[April 26] Sun N Fun Fly In

Planning a flight, looking for others to come along?
crum

Re: [April 26] Sun N Fun Fly In

Post by crum »

Will try hard to participate.

1900Z is preferred, but 1800Z is pretty much ok too.

L35 is preferred over 46CA (never been at CL46 yet), but afterall it doesn't matter - any choice will be fine for me.
Artem Crum
EASA PPL(A) SEL, not current
Nelson L.

Post by Nelson L. »

chevyrules wrote:Currently I am thinking about doing it at CL46. It's a nice little field, but unlike 46CA makes it more accessible for heavies to join in. I want to encourage people to bring in all types of planes( within reason of course, no B-52's :p) and not just limit it to GA's.
Hold on, who says you can't bring a 73 into the ranch? ;) That being said, any field you choose will work just fine. The only things to consider are "does it have scenery" and "is it unique". Would it be better to have scenery? Yes. Absolutely required? Usually, no, but for an event like this, depends (IMO). For the "uniqueness" aspect, I'm still a fan of Big Bear for the surrounding scenery, high altitude, and long runway. Like I said though, any field you choose will work just fine.
X-Plane 10.45
Pilotedge - V3/I11 (N2253F; UAL/CAL 2253; TPX___)
Alphabet Challenge - 2 Legs Completed
chevyrules

Post by chevyrules »

Nelson L. wrote:
chevyrules wrote:Currently I am thinking about doing it at CL46. It's a nice little field, but unlike 46CA makes it more accessible for heavies to join in. I want to encourage people to bring in all types of planes( within reason of course, no B-52's :p) and not just limit it to GA's.
Hold on, who says you can't bring a 73 into the ranch? ;) That being said, any field you choose will work just fine. The only things to consider are "does it have scenery" and "is it unique". Would it be better to have scenery? Yes. Absolutely required? Usually, no, but for an event like this, depends (IMO). For the "uniqueness" aspect, I'm still a fan of Big Bear for the surrounding scenery, high altitude, and long runway. Like I said though, any field you choose will work just fine.
Not everyone is Peter. :p I tried and failed today.

I like Big Bear as well because of the long runway making it easy for heavies to come in( got a 777-300ER to stop in time). But you do lose the small airport aspect. You'll find room for everyone most likely to fit at Big Bear. Big Bear is still under consideration. What may push it in favor or big bear is it doesn't require everyone to have scenery. I will need to see if CL46 is a dirt field without Chris's scenery.
Nelson L.

Post by Nelson L. »

While dirt fields are great in real life (again, from my vast real world experience of 0 hours), I would advise using caution in-sim. I know for a fact that there are issues with dirt in XP, and I personally can't stand the aircraft bobbing on takeoff and landing. Its almost certainly overdone (could a real world pilot confirm?), based on the fact that if I hold brakes full in, and apply thrust, I shouldn't move. Also, I'm pretty sure it doesn't take full throttle to move on dirt...... What might work is having a "dirt" strip be a modified asphalt texture, which I think Ken did in one of his sceneries.
X-Plane 10.45
chevyrules

Post by chevyrules »

CL46 is asphalt so that isn't worry, but the runway is only 3100 ft. Guess it looked longer than it really was. So Big Bear may end up being the location.
Nelson L.

Post by Nelson L. »

An idea would be to close one half of the field to simulate "VIP Parking", so the remaining space is limited, simulating a "small" airport. Also, does anyone have good scenery for Big Bear? :roll:

Hmm, never mind. A quick search on the googles proved my ignorance...
http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app ... file=19342
X-Plane 10.45
crum

Post by crum »

For those in FSX/P3D, ORBX has a freeware edition of L35, which is quite nice: https://fullterrain.com/freeware/global
Artem Crum
EASA PPL(A) SEL, not current
chevyrules

Post by chevyrules »

Final Details:

Where: Destination airport will be L35 Big Bear. Expect some taxiway closures and ramp closures upon arrival.

When: 2:00 PM EDT, 18:00 zulu.

Q. What planes can I fly?

Any plane you desire within reason of course. I want a good mix of planes, not just GA's. Bring in a 737, 727, 747, if you like.

Q: Is 2:00 PM/1800Z time the time we should be arriving into Big Bear? No, that should be about the time you should depart.

Q: Where should I depart?

Anywhere that is close to Big Bear where you can arrive at L35 around 2:20 PM EDT/1830Z with the plane you plan on bringing in.

Some things to know before arriving!

The north ramp and taxiway B is closed off for the event for VIP's( aka for non-participatory aircraft). All participating people please use the southern ramp and taxiway Alpha for parking. :)

Heavy parking will be the helipads located on the western end of the field near rwy 8. Heli's please use GA parking. :) I will try to be among the first to arrive and I am bringing the 732( departing out of 46CA). Use me as a reference if you have different scenery for those planning to bring in the big birds and park to the left of me( I will be using the most eastern helipad).

Use the normal CTAF frequency.

Any other questions I will be glad to answer!
Last edited by chevyrules on Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
BradCrain

Post by BradCrain »

First off, hello everyone. Very new to pilot edge and loving it so far, especially when seeing fun events like this. now to the reason for the post. Downloaded the scenery for x-plain that Nelson L posted. Don't know what scenery addition( hdmesh, world2xplain maybe?) was messing with it, but i had trees and random building all over the place. Easy enough to fix with a few exclusions and some time changing things arounds. Had a few questions though. First, would it be frowned upon to share this edited scenery for anyone else planning attending that uses Xplane? ( save some people the trouble) All credit of course going to Aerospace, the original author. Secondly, if not what the best way to do that on the forums? Dropbox link? and my last question, there are static planes and such on the apron and parking area the original author put in. Should I remove these for the fly in? Sorry for the wall text and thanks chevy for organizing this.
Rotorcraft-Helicopter PPL
Nelson L.

Post by Nelson L. »

Unfortunately, that was the failure of the author to put in exclusions - likely because he/she wasn't using mesh or some other scenery which placed trees on the runway. I would contact the author first before posting a revision on the XP forums, but for an event like this, I would imagine that posting it on the PE forums (which is comparatively a small community) would be fine. Just give credit to the author and you'll most likely not have a herd at your heels. I would post via dropbox. For the static planes, its up to you, but I personally don't go through the process of removing then replacing them for each event (call me lazy). Up to you. Welcome to PE!
X-Plane 10.45