134WD
hoser70

Post by hoser70 »

currentadventure wrote:
hoser70 wrote:With five airports you'll need two cards on the first stop than one for the next three stops.
Either I'm having an Ah-hah moment or the math doesn't add up :roll:

Well... if we are playing with a 5 card hand... 2 + 3 = 5 in my book... ;-) I'm counting the departure airport as one of the 5 which may be wrong though.
Thanks,
Lance

NDB Air