[May 28, Thursday 2000 PDT] KSNA Fly-In

Planning a flight, looking for others to come along?
Pieces

[May 28, Thursday 2000 PDT] KSNA Fly-In

Post by Pieces »

Hey Everyone, Going to revive an event I originally put together over a year ago. *NOTE* I moved this back a week to avoid conflicting with a previously scheduled event.

What
KSNA Fly-In. Fly whatever plane you want from where ever you want, using which ever (legal) flight rules you want to John Wayne. Hang out on the ramp after arriving and watch as others come in. Chat with other pilots on the IRC channel. Generally have a good time generating realistic traffic levels to a towered airport.

Where
Fly to John Wayne (KSNA) from somewhere in SoCal. Jets, feel free to come from LAX, SFO or wherever. Pistons, make the short hop up the cost from Palomar, or a longer hop over some mountains from Bakersfield. However long you want to fly, you come up with your route. The key is:

When
Arrive at KSNA on Thursday, May 28th at 2000 PDT (8:00pm). Notice, this is the arrival time. You will need to do the flight planning for your chosen route to get to SNA at the appropriate time. The key to this being a fun event is getting everyone into the airspace at the same time. Do your flight planning!

Event time zone converter

Resources
Skyvector for charts and flight planning.
MyFlightRoute for route generation/TEC lookup. Set "Destination Airport "to KSNA and get a random flight with whatever other parameters you want.
PilotEdge IRC for chatting during the event.

Feel free to leave questions/RSVPs.
Last edited by Pieces on Tue May 12, 2015 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reece Heinlein, PPL - IR, KMZZ
PilotEdge I-11
Alphabet Challenge
Captainkw

Re: [May 21, Thursday 2000 PDT] KSNA Fly-In

Post by Captainkw »

I'll be there in my A320 Neo! Hope you'll be at my event the next day on the 22nd! TRAFFIC IN SIGHT...Cheers Pieces.

Captain KW
Nelson L.

Post by Nelson L. »

For next time, any chance of an earlier time on weekdays for us Eastern fellows? Or maybe a Friday event for the future? Things to do, places to be - especially on a Thursday night; namely bed... (incidentally, I'll be heading to Hershey Park on Friday)! Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it this time; have fun guys.
X-Plane 10.45
Pilotedge - V3/I11 (N2253F; UAL/CAL 2253; TPX___)
Alphabet Challenge - 2 Legs Completed
Pieces

Post by Pieces »

It's late Eastern to try and give West Coasters a chance to get home from work - hard to balance the timezones. I went for a weekday on recommendation from Keith: it is easier for PE to staff during the week. Also, in this case Captain KW already has an event scheduled for Friday. I am going to change the date on this for the week after so it doesn't take traffic away from Captain KW's event.
PilotEdge I-11
Alphabet Challenge
Nelson L.

Re: [May 28, Thursday 2000 PDT] KSNA Fly-In

Post by Nelson L. »

Ah, I see - no worries. If a weekend fly-in would be scheduled during a time that could accommodate more people, and it becomes a regular thing, I'm sure Keith and comrades will eventually work something out (*runs and hides in a corner before PE membership terminated*). And on the topic of the Capt's event, lets just say you have a better memory than I do.
X-Plane 10.45
Pilotedge - V3/I11 (N2253F; UAL/CAL 2253; TPX___)
Alphabet Challenge - 2 Legs Completed
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

Thanks for the reschedule to the 28th--I was planning on being on the road with family on the 21st so now I'm in!
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

City Pair suggestions - take it for what it's worth:
  1. Big Bear Shuttle - L35 to KSNA - 61.6 miles
  2. Throwback Thursday - redo the V-3 Bravo transitions - Take off from John Wayne, touch and go and Camarillo (KCMA) and back to John Wayne - great for a group flight of slow pistons
  3. Southwest Las Vegas shuttle - load up with tipsy tourists and wanna be high rollers from Las Vegas back to reality in SoCal
  4. Get to the chopper! - shuttle VIPs from LA City Hall to the tarmac at KSNA for a private jet flight to San Francisco for a late night tech company launch party! Pair up with a non-helo buddy and they fly the KSNA to KSFO leg! They would be waiting at the ramp and can't take off until you land and drop the passengers.
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge
mmerelles

Post by mmerelles »

+1 great :)

I will put this on the mobile agenda not to miss it.
Pieces

Post by Pieces »

Reminder, this event is tomorrow evening!
PilotEdge I-11
Alphabet Challenge
stealthbob

Post by stealthbob »

Finally all the stars are aligned and I can make on of these!

...now to decide what to fly and from where.