[Oct 5 1800PDT] Birthday Bash!

Planning a flight, looking for others to come along?
Cyrus

Re: [Oct 5 1800PDT] Birthday Bash!

Post by Cyrus »

and if you really can't jump into the cockpit this evening, just fire up the PE audio receiver and watch what goes down on the map.
-Cyrus Kapadia. A few RW hours in a C172, then a 15 year hiatus. Joined PE in Dec'12, then took a break. Now I'm back, learning fast and loving it. If I'm on, it's usually between 22h and midnight EST with Baron 258E, Skyhawk 176CM or Learjet 66L.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

We might have more controllers online than usual tonight, so the receiver won't necessarily pick everything up. For example, we might have the combined socal approach position staffed, which won't be covered by the receiver. Or, we might fire up the Glendale sector (134.20) with a dedicated controller since VNY and BUR are going to have a workout.

Looking forward to tonight, have been away on a 1 week trip and was absolutely swamped with meetings and coding while I was away so I haven't had time to get back to the questions that were raised in this thread. I'll do my best to catch up this week.

I have the all clear to fly or control tonight, too, not sure which I'm going to do yet, but it'll be one of the two!
sronayne96

Post by sronayne96 »

Come on Keith.. do some controlling at least for the sake of nostalgia! :lol: I'm staying up till the early hours to fly this thing. Hope to you hear you on the scope in about 2 hours! Oh and of course a very happy birthday to PE I'm just so happy to have been a part of it for just over a third of those 3 years. To many more! :)
Seán Ronayne
Twitter: @sronayne96
PPL student at Weston Airport, Ireland. (EIWT)
sronayne96

Post by sronayne96 »

Well that was absolute chaos! The comm failure on approach was particularly fun! Thanks to all the controllers who worked the scope on the night. I don't know how you held it together, you did an unbelievable job :)
Last edited by sronayne96 on Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Seán Ronayne
Twitter: @sronayne96
PPL student at Weston Airport, Ireland. (EIWT)
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

Cross posting, but wanted to throw in my experience...

Wow. Just wow. That was thrilling. I was on short final for VNY at the moment "Black Sunday" hit. I went missed (not knowing the proper missed proc.), basically did a right traffic. Then - low and behold - I ran out of fuel on the downwind!! Ditched down on a highway just to the northwest of VNY. Overall though, that was awesome. I just hope the blood pressure was manageable in the ATC facilities :)

Happy Birthday, PE! No more getting "DRUNK" on your birthday, you naughty boy :lol:
-Cyrus Kapadia. A few RW hours in a C172, then a 15 year hiatus. Joined PE in Dec'12, then took a break. Now I'm back, learning fast and loving it. If I'm on, it's usually between 22h and midnight EST with Baron 258E, Skyhawk 176CM or Learjet 66L.
flyingdrill

Post by flyingdrill »

Oh my! Apart from me tangling the joystick up (causing an erratic takeoff!), and having an autopilot problem (which I sorted), that was quite an exercise. Not as neat as I would have liked it to be, but safe and sound :)

I was just getting to FIM (going to VNY from SMX), and the comms was getting very difficult to hear. Then everything went totally quiet! I later learned it was a server problem.

Not knowing this, I decided to initiate lost comms procedure, after trying out one or two frequencies, including 121.5! Squawked 7600, and although I couldn't get an ATIS from Van Nuys (not even from X-Plane!), and I hadn't been told to expect an approach or runway - because I hadn't made contact with SoCal App. - I decided to do what is expected, held the assigned altitude, and went to Umber, as per the approach plate. Then I got disconnected from PE. Oh dear. I tried to reconnect. No joy. By then I was flying the ILS into 16R. I tried again to connect, and "BINGO", I was on again, and saw a plane ahead. The Tower said I was number 2 and cleared me to land, which I did and taxied off. In the excitement of all this, I misread the chart, but sorted out where I was, parked as per the instructions, and shut down.

I think it was fun ;)

Having a Redbird session tomorrow. I think it'll be a piece of cake after this!

Happy birthday PE.
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

I was crossing Filmore descending for 5000 and heading 070 as my last instruction when we lost the radios. I changed to Van Nuys tower/CTAF and got nothing, so I went with traffic advisory calls and at least didn't embarrass myself. Will now brush up on lost comms procedure.

Wouldn't mind a PE staffer jumping in with an explaination of exactly what the real world would do. I guess the chance of center, app/dep and tower all being off at the same time is not likely.

Happy Birthday Keith and PE team--the "Black Sunday" event made it a blast.

Steve
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge
snglecoil

Post by snglecoil »

That was a lot of fun! I think I was one of the last 2 to get into Van Nuys before the server issue. So I was sitting at the northwest hangers watching blissfully ignorant, wondering why everyone was going around. Honestly, I'm a little bummed I wasn't still in the air. Not everyday you get to experience lost coms. Happy birthday to PE! Very thankful that Keith was bold enough to launch this service. Looking forward to the next 3 years!
Chris
PE Call signs: N714VA or N619CT
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

snglecoil wrote:Honestly, I'm a little bummed I wasn't still in the air. Not everyday you get to experience lost coms.
Makes me think a "Lost Comms Fly-In" might be a fun event to schedule :idea: ;)
snglecoil wrote:Very thankful that Keith was bold enough to launch this service.
Well said!
Rey Lopez

Post by Rey Lopez »

What makes you think we didn't do it on purpose? 8-) :lol: ;) :o :shock:

Glad everyone had a fun time, we had a great time on the scope side and can't wait to do it again!

BTW for those asking, here is the section of the AIM describing two way radio failure. https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publica ... m0604.html

RJ