[Oct 5 1800PDT] Birthday Bash!

Planning a flight, looking for others to come along?
500nmMission

Re: [Oct 5 1800PDT] Birthday Bash!

Post by 500nmMission »

I was following the map and ATC. My first time observing - don't have a sim yet. It was confusing, but hey I got exposed. I'm thinking having seen all hell break loose I had a valuable first exposure learning experience.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

if by 'following ATC' you meant you were using the Receiver, then you would've only heard roughly half of the interactions. We had additional controllers staffing 134.20 and various ground/tower positions that wouldn't have been covered by the Receiver, unfortunately.

I'll be posting a video of the scope from this event as soon as I can. Unfortunately it's going to take some editing and narration because my recording software decided not to capture the mic input (still haven't found out the reason why, but I was able to replicate it). The profile I use for streaming works great, but the profile for local recording no longer captures audio, even though the audio settings are identical (also double checked by another streamer).

Hopefully the video will give some insight as to what the delay vectors were all about :)
Kim Ellis

Post by Kim Ellis »

I couldn't let the Birthday Bash pass into history without some comment. After speaking with a number of you, watching all the available video, and pouring over the stills, I think it has to have been about one of the best short term online events, right up there with WorldFlight, etc. It had everything. Keith and the lads could not have planned it better had they tried, and a server crash was icing. I am humbled by the comments my beloved 744 illicits. Don't worry I had my fair share of troubles too, the frequency change bug on short final (too late to logoff and back on in time to get a clearance, although ATC very kindly bent the rules), a misbehaving onboard FD, and a misbehaving off board old PC, a slow trans Pacific link, etc. But that is nothing compared to the raised blood pressure, sweaty palms, etc that so many of us get on PE. And yes lads I talk slower than Yanks, preferring the Auzzie drawl. And no I don't have 9 beers before take off to make me talk that way. Etc, etc, LOL. BTW, it was a superb night. My compliments and thanks to Keith and the team for just such plain fun.
tshuff

Post by tshuff »

Kim Ellis wrote:And no I don't have 9 beers before take off to make me talk that way. Etc, etc, LOL. BTW, it was a superb night. My compliments and thanks to Keith and the team for just such plain fun.
Oops. :mrgreen:

Always a blast flying around you Kim. Wouldn't be the same without the accent, occasional comm issues, and a runway overrun :).
Peter Grey

Post by Peter Grey »

For those who want to hear the first opening announcement from when the network opened it is available here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rluyv88g4urpi ... g.mp3?dl=0
Peter Grey
PilotEdge Director of Quality Assurance and Operations
peter@pilotedge.net
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

Thanks for digging that up, Peter.

Actually, it should really belong in here... :lol:
-Cyrus Kapadia. A few RW hours in a C172, then a 15 year hiatus. Joined PE in Dec'12, then took a break. Now I'm back, learning fast and loving it. If I'm on, it's usually between 22h and midnight EST with Baron 258E, Skyhawk 176CM or Learjet 66L.