[April 26] Sun N Fun Fly In

Planning a flight, looking for others to come along?
chevyrules

[April 26] Sun N Fun Fly In

Post by chevyrules »

Background: Sun N Fun is a huge aviation event located at KLAL( Lakeland, FL). This event causes a lot of chaos at the airport( taxiway Alpha becomes RWY 9L/27R, a lot of traffic congestion, etc). A lot of special procedures are in place for aircraft to arrive and depart( for those interested: http://www.sun-n-fun.org/files/21/21a66 ... 86b4d2.pdf ).

Why: A lot of us probably can't make it to Sun N Fun or not brave enough to fly in that mess( aka me). But it doesn't mean we can't join in that fun in our sims and do it on PE! So why not a lot of us fly to one airport. The Poker Run already showed how chaotic( and fun) trying to get 14 people into one airport at the same time. Hoping to get more than that into one airport at the exact same time!

Where: TBD. But currently thinking either 46CA or L35. Want something that can create a very challenging and yet rewarding/fun experience. And 46CA would certainly create that!

When: Sunday April 26.

Time: TBD. Want to have a time to allow everyone the chance to join in. I am thinking 2 PM EDT/1800Z which would allow the west coast people to join in, but still be friendly to our European friends.

Would love everyone's feedback on this idea.

Update:

Where: Destination airport will be L35 Big Bear. Expect some taxiway closures and ramp closures upon arrival.

When: 2:00 PM EDT, 18:00 zulu.

Q. What planes can I fly?

Any plane you desire within reason of course. I want a good mix of planes, not just GA's. Bring in a 737, 727, 747, if you like.

Q: Is 2:00 PM/1800Z time the time we should be arriving into Big Bear? No, that should be about the time you should depart.

Q: Where should I depart?

Anywhere that is close to Big Bear where you can arrive at L35 around 2:20 PM EDT/1830Z with the plane you plan on bringing in.

Some things to know before arriving!

The north ramp and taxiway B is closed off for the event for VIP's( aka for non-participatory aircraft). All participating people please use the southern ramp and taxiway Alpha for parking. :)

Heavy parking will be the helipads located on the western end of the field near rwy 8. Heli's please use GA parking. :) I will try to be among the first to arrive and I am bringing the 732( departing out of 46CA). Use me as a reference if you have different scenery for those planning to bring in the big birds and park to the left of me( I will be using the most eastern helipad).

Use the normal CTAF frequency.

Any other questions I will be glad to answer!
Last edited by chevyrules on Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
MrGibbs

Re: [April 26] Sun N Fun Fly In

Post by MrGibbs »

Sweet!! Good idea Chevy.....I vote for L35 ...there is really nice scenery up there(can post a link if needed)...and of course...there is density altitude and mountains. Oh yes....those little singles may be struggling if the temps are up!

Cheers,
Josh
Nelson L.

Post by Nelson L. »

Thing to keep in mind for 46CA - the takeoff and landing runways are specifically specified. Problem? They are the same runway, but in opposite directions (10 and 28). This could cause problems if they're 30 planes, and 15 are landing, 15 are taking off. I can smell the mid-air collisions already - I highly doubt us humans can effectively sequence ourselves on the CTAF. If you decide 46CA, I would suggest temporarily having both departures and arrivals on rwy 28 (to keep the challenge of the hill when landing).
X-Plane 10.45
Pilotedge - V3/I11 (N2253F; UAL/CAL 2253; TPX___)
Alphabet Challenge - 2 Legs Completed
chevyrules

Post by chevyrules »

Nelson L. wrote:Thing to keep in mind for 46CA - the takeoff and landing runways are specifically specified. Problem? They are the same runway, but in opposite directions (10 and 28). This could cause problems if they're 30 planes, and 15 are landing, 15 are taking off. I can smell the mid-air collisions already - I highly doubt us humans can effectively sequence ourselves on the CTAF. If you decide 46CA, I would suggest temporarily having both departures and arrivals on rwy 28 (to keep the challenge of the hill when landing).
Yeah we can use 10 for departures and landings if I decide upon 46CA.

I like 46CA because it will probably be the best airport within the coverage area that will best replicate the conditions at KLAL if we can get a decent turnout. Having to deal with people trying to back taxi on 10 for departure or for parking while people are trying to land, etc. Big Bear has plenty of room on the ramp to handle the people that will most likely show up for the event. So you lose that aspect of Sun N Fun by not having to worry about where and how to park and depart.
Nelson L.

Post by Nelson L. »

Ah, for clarification, I meant rwy 10 in my original post, not 28. Think Chevy figured that out already though. On the topic of the ramp, if 46CA gets crowded there's always the dirt area off the end of rwy 28 (near the runup in Chris's scenery) that can be used as "temporary" ramp-space - kind of ruins the fun, but it might be necessary if this gets the same amount of participants as the Poker Run. Consider it "poor-man's parking" ;)
X-Plane 10.45
Pilotedge - V3/I11 (N2253F; UAL/CAL 2253; TPX___)
Alphabet Challenge - 2 Legs Completed
David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert »

Chevy hasn't the whole 46CA thing been done to death by now? I Know there are a few fields South East of Bakersfield that have interesting terrain surrounding them.
Normal call sign: N8295L or TPX
chevyrules

Post by chevyrules »

It's not the approach/terrain into 46CA that makes it enticing for the event. The hill could not be there at all and I would still like it for the event. It's the airport itself that makes it interesting for the event given the only way to taxi is the runway, it's a small footprint which will make parking interesting, etc. The terrain certainly is a plus though.

If you could give me airport ideas that can best replicate the conditions at KLAL during Sun N Fun that is not close to any airspace( don't want to cause any headaches for the controllers, had a few violate airspace during the Poker Run) I am all ears. Just those two airports came to mind that is all when I wrote this up( I am mostly an airline pilot or stick to controlled fields when I do GA on PE).
David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert »

If you are looking for a field with limited room and interesting terrain then I would suggest CL46 Quail Lake. No where near any airspace and with some nice hills surrounding it.
Normal call sign: N8295L or TPX
AlexL

Post by AlexL »

This is a nice idea no matter what field we choose to fly into! Thanks for organizing it, Chevy. I'll try to make it.
Cheers,
Alex L.
PE Ratings: V-03 & I-04
FSEconomy: Alex85
Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/AlexsFlyingClub
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/AlexsFlyingClub
Blog: http://AboveGroundLevel.org
chevyrules

Post by chevyrules »

Figured I would post an update on my current line of thought for the event to get more feedback.

Currently I am thinking about doing it at CL46. It's a nice little field, but unlike 46CA makes it more accessible for heavies to join in. I want to encourage people to bring in all types of planes( within reason of course, no B-52's :p) and not just limit it to GA's. Sun N Fun will be featuring all kinds of planes so no need to only feature Skyhawk's, PC-12's, etc. So if someone wants to bring a 727, 732, etc go ahead. Want to bring in a B-25? Sure.

Time is still going to be around the 2-3 PM( 1800-1900Z) timeframe.