Fighting fires?

Planning a flight, looking for others to come along?
Nelson L.

Re: Fighting fires?

Post by Nelson L. »

I don't like balloons on the final APP course... And yes, I think the controllers have the ability to generate drones (I've seen a few pranks :D ), but either way, I just don't see this as something that's feasible at the moment. In a year or two, maybe. Now? Probably not. Like Keith said, too much work for too little people.
X-Plane 10.45
Pilotedge - V3/I11 (N2253F; UAL/CAL 2253; TPX___)
Alphabet Challenge - 2 Legs Completed
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I'd argue that the passage of time will change nothing. This is high time investment for relatively little reward. There really won't be a time when it makes sense to do this unless there is commercial demand or it becomes trivial to place and extinguish fires in the sim.
CaptainRodney

Post by CaptainRodney »

Darn it. Oh well. It was worth a chance
wmburns

Post by wmburns »

Suggestion. Think outside the box and add some "imagination". Pick some landmark that is present in both FSX and X-Plane. For example a VOR station on the side of a mountain and say that's it's "on fire".

Will need someone to act as a "judge" (think helicopter tennis) to score the passes.

Yea I know it's not as cool as seeing the flames actually go out but.......
stealthbob

Post by stealthbob »

wmburns wrote:Suggestion. Think outside the box and add some "imagination". Pick some landmark that is present in both FSX and X-Plane. For example a VOR station on the side of a mountain and say that's it's "on fire".

Will need someone to act as a "judge" (think helicopter tennis) to score the passes.

Yea I know it's not as cool as seeing the flames actually go out but.......
JLI is on the top of a mountain and is next to a couple of lakes....

Nice elevations to navigate and the VOR is quite visible on the peak in Xplane

The Ranch is near by for use as a base.
Lumberhax

Post by Lumberhax »

Its not a half bad idea just to do it water bombing contest of course somebody would have to make the CL-214 an HD csl XD *cough* Keith *cough*. But i could see this being a pretty fun event given the means.
CaptainRodney

Post by CaptainRodney »

Well maybe not a contest but a full blown air attack mission on the top of that hill. We would need a air controller and air attack planes and tankers
CaptainRodney

Post by CaptainRodney »

Cal fire uses the turbo tracker for an air command plane. Use 123.45 for the command frequency. And whatever csls for the air attack planes
wmburns

Post by wmburns »

OMG I tried some X-Plane's flights with the "balloons and fires" enabled and I'm not a fan of this option. IMO way tooooooooooo many balloons. Balloons in busy Bravo airspace. Disabled.