[Oct 2: 1830-2030 PDT] Birthday Bash!

Planning a flight, looking for others to come along?
Keith Smith

[Oct 2: 1830-2030 PDT] Birthday Bash!

Post by Keith Smith »

PilotEdge is turning 4!

Come and help us celebrate with a fly-in to LAX (jets and turboprops) and HHR (turboprops and pistons), starting from the airport of your choice!

Plan to arrive between 1830 PDT and 2030 PDT.

For the zulu crowd, that's Sat 0130z to 0330z!
tshuff

Re: [Oct 2: 1830-2030 PDT] Birthday Bash!

Post by tshuff »

My body is ready! Can't wait for this.
JonFly

Post by JonFly »

Being a newbie on PE I am little intimidated to fly in for this but I am considering it. Will you be recording this for another youtube video? I enjoyed last years

I am considering flying in to HHR from a uncontrolled tower. This would be my first Class B airspace flight.

If I file a flight plan, (which I have never done) can I get clearance for Class B entry from the air? Or should I attempt to call SoCal Appr from the ground at Catalina?

I may be flying in from Catalina KAVX, I will then approach Class Bravo from the south. I will stay below 8000 so will not need to cross the airspace until intersecting the v8 airway.

Can anyone guess what route ATC will assign me? And if you are really bored type up a example transcript and post here. We can call it the B-1 or Bash-1 Rating.

too many questions???
Jon aka "JonFly"
See my livestreams www.twitch.tv/jonfly
Join the new X-Plane Users Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/xplaneusers/
Justin Lerner

Post by Justin Lerner »

There's nothing you need to know to fly into Hawthorne beyond what's covered in the V ratings. You also don't need to transition Class B airspace to land there. You can do the complete thing VFR without talking to a soul (until you get to HHR, of course, then you'll have to talk to tower). Just be mindful of the floors of surrounding Class B airspace (above these thou shalt not fly!), as well as the Class D surrounding Long Beach and Torrance. See: LA FLY chart.
JonFly

Post by JonFly »

Oh that makes it a lot more simple than I was imagining. Thank you. I am going to do some practice flights to get familiar with the possible entry and traffic patterns. I see runway 25 and 7. On my foreflight app it shows rwy 7 - Right traffic, I assume this is just based off the winds. I will practice for both runways. I think my new yoke arrives that morning so that will be put to good use immediately. Going from a CH to a Saitek. Time for a change.
Jon aka "JonFly"
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Jon, be aware of the TOA and LGB Class D airspace, remain clear of those, or call the appropriate tower to transition them on the way to HHR. Alternatively, you could get flight following (much like the V-2 rating) from Socal approach at any point after departing AVX (127.40 for Socal in the area around AVX).

You have the right idea, the Bravo isn't really a factor here, so long as you remain below it. What's going to be far more critical is being efficient on the radio when you talk to HHR tower, giving an accurate position report and then entering the pattern as instructed. This is important on any day, of course, but becomes even more important during a busy event. HHR operates on runway 25 99.9+% of the time, so you can almost certainly count on that. It would take a significant east wind for them to use runway 7, which is rare condition.

Plan on a left downwind or left base entry and you should be golden. Be prepared to extend the downwind as instructed for sequencing with other traffic.
JonFly

Post by JonFly »

Thank you Keith. Studying TOA and LGB D airspace right after I post this. As for Socal Appr on 127.4. I was looking for this on the sectional chart and could only locate 127.2 when below 3000ft. I then scanned and scanned and finally found the blue writing with CTC SoCal APP South Of SLI 127.4. I learned a lot just now from your reply. I appreciate your time.

I will practice left downwind traffic for 25.

This is fun.
Jon aka "JonFly"
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Another place to look is the airport info for kavx, it shows app/dep frees for the field. Glad you are enjoying it.
KLRay
Location: Near KBVS: Burlington/Mount Vernon, Washington, USA

Post by KLRay »

I’m in, sounds like fun :D Will be flying in with a Bonanza F33.
flyingdrill

Post by flyingdrill »

Am planning to use a TEC route into HHR. Had a look yesterday, and was surprised that my X-Plane's Garmin would not display the LOC25 approach into HHR - only the VOR25 and GPS25 approaches showed. I am using Navigraph's 1510 database on a Mac. Navigraph are looking into it :)
Easy enough to program in the required waypoints, but irritating.......