[Oct 2: 1830-2030 PDT] Birthday Bash!

Planning a flight, looking for others to come along?
Pieces

Re: [Oct 2: 1830-2030 PDT] Birthday Bash!

Post by Pieces »

Well, this was a sad night for me. I've been out of the sim for a few months now for various reasons. Fully intended to jump in tonight....

Then Brighthouse has a complete outage. From what I could gather, all Brighthouse customers were affected. And then, on top of that, I've been feeling under the weather this evening. :(

Hope the event went well. I want to make the next one.

Happy birthday PilotEdge!
Reece Heinlein, PPL - IR, KMZZ
PilotEdge I-11
Alphabet Challenge
tshuff

Post by tshuff »

Ryan B wrote:I was having a great time....

N372L IGM to LAX

1)Flew during the event, beautiful virtual sunset!
2) Talked to the CEO on the freq (score!)
3) Didn't have any busts (almost missed RIIVR at 140!)

Then as KS shipped me to tower I got an OOM with P3D 2.5 NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :o

And that was the end of my night :x

Nice arrival stream to both airports though!
It was you!! I was slotted in behind you, but could only see a beacon on you plane. I wasn't sure if you were military or the civilian plane that I was supposed to follow. Eventually I assumed I saw the right traffic so I called it in, got an approach clearance, and started my turn towards final. As I rolled out of the turn you were completely gone. I figured either 1- I totally lost you and was going to get reamed or 2- you disconnected. Sadly it was number 2. Made for a hectic couple of minutes, though.

My sim ended up crashing at 400 feet as the network went down and I frantically tried to reconnect. Oh well, thems the ropes sometimes :).

Great event. Both flights in the turbo prop were quite fun, even if I hosed them up myself, and the encore flight was super relaxing.
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

I was travelling for work this week and on the way home last night. I didn't make it in time for any of the flights, so I'll just wish everyone at PE "Happy Birthday" and maybe as a present, a big customer or servers that don't crash! :)
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge
stealthbob

Post by stealthbob »

Watching the live map was ridiculous....

My takeaway was how well everything was run...for both pilots and controllers.

I unfortunately not only had a sim crash at the time PE went down but my whole PC went bluescreen :?

I just grabbed a beer and jumped over to Chevy's Twitch...

Happy 4th PE...this should be a great year for you and for all of us who get to enjoy this awesome service.
Justin Lerner

Post by Justin Lerner »

This was a lot of fun! First opportunity to participate in a fly-in here and I was very satisfied with the experience, even with the server crash. Fortunately my sim didn't go with it, so I paused until it was back. Great job to all of the controllers last night.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I apologize for the server outage last night right in the middle of the event. Even though it was relatively short (about 11 minutes, near as I can tell), the timing was shockingly bad. There was a brief power spike and both servers spontaneously rebooted. We got everything restarted as quickly as humanly possible (Peter took care of one box and I took care of the other), then we started picking up the pieces of radar identifying everyone and reassembling the strips.

I'm surprised that it was taking out xplane during the failed connection attempts, I'll test for that again. It was a case that we had tested for in the past without any issues, but I'll take another look at it by pointing to our dev server (with the server disabled) and see if I can replicate it.

Other than the server outage, it was just outstanding to see LAX come to life like that. Having simultaneous arrivals for the north and south complex with two different controllers handling the streams was great. It was also nice, I'm sure, to get so many voice changes (we had 5 controllers online for most of the event). I think the format worked well, just picking the arrival airports).

I also really enjoyed working the LAX departures (I'm guessing a bunch of people decided to fly to LAS after landing at LAX). I've never had 6 people on the LOOP SID, all west of LAX (ie, still on the vectored portion) at the same time. Nearly everyone had to get step climbs and vectors on the way up, it was so much fun. It's always interesting to work a small sector that's full of traffic vs a massively huge piece of airspace with the planes more widely scattered.

Let's do this again soon! I know this will be an amazing format after the expansion, too. We're still just waiting on the FAA for the final data.
Justin Lerner

Post by Justin Lerner »

Keith, oddly enough my X-Plane didn't crash. Good luck in debugging.
flyingdrill

Post by flyingdrill »

My X-Plane didn't crash either. It just froze with the Mac spinning beachball when I tried to connect back to PE. After a while, X-Plane just unfroze, and only did it again when I tried to reconnect. My flight was thus a little disappointing, but the event was obviously huge fun.
Happy birthday, PE.
Justin Lerner

Post by Justin Lerner »

flyingdrill wrote:My X-Plane didn't crash either. It just froze with the Mac spinning beachball when I tried to connect back to PE. After a while, X-Plane just unfroze, and only did it again when I tried to reconnect. My flight was thus a little disappointing, but the event was obviously huge fun.
Happy birthday, PE.
Same experience on W8.1 on 10.40. I paused the sim when I realized what happened. It may be worth noting refiling my flight plan after reconnecting left all of the telemetry data for PEAware intact from before the crash, which I was pleased to see.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Justin,

That's correct, peaware is a separate system. It pulls flight status from PE on a frequent basis and maintains its own state.