[Jan 17 (Sun) 1800-2100 PST] Left Turn at Albuquerque!

Planning a flight, looking for others to come along?
stevekirks

Re: [Jan 17 (Sun) 1800-2100 PST] Left Turn at Albuquerque!

Post by stevekirks »

Keith Smith wrote:Steve, thanks for the clarification. I appreciate that, but it was still not the correct suggestion from ATC. Departing IFR would've required an IFR clearance, which would've only increased the radio congestion. You shouldn't have been dissuaded from departing VFR, and to be clear, filing IFR then later deciding not to pick up the clearance and instead depart VFR is 100% acceptable.

I'm sorry to hear you weren't able to enjoy the event, it really was a blast working new airspace, having 2 ZAB center controllers, a dedicated approach and a tower over there.
Keith:

I pulled "the tapes" and I would like to commend the clearance/ground/tower controllers that worked that first hour. It was insane and I can certainly understand the pressure and confusion. Like all flights on PE, I learned something: be confident with my role as PIC and I should have pushed for the VFR departure.

That said, I'm looking forward to the next event.
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge
rtataryn

Post by rtataryn »

kevin meyers wrote:Great event, guys! Feel free to check out my view from the ABQ Tower cab if you couldn't watch it live.

I suggest starting it at 1 hour 18 minutes. It gets quite busy for about 10 minutes there.

http://www.twitch.tv/kmeyers6/v/36146938

EDIT: Also between 53 min and 54 min, you see perfect separation between two arrivals...and I got pretty excited about it :lol:
Just watched the entire recording. Exceptional work Kevin. Fantastic to be able to see your perspective. Thanks for posting that!
Rod
PPL, Instrument, ASEL, ASES
2013 Cirrus SR22T N877MS
2018 Icon A5 N509BA
1946 Piper J3 Cub N7121H
1942 Stearman N2S N6848
Kevin_atc

Post by Kevin_atc »

rtataryn wrote:
kevin meyers wrote:Great event, guys! Feel free to check out my view from the ABQ Tower cab if you couldn't watch it live.

I suggest starting it at 1 hour 18 minutes. It gets quite busy for about 10 minutes there.

http://www.twitch.tv/kmeyers6/v/36146938

EDIT: Also between 53 min and 54 min, you see perfect separation between two arrivals...and I got pretty excited about it :lol:
Just watched the entire recording. Exceptional work Kevin. Fantastic to be able to see your perspective. Thanks for posting that!
Thank you! Glad you enjoyed that. I took the opportunity to do it since we usually can't due to the fact that we are working multiple towers at once. It was nice to not have to run back and forth from tower to tower for once; much less exhausting.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
Peter Grey

Post by Peter Grey »

Keith:

I pulled "the tapes" and I would like to commend the clearance/ground/tower controllers that worked that first hour. It was insane and I can certainly understand the pressure and confusion. Like all flights on PE, I learned something: be confident with my role as PIC and I should have pushed for the VFR departure.

That said, I'm looking forward to the next event.
Hello Steve,

I also listened to the recordings and I think you misinterpreted what the controller was trying to get you to do.

She wasn't trying to get you to file IFR, she was trying to set you up with VFR Flight Following on the ground.

Specifically the comm sequence went like this:

You called up
She wasn't sure if you were requesting VFR/IFR so she asked if you were VFR
You said yes and commented that you were going to pick up flight following once airborne
She mentioned that it would be easier to pick "it" up now. "It" referred to flight following not an IFR clearance.
She then started asking you for the info she would need to set you up with flight following.
At that time you asked to go back to the ramp to file IFR.

I can see how you would think IFR clearance as opposed to VFR flight following if you were already thinking from an IFR point of view. The controller never brought up IFR as she was thinking from a VFR point of view. During an event like this it is much easier to get you flight following on the ground which is why she offered.

Hopefully that solves some of the confusion.
Peter Grey
PilotEdge Director of Quality Assurance and Operations
peter@pilotedge.net
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Screen shot of the scope on ABQ Center (before we split it into west high and east low):
http://imgur.com/g7VYZiM
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

Peter Grey wrote:Hopefully that solves some of the confusion.
It does. Mainly, I was too focused on "getting in on the fun" and not Pilot 101 stuff. My fault entirely...
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge