Regular CTAF day?

Planning a flight, looking for others to come along?
crum

Regular CTAF day?

Post by crum »

Hey all,

Following the Keith's notice on User-organized fly-outs how about to establish something like a regular CTAF day?

We could choose couple of uncontrolled airfields neraby to practice pattern work, joining and leaving patterns and so on. Those could be the same airfields each time or we could select different ones to make it more fun.

The recent Poker Run was great training in this regard and it would be nice to have same kind of CTAF practice with many participants on regular basis.

As for me (from UTC+3 timezone) Saturday or Sunday morning/day would be prefect.

How about you? Do you want/need such practice? What day/time suits you best?
Last edited by crum on Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Artem Crum
EASA PPL(A) SEL, not current
stevekirks

Re: Regular CTAF day?

Post by stevekirks »

My local training airport is non-controlled and sits just north of a Class C airport. I'd be up for something like a currency flight, where we do pattern work at the non-tower then touch and go over at the Charlie then back to the original airport. Would help stretch my real world comm skills.
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge
crum

Post by crum »

Yep, I'm doing exactly the same exercises now at L19 - several local circuits, then several circuits at KBFL (class D) and back. Refreshing my skills after long period of not flying. Doing the same training with other pilots will be much more fun.
Artem Crum
crum

Post by crum »

Ok, here is the deal.

This Saturday and Sunday, 4-5 April, 1900-2200UTC — CTAF days at L19-KBFL

Starting from L19 and working in the pattern there, then going for T&G to KBFL and then back to L19.

Full CTAF communication is required at and nearby L19 — from initial taxi to runway clearance after landing.

L19:
A/FD — note the traffic pattern altitude.

KBFL:
A/FD
Airport Diagram

Suggested route from L19 to KBFL and back: at SkyVector.

The event is mostly for novice pilots who are making first steps in PE environment, but all others who'd like to de-rust their CTAF skills at small airfields are welcome too.

If anyone needs an example transcript of all required communications, let me know. They are pretty simple.

p. s.
Free fuel for FSE users at L19 FBO during the event :-)
Artem Crum
Pieces

Re: Regular CTAF day!

Post by Pieces »

Hey Artem... sounds like a fun event. I suspect you'll get a better turnout and response if you create a new thread with the prescribed title format. People won't know you've actually scheduled anything just by looking at the title of this thread.
Reece Heinlein, PPL - IR, KMZZ
PilotEdge I-11
Alphabet Challenge
crum

Re: Regular CTAF day!

Post by crum »

You must be right Reece. Will make a separate thread for it..

upd: 4-5 April, 1900-2200z — CTAF days at L19-KBFL
Artem Crum