[Jan 16, 1815 PST] L90-AVX with many stops

Planning a flight, looking for others to come along?
Keith Smith

[Jan 16, 1815 PST] L90-AVX with many stops

Post by Keith Smith »

Route: L90 L08 F70 NEWPO KSLI KHHR KCPM KAVX (skyvector link)

Time: 1815 PST startup at L90, departure a 5-10 minutes after

Speed: 120kias

Altitude: around 1000-2000ft AGL to allow for fixed wing participants as well

Comms: 123.45 for enroute (no f/f planned), then CTAF for arrival/departures. If there are issues with 123.45, we'll revert to the PE TS3 server (controllers.pilotedge.net), I'll also be on the IRC channel (http://irc.pilotedge.net/).

Aircraft: I'm using a Bell JetRanger, you're welcome to fly anything you like that can do 120kias. FIXED wing and ROTARY wing are both welcome. We're not visiting any rooftop helipads on this one!

Note: all of the airports are non-towered (KSLI isn't towered on PE) with the exception of KHHR. For anyone not wanting to hit KHHR, feel free to go from KSLI to KCPM, I'll meet you at KCPM before heading to KAVX, as shown in the route.

Why on earth?
With my helicopter addiction in full swing, I'm liberating a JetRanger on FSEconomy from Octillo Wells airport (L90), bring it over to AVX where it can become a sightseeing workhorse for the AVX to Pebbly Beach runs.

I'd rather minimize the length of non-revenue legs (just for fun, really, the virtual cost of doing a non-rev from L90 to AVX is actually very low). Since there aren't any charter jobs from L90 to AVX, I'm having to get creative with my route. The proposed routes are a collection of existing FSE charter flights that I have snapped up, with the exception of the F70 stop which is there to allow a few existing helicopters which are already parked there on FSE. Of course, the real goal was to do a bunch of takeoffs and landings along the way anyway to make for a fun group flight.

At the end of the exercise, if all goes well, there will be quite a few rentable helicopters at AVX on FSEconomy for future use!

Anyone is welcome to come along. You don't have to fly the whole route. Feel free to meet up with us at any of the stop, and feel free to call it a night at any time.

Looking forward to it, I haven't done one of these in a while!
Keith Smith

Re: [Jan 16, 1815 PST] L90-AVX with many stops

Post by Keith Smith »

For X-Plane users, here is the HD CSL for the Jetranger. To use it, just move the Bell206 folder from the zip into your xplane/Resources/plugins/PilotEdge/VSPro Resources/CSL folder. If you do join in as a Bell Jetranger, be sure to use the correct ICAO code which B06.

And while we're at it, here's the HD Robinson R22 CSL, too.

To see these in action, park yourself at KAVX and enjoy the view. There are a bunch of Jetranger drones that operate from both sides of the ramp. There is a single R22 drone that operates from the west side of the ramp.
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

I will absolutely be there. Looking forward to seeing a bunch of pilots take part!
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Excellent, Chris, I added the F70 stop specifically for you :)
David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert »

I'm sure I can make that as it will be around 23.00 here.
Normal call sign: N8295L or TPX
asad112

Post by asad112 »

You all and your fancy helicopter skills. I'll be there in a fixed-winged.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I'm going to go ahead and assume that was for Chris. My helicopter skills are a long way from fancy! During the rooftop fun at City Hall, one of the viewers in the twitch stream said, "everyone over one position to the right". I very nearly died in the process and it took me at least 10 minutes before I was back on the pad again. Mind you, it was a bit crowded and everyone was making genuine efforts not to hit each other. Well, at least until Ty swapped from a P28A to a B732. A few of us took a beating when that CSL loaded up :)
Peter Grey

Post by Peter Grey »

I'll be there in the trusty C172, no helicopter death trap for me.
Peter Grey
PilotEdge Director of Quality Assurance and Operations
peter@pilotedge.net
David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert »

I'm in the UK Keith so on GMT. Ever since watching on of your streams and having the aha moment with trimming the helicopter I'm ok in the 407. Helicopters defy physics though and should be considered witchcraft :-)
Normal call sign: N8295L or TPX