[Jan 16, 1815 PST] L90-AVX with many stops

Planning a flight, looking for others to come along?
Rush

Re: [Jan 16, 1815 PST] L90-AVX with many stops

Post by Rush »

I was hoping to join in tonight in the A2A 172 but I didnt get on my flight home. Gotta catch the later flight :( would love to hear how it goes.
kullery

Post by kullery »

X-plane users can download this quick airport scenery file. Move the "L90" folder from the zip into your xplane/Custom Scenery folder.

It's just a bunch of helipads to help spread out the initial onslaught of helicopters. Is this unrealistic?? SURE it is, but not any more unrealistic then having this many helicopters appear at Ocotillo Airport.
Ken Ullery - PPL-SEL, 1G5
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Ken, nice work at short notice :) I plan on just dragging the helicopter to a random spot before connecting.
N5344K

Post by N5344K »

OK, so I departed L90 (red/white Cherokee) and flew to Borrego, announcing on the charted freqs (122.9, 122.8 respectively), and didn't hear a soul at Borrego until I landed on rwy 8, which was the appropriate runway given my REX real-time ATIS. On rollout, I was met with a fast-moving aircraft departing 26.

I dorked up my initial approach to Borrego, but reported and fixed said dork-up. :) Listening to the recordings on 122.8, I was the only aircraft announcing until a whole mess of people announced departure on runway 26.

Did I miss something?

I tried to get back on but the combination of FSX fatal errors and wife calling me for dinner cut that short. :lol:
Pat (N5344K)
RW classic Cessna driver, PE VFR enthusiast, budding IFR student
bawells

Post by bawells »

This was a blast despite my poor old C172 being about the slowest in the pack!

A fun twist in the future could be doing some Top Gear style challenges/races...

Anyways, here is a couple of screen grabs I took at the start and the finish, thanks again for putting this together Keith!
pe_fly_in_start.png
pe_fly_in_start.png (1.79 MiB) Viewed 6493 times
pe_fly_in_end.png
pe_fly_in_end.png (2.73 MiB) Viewed 6493 times
Ben Wells
N384BW
Twitch: uberb0t
Alphabet Challenge
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

N5344K wrote:OK, so I departed L90 (red/white Cherokee) and flew to Borrego, announcing on the charted freqs (122.9, 122.8 respectively), and didn't hear a soul at Borrego until I landed on rwy 8, which was the appropriate runway given my REX real-time ATIS. On rollout, I was met with a fast-moving aircraft departing 26.

I dorked up my initial approach to Borrego, but reported and fixed said dork-up. :) Listening to the recordings on 122.8, I was the only aircraft announcing until a whole mess of people announced departure on runway 26.

Did I miss something?
You did not. It was a mistake on my part. It was pretty disorganized coming out of L90, I was late due to an unexpected required reboot, and we left in a bit of a hurry. Initial plan was to swap to CTAF for both fields but then the general vote was it was going to be hard enough as is, and none of us considered that there might be someone waiting there who wasn't at L90 (that's my mistake). So, 123.45 was used for the arrival, I apologize for that, it was a pretty serious mistake and wasn't considerate of those that might have been at the field.

For the departure, we got things together in more detail and opted to use the CTAF from that point on, which is why you heard the calls. For all the subsequent legs, we used 123.45 for briefing, then CTAF for departure, back to 123.45 for enroute, then CTAF for arrival, then 123.45 for debrief and briefing of next leg. Rinse and repeat. It got better and better on each leg as we got used to working together. I apologize for us not being on the comms at that second field for the arrival.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Brett, thx for posting and thx for coming. Those lights look way off. Are you running HDR on or off? Are they stock lighting settings or have you modified them in xplane?
snglecoil

Post by snglecoil »

That was a lot of fun. Great getting to hang out with everyone. At first I wasn't sure if being fixed wing was going to work well, but with a good mix of both it ended up working out very nicely.
Chris
PE Call signs: N714VA or N619CT
David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert »

May have to organise an earlier fly in that is a bit more euro friendly time. It looked like a lot of fun.
Normal call sign: N8295L or TPX
bawells

Post by bawells »

Keith Smith wrote:Are you running HDR on or off? Are they stock lighting settings or have you modified them in xplane?
That's the Real Terra Haze plugin I think. Been playing around with it and haven't quite got the lighting effects dialed in - it adds a bloom that looks great on ground lighting from the sky but not so much on aircraft/up close.
Ben Wells
N384BW
Twitch: uberb0t
Alphabet Challenge