[May 28, Thursday 2000 PDT] KSNA Fly-In

Planning a flight, looking for others to come along?
stealthbob

Re: [May 28, Thursday 2000 PDT] KSNA Fly-In

Post by stealthbob »

Finally all the stars are aligned and I can make on of these!

I am off Friday so the late 11:00 PM time should not be an issue...that is if I can stay awake.

...now to decide what to fly and from where.
Pieces

Post by Pieces »

stealthbob wrote:late 11:00 PM time should not be an issue...that is if I can stay awake.
Remember, the 11:00 PM time is the arrival time. If you planned correctly, that should be near the end of your flight.
Reece Heinlein, PPL - IR, KMZZ
PilotEdge I-11
Alphabet Challenge
Peter Grey

Post by Peter Grey »

Hello Everyone,

A couple reminders from your friendly controllers:

1. Please ensure that you have filed a good route for your flight to SNA, this will reduce congestion on departure frequencies. If you are departing a SOCAL airport you should file the proper TEC route. If you are unsure about a route please post it here and I'll take a look at it.

2. Please ensure that you have your sim setup in such a way to keep your frame rate up. Some simulators start slowing down your effective airspeed once you get below 20 fps, this causes havoc on the controllers as we can't properly assign speeds. In extreme cases the speed the aircraft is moving over the ground is under 30 knots. I know we all want amazing graphics, but we need to keep things moving.

3. Be ready for holding and release times. If we have traffic levels near last weeks event we will need to take proactive and early measures to ensure proper spacing. 50+ planes all trying to be at an airport at the same time is the opposite of Air Traffic Control.

4. Weather is forecast to be good, therefore we are planning to run visual approaches to 20R/L. We will try to accommodate requests for other approaches but can't guarantee them. We will not be able to accommodate requests to use runway 2R/L.

For the twitch watchers I plan to twitch my scope for the event. I don't know what position I'll be working but it should be interesting either way.

If you have any questions please let us know now as opposed to during the event if at all possible.
Peter Grey
PilotEdge Director of Quality Assurance and Operations
peter@pilotedge.net
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Great points, PG. Let's also plan on suspending V-x and I-x ratings during that time. I'd also go as far to say that pattern work might be limited at SNA, too, during the event peak.
BonanzaDude

Post by BonanzaDude »

Sounds like fun. I am hoping to get home from softball in time to make a flight in the BE55. Perfect time for us CDT guys.

John
John P. Navara
zLAARTCC & PE I-11
PP ASEL-IA - 1967 V35 N480H
Complex, HP & Tailwheel endorsements
My YouTube Videos
http://www.twitch.tv/Sim_Dude
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Heads up, we have reasonable staffing levels for tonight. We're assuming that departures will be staggered since the departure fields will be random and scattered. So, even though everyone is trying to arrive at the same time, it's unlikely there will be too many calling for clearance at precisely the same time from a bunch o' different fields.

We'll be staffing for a relatively heavy flow of departures for 60+ minutes prior to the arrival time. As the arrival time draws closer, we'll shift the staffing to favor a high arrival rate at SNA with staffing for socal and a controller specifically handling the sector in which SNA resides, as well as a dedicated SNA tower position.

There will be Miles in Trail requirements for handoffs into the Socal Beach sector (the one that handles SNA arrivals) to reduce congestion within the sector. This means you won't be 3nm behind the guy in front of you on a given stream...you'll be 10+ miles behind him. This is the only way to allow us to merge several arrival streams into the SNA final. So, if you see a gap ahead of you, don't try to fill it. Fly your filed speeds, or your ATC-assigned speeds (as you would in real life) and we'll have a fighting chance to make this work.
stealthbob

Post by stealthbob »

I took a listen to the May 22 event, (I think her name is Geneva?) all I can say is wow...she was epic handling all those clearances.

I was planning on staying up for this one and fly over...don't work tomorrow YaY! That being said I hate to overload the network, kinda stressful for both controller and pilot.

Maybe if like you say and keep it real simple with a short TEC route. I might fly my Epic, awesome sight lines in that cockpit....quick as well to get me on the field early to watch all the arrivals.

Good advice guys...
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

stealthbob, you should definitely fly in for the event, that's the whole idea :)
stealthbob

Post by stealthbob »

Keith Smith wrote:stealthbob, you should definitely fly in for the event, that's the whole idea :)
Oh I get it...I was more concerned about the "pilot" side of the stress equation lol

Listening in on that last event it was sure hard to get a word in on the mic...it sure teaches you to use efficient phraseology. That and great mic in timing.

I am also guessing there are no CSL's for the Epic...will I look like a 172?
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Since there isn't an Epic CSL yet, it'll look through the related.txt for explicitly related aircraft. If none are found, it falls back to the Doc8643.txt file which is a repository of all known aircraft types. The Epic is in there as a single engine turbine aircraft...it'll try to find something that matches. I couldn't tell you off the top of my head what it'll pick.