VF&R Adventure #18 [Sat Aug 16 - 23:00 Zulu]

Planning a flight, looking for others to come along?
hoser70

VF&R Adventure #18 [Sat Aug 16 - 23:00 Zulu]

Post by hoser70 »

I would like to invite all PE members to join our little VFR gang as we fly our VF&R Adventure #18 Saturday with a final destination KSBA. We depart Jucumba (L78) at 23:00 Zulu and make a multi-leg trek working our way north, zig-zagging through mainly uncontrolled airspace before making our way further north for a landing at KSNA and our first controlled field. We head north from there over KLAX using your choice of VFR transition and make a stop at KVNY, make a stop at one more uncontrolled field before heading to our final destination of Santa Barbara (KSBA). This all of course, takes place on PilotEdge Saturday, August 16, departing at 23:00 Zulu (4:00 PM PDT).

What does VF&R mean? Well it's just how we say VFR...VEE EFF and AREEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! ;-)

I'll be in the A2A Cherokee but any aircraft that cruises in the 100-120 knot range is more than welcome. If you want to fly faster, that's just fine as well. Can't make the departure time at L78? That's ok, just come find us along the way. 

Ready to join us then? Well alrighty! Let's get to the details, shall we...

There are a total of nine (9) stops on this adventure with a couple short fields and some mountain dodging in the Palm Springs area.

VF&R Adventure #18 - PilotEdge

Route Map: 
SkyVector Sectional Route... (opens in new window)

Date: Saturday, August 16, 2014
Wheels Up: 23:00z (4:00 PM PDT)
Suggested Scenery: Use what ya Got!
Suggested Aircraft: A2A Cherokee or C172 or similar aircraft (I'll be in the Cherokee)
Route/Stops: L78 L54 KSAS KUDD 0CA8 CA42 KSNA KVNY KSZP KSBA
Distance: 287 nm
Shortest / Longest Runways: 1800 ft / 8000 ft
Flight Plans: FSX/X-Plane/Plan-G (zip file containing all 3)
Teamspeak: IP Posted Here day of Flight
Teamspeak Password: vfr

Plan on cruise speeds between 100 - 120 IAS.

Please join Teamspeak if you have it as it helps facilitate communication.  Teamspeak is also where we coordinate our next leg departures. We will plan on monitoring 123.45) CTAF frequency via the PE client when not in controlled airspace and unicom at uncontrolled fields. The language on the teamspeak channel can get "colorful", so if you have sensitive ears or folks within earshot, please keep that in mind. ;-)

Jump on Teamspeak by 22:50 zulu if you can so we can be ready to depart by 23:00 zulu.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reply or send me a message. We hope to see you Saturday for the adventure! ;-)
Last edited by hoser70 on Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
Thanks,
Lance

NDB Air
Jeff N

Re: VF&R Adventure #18

Post by Jeff N »

This looks like fun. I'll try to join, if not at L78 then somewhere along the way.
hoser70

Re: VF&R Adventure #18

Post by hoser70 »

Jeff N wrote:This looks like fun. I'll try to join, if not at L78 then somewhere along the way.
Excellent Jeff. Hope to see you Saturday.
Thanks,
Lance

NDB Air
Roger Wigfield

Re: VF&R Adventure #18 [Sat Aug 16 - 23:00 Zulu]

Post by Roger Wigfield »

Sounds like great fun. I'll be there.
If you want to cross LAX without a controller there is a procedure on the LA TAC.
I am attaching a pic of the Santa Paula, KSZP traffic procedures for RWY 22. (22 is the calm wind runway.) Kind of tricky flying the DW leg between the mountain and runway.
See ya Saturday.
Roger
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 8611 times
hoser70

Post by hoser70 »

Thanks Roger... Yep, the SFRA route is what I'll be taking over LAX on Saturday. Cool picture and instructions for KSZP. Thanks for posting that.
Thanks,
Lance

NDB Air
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

Lance, thanks for organizing. This sounds like a lot of fun.

Does a total trip duration of around 4 hours (including taxi/stop/turnaround time) sound about right? If so, that's 4:00pm PDT to ~8:00pm PDT... which means I might be able to join for the last third or so (...once the kids are in bed!).
-Cyrus Kapadia. A few RW hours in a C172, then a 15 year hiatus. Joined PE in Dec'12, then took a break. Now I'm back, learning fast and loving it. If I'm on, it's usually between 22h and midnight EST with Baron 258E, Skyhawk 176CM or Learjet 66L.
hoser70

Post by hoser70 »

Cyrus wrote:Lance, thanks for organizing. This sounds like a lot of fun.

Does a total trip duration of around 4 hours (including taxi/stop/turnaround time) sound about right? If so, that's 4:00pm PDT to ~8:00pm PDT... which means I might be able to join for the last third or so (...once the kids are in bed!).
Normally with this distance we can get it done in about 3 hours. We normally like to land, watch the show (especially if it's a difficult approach or short runway) and then depart on the next leg after everyone has landed. If there's more than 6 or 7 aircraft, that can extend the duration. Working with ATC at the controlled fields could had a few minutes as well.

If we have more than 6 aircraft, we may want to land, taxi back and then start the next leg just to keep the flow going, but we can play that by ear.

By all means though, please join in when and wherever you can. The more the merrier.
Thanks,
Lance

NDB Air
hoser70

Post by hoser70 »

Thinking about it some more, this is one of the longer flights I've organized in a "slow" plane so yes, we could be stretching it to close to 4 hours. Come and find us when you can. :)
Thanks,
Lance

NDB Air
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

Great. I'm excited about this. Hope I can make it.

Will have to get TeamSpeak going again on new computer. Only been on it once before.

Do you guys stay in the IRC chat room as well, or just communicate via TS?
-Cyrus Kapadia. A few RW hours in a C172, then a 15 year hiatus. Joined PE in Dec'12, then took a break. Now I'm back, learning fast and loving it. If I'm on, it's usually between 22h and midnight EST with Baron 258E, Skyhawk 176CM or Learjet 66L.
hoser70

Post by hoser70 »

TS is there for anyone that wants to use it. We talk some crap in there, but we can also use a common radio freq on PE if you don't want to install TS. 123.45 worked last time. I'll make sure I'm in the IRC channel as well.
Thanks,
Lance

NDB Air