March 29th - Poker Run!

Planning a flight, looking for others to come along?
ChrisS

March 29th - Poker Run!

Post by ChrisS »

Hi folks.

Thanks to the efforts of the infamous Ken Ullery, we're ready to launch the first ever community led Poker Run!

Here's the run down on how it's going to work:
  • 1) The event will run from 1500Z 29 Mar 15 when the network opens until 0100Z 30 Mar 15. (9pm Eastern, 6pm Pacific)

2) The start point is Oceano County (L52) where almost all of us took our first steps on PilotEdge.

3) File a flight plan through your sim client or through the PilotEdge website to Santa Ynez (KIZA).

4) Fly to Santa Ynez and log your flight under the Poker Run button on the MyFlightRoute website. There, you'll receive a card which will be locked to your PilotEdge ID.

5) Receive your next destination from the MyFlightRoute website, and carry on with your journey!

6) Five legs will be flown, with a card awarded for each stop. The trip total is about 200nm.
Bonus card! A bonus card will be drawn for each participant who completes the entire poker run and is present at the last stop at 0100Z. The card will be drawn on stream on my twitch.tv stream and announced on 123.45 as they're drawn. You can still win the poker run if you don't attend the closing ceremonies, but having a bonus card up your sleeve is never a bad thing, right?

Prizes! There may be prizes beyond the usual free day of VATSIM membership. I'll update this page once I have everything set in stone, but at the very least I'm going to throw in a signed 8x10 glossy of yours truly with a personalized message for you and/or your wife!

Bold Font! Keep an eye on this page for updates as they're available. Tell your friends, family, co-workers, arch-nemesis, congressman, favourite internet celebrities and even some of your flying buddies about this and let's make it the biggest PE fly-in ever!

Nelson L.

Re: March 29th - Poker Run!

Post by Nelson L. »

ChrisS wrote:The start point is Oceano County (L52) where almost all of us took our first steps on PilotEdge.
Guess I'm the exception then :) Can't imagine all the work that must have went into planning this - thanks very much to all who helped organize this thing! Can't wait for Thursday, good thing I'm off on Friday - I'll have all night to sit in front of a computer as my life wastes away... *Goes to cancel Thursday night dinner plans with the usual excuses*
X-Plane 10.45
Pilotedge - V3/I11 (N2253F; UAL/CAL 2253; TPX___)
Alphabet Challenge - 2 Legs Completed
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

Thanks Nelson! Ken did almost all the work. Just to be clear though the event runs on Sunday the 29th! Hope to see you there.
Pieces

Post by Pieces »

Damn. Will be travelling that Sunday :(. I may have to install x-plane on my laptop and try to haul the x52 along.
Reece Heinlein, PPL - IR, KMZZ
PilotEdge I-11
Alphabet Challenge
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

Pieces wrote:Damn. Will be travelling that Sunday :(. I may have to install x-plane on my laptop and try to haul the x52 along.
I'll be home, but I now have a secondary PC stashed at a remote office when I travel, just for such a situation...
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge
Nelson L.

Post by Nelson L. »

ChrisS wrote:Thanks Nelson! Ken did almost all the work. Just to be clear though the event runs on Sunday the 29th! Hope to see you there.
For the record, 19 and 29 are only 1 number away from each other :) Whoops.....
X-Plane 10.45
Pilotedge - V3/I11 (N2253F; UAL/CAL 2253; TPX___)
Alphabet Challenge - 2 Legs Completed
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Sounds great! I'm a complete newb, and as it happens, I've been planning to do the Oceano-KIZA run just for fun. Now I have an even more fun reason! Looking forward to it.
tngarner

Post by tngarner »

Looking forward to this.

Are you planning to post the destinations prior to Sunday or do we get the next destination when we land at the first stop? Trying to do some advanced flight planning.
Marietta, GA (KRYY)
PPL-ASEL
fivechickens

Post by fivechickens »

*considers adding a transponder to the powered glider
PE V3 - I11 Rated - All in a Helicopter (BH407, BK117, S-92)
Alphabet Challenge in a Helicopter - 2 legs completed.
kullery

Post by kullery »

tngarner wrote:Looking forward to this.

Are you planning to post the destinations prior to Sunday or do we get the next destination when we land at the first stop? Trying to do some advanced flight planning.
Subsequent destinations given out at each stop when you claim your card.
Ken Ullery - PPL-SEL, 1G5