[Jan 16, 1815 PST] L90-AVX with many stops

Planning a flight, looking for others to come along?
N5344K

Re: [Jan 16, 1815 PST] L90-AVX with many stops

Post by N5344K »

Keith Smith wrote:
N5344K wrote:OK, so I departed L90 (red/white Cherokee) and flew to Borrego, announcing on the charted freqs (122.9, 122.8 respectively), and didn't hear a soul at Borrego until I landed on rwy 8, which was the appropriate runway given my REX real-time ATIS. On rollout, I was met with a fast-moving aircraft departing 26.

I dorked up my initial approach to Borrego, but reported and fixed said dork-up. :) Listening to the recordings on 122.8, I was the only aircraft announcing until a whole mess of people announced departure on runway 26.

Did I miss something?
You did not. It was a mistake on my part. It was pretty disorganized coming out of L90, I was late due to an unexpected required reboot, and we left in a bit of a hurry. Initial plan was to swap to CTAF for both fields but then the general vote was it was going to be hard enough as is, and none of us considered that there might be someone waiting there who wasn't at L90 (that's my mistake). So, 123.45 was used for the arrival, I apologize for that, it was a pretty serious mistake and wasn't considerate of those that might have been at the field.

For the departure, we got things together in more detail and opted to use the CTAF from that point on, which is why you heard the calls. For all the subsequent legs, we used 123.45 for briefing, then CTAF for departure, back to 123.45 for enroute, then CTAF for arrival, then 123.45 for debrief and briefing of next leg. Rinse and repeat. It got better and better on each leg as we got used to working together. I apologize for us not being on the comms at that second field for the arrival.
No apology necessary- I DID in fact miss something, which was your initial post saying 123.45 would be the coord freq. :) Plus I initially set myself up on a nice right downwind for 26 at Borrego, thinking it was 8. D'oh!

I watched you guys on Twitch a bit later in the evening, it looked like a great time. I'll try to make the next one.
Pat (N5344K)
RW classic Cessna driver, PE VFR enthusiast, budding IFR student
Marcus Becker

Re: [Jan 16, 1815 PST] L90-AVX with many stops

Post by Marcus Becker »

The .org store has the Dreamflight 206 up now as their 24 hour sale if anybody was interested in it. Figured I put it here due to the recent popularity.