[May 31, 2014 - 1800 Pacific] KAPV Uncontrolled fly-in\out

Planning a flight, looking for others to come along?
C-JBCS

[May 31, 2014 - 1800 Pacific] KAPV Uncontrolled fly-in\out

Post by C-JBCS »

[Saturday May 31, 2014 - 1800 Pacific (0100 Zulu) (2100 Eastern)]

KAPV Uncontrolled fly-in\out:

Try to arrive or depart KAPV within +/- 10min of the above time. All are welcome (IFR or VFR), KAPV has published RNAV approaches and an ODP for those that would like to arrive or depart IFR... VFR pilots feel free conduct closed traffic work much as you'd like. If you would like to try and see if you can safely fit yourself in for crosswind practice as shown in the video below, have at it.

Airport information can be found here:
http://skyvector.com/airport/APV/Apple-Valley-Airport

The idea for the scheduled flight came from this video. Thought it would be neat to try and simulate similar or heavier traffic at an uncontrolled field with two runways...
http://youtu.be/vYKKm0nJ1G8

Weather: if possible, try to set up you simulator with real world weather. not at all a requirement or anything like that... Just might be preferable to do so in that everyone would be making decisions based on similar conditions... I'm using FSX and Active Sky Next. I know there are several freeware real world weather addons for fsx and fs9(2004) which might be worth looking into as I understand the native real world weather setting in those sims don't always work... I used to use one with great success, so post or pm me if I can help with that... X-Plane users have a working native setting in sim for real weather I believe. All of that being said, I suppose this might be a "weather permitting" event...

If anyone has an idea how to set up comms so pilots can chitchat and crack a beer afterward when not flying or conducting operations, That would be nifty. I'm not certain if that's been done here before or not.

Cheers,
Kevin_atc

Re: [May 31, 2014 - 1800 Pacific] KAPV Uncontrolled fly-in\o

Post by Kevin_atc »

Oh this should be a fun one! :P

Keep in mind for those pilots who choose to fly IFR, the earlier you cancel your IFR, the sooner the IFR guy behind you can begin his/her approach. Due to one-in-one-out separation, ATC cannot clear an IFR aircraft for an approach into an airport like KAPV if there is already an IFR aircraft inbound on an approach or released to depart from the airport IFR. Timing is everything therefore, pilots- be ready to hold!

Of course if you get short on time or just get tired of holding, cancelling IFR is always an option.

P.S. Whatever you do, don't forget to cancel your IFR with ATC (at the very latest) when you're safely on the ground otherwise we'll have to send in a search party for you! :)

Have fun, guys and gals.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
Pieces

Post by Pieces »

I should be able to make this one. I expect it will be quite chaotic.
Reece Heinlein, PPL - IR, KMZZ
PilotEdge I-11
Alphabet Challenge
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Pilots usually use 122.75 as an air to air freq to stay in touch with each other, so feel free to do that. If you want to simulate hanging out in the FBO and chatting, then 123.45 would be a good frequency to use as that is full duplex (ie. you can still hear others talking when you are transmitting).

For anyone who doesn't want to experience a 30-40 minute IFR departure delay (uncontrolled fields are not designed to handle a high volume of IFR operations), one option is to pick up your clearance on the ground, but include in your clearance readback, "I can depart VFR." This means you depart VFR at your discretion on the assigned beacon code (weather permitting, of course). Once airborne, check in with Socal. They will radar identify you and separation permitting will activate the IFR. If separation doesn't permit, you'll be told to maintain VFR for a bit longer until the required separation exists.

Here's a small primer on IFR non-towered ops: http://training.pilotedge.net/object/no ... tions.html

If you are not familiar with non-towered operations, I would urge you to do some practice ahead of the event to get used to self-announcing your positions. The keys to non-towered comms are to have awareness of where other aircraft are (through their correct and specific position reports), and to make specific and correct position reports yourself.

This should be an interesting one!
tshuff

Post by tshuff »

The future misses is gone this weekend... I do suspect I will be there.

Looks like a decent sized runway, can someone say airliner :lol:
hoser70

Post by hoser70 »

Glad this one is earlier than the past few as they were getting a bit too late for this old man (USA East Coast). :D
Thanks,
Lance

NDB Air
Pieces

Post by Pieces »

Is it possible to disable any drones into and out of APV during the event? They might cause problems since they don't have any ability to react to other traffic. Even NORDO traffic can see out the window and react.

Also, for other pilots: KVCV's D airspace starts about 4 miles west of KAPV. Don't want to go busting through there. :)
Reece Heinlein, PPL - IR, KMZZ
PilotEdge I-11
Alphabet Challenge
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Yes, we could take out the drone traffic for APV for this one. I'll see what kinda of traffic is there in the sequence.
C-JBCS

Post by C-JBCS »

Thanks for all the great input everyone! Looks like it will be interesting for sure.

If need be I suppose we could stretch the departure/arrival time frame as well, i.e. +/- 15min or 20min... Up to you guys if you think it would be necessary based on how many pilots expected... Any changes you guys decide on, I'll reflect in the first post with the details...

Cheers
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Historically, non-towered events have generated significantly less traffic than towered events, but I am curious to see how it goes.