[Jan 17 (Sun) 1800-2100 PST] Left Turn at Albuquerque!

Planning a flight, looking for others to come along?
stevekirks

Re: [Jan 17 (Sun) 1800-2100 PST] Left Turn at Albuquerque!

Post by stevekirks »

I tried to participate, but couldn't get a final clearance out of GCN. I made a mistake--I forgot I was in charge. I could tell that it was going to be impossible to get a clearance, so I opted for a VFR departure out of Grand Canyon, figuring that at sometime during the flight I'd be able to pick up flight following. Here's where I went wrong:

1. Prefiled a flight plan for IFR but called ground for a VFR departure. -- That confused the controller which should have warned me.
2. Got to the hold short line for departure, called tower and she asked again if it was VFR departure. I said I was going to depart VFR and pick up flight following later in the flight. She suggested it was be easier for them/me if I went IFR. She nicely let me sit at the hold short while I tried to get wedged into the clearance frequency.

This is where I went wrong, got frustrated that I couldn't get in to the freq, so I disconnected, went to ABQ and observed, fuming. Later, I realized I should have been mad at myself, not the network or staff.

*I* am the pilot in command. I should have taken the VFR departure and tried to pick up flight following into ABQ or even my IFR because Center wasn't busy (yet) at that time. Even if I couldn't get in for FF, I could have stayed out of the Charlie and still been in the mix.

Suggestion for what it's worth: pre-departure clearances for the airlines to keep them off frequency.
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

The ground controller should've let you taxi VFR if you said you didn't want to open your flight plan. If they can't coordinate flight following on the ground, don't sweat it, just ask for a VFR dep, then once you leave the Delta, cold call the center for flight following when time allows.

We didn't quite have the staffing we wanted on the departure side, sorry about that. Another alternative would be to wait a little while until the freq calms down (it did eventually, I'm told). I had to wait 20 mins to even key the mic once at JFK (r/w) on the ground freq. Lastly, you can depart from a nearby non-towered airport and cold call the center, by passing any ground/tower interaction to begin with.

Sorry to hear that you were told to go IFR instead of VFR, that should not have happened, we'll fix that.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Suggestion for what it's worth: pre-departure clearances for the airlines to keep them off frequency.
A dedicated combined clearance delivery would've achieved the goal in this case. That's what we should've had if staffing allowed. We realized later that ABQ tower could've been staffed a little later on (when the arrivals started) and instead used that person at ZLA to help with the departure rush.
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

Keith Smith wrote:Sorry to hear that you were told to go IFR instead of VFR, that should not have happened, we'll fix that.
To be super clear, I wasn't "told" as much as suggested in a professional/friendly way. It was my mistake not to think it through more, request the VFR departure again and continue with the flight. I was frustrated during, but that's my problem.
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Steve, thanks for the clarification. I appreciate that, but it was still not the correct suggestion from ATC. Departing IFR would've required an IFR clearance, which would've only increased the radio congestion. You shouldn't have been dissuaded from departing VFR, and to be clear, filing IFR then later deciding not to pick up the clearance and instead depart VFR is 100% acceptable.

I'm sorry to hear you weren't able to enjoy the event, it really was a blast working new airspace, having 2 ZAB center controllers, a dedicated approach and a tower over there.
rtataryn

Post by rtataryn »

It was great watching all you guys (and gal) work the traffic. And a lot of fun being in the armada with the big iron flying past me. Fun event.
Rod
PPL, Instrument, ASEL, ASES
2013 Cirrus SR22T N877MS
2018 Icon A5 N509BA
1946 Piper J3 Cub N7121H
1942 Stearman N2S N6848
Ryan B

Post by Ryan B »

I completely missed the event... but saw the last rememants of it when I came home from a work-related meeting (yes on a Sunday - involving adult beverages!)
PE ID: 29
FAA ATCS
FAA PPL ASEL
Marcus Becker

Post by Marcus Becker »

Ryan B wrote:when I came home from a work-related meeting (yes on a Sunday - involving adult beverages!)
Is there any other type of work related meeting that doesn't involve adult beverages that I'm not aware? I couldn't imagine such an affair.
Anthony Santanastaso

Post by Anthony Santanastaso »

Marcus Becker wrote:
Ryan B wrote:when I came home from a work-related meeting (yes on a Sunday - involving adult beverages!)
Is there any other type of work related meeting that doesn't involve adult beverages that I'm not aware? I couldn't imagine such an affair.
I have heard of "make your own Iced cream Sunday" at Faculty meetings. True it would be more fun drizzling beverages on top of it.
Anthony Santanastaso
PilotEdge ATCS
Private Pilot ASEL
Twitch broadcasts: Archived | Live
JonFly

Post by JonFly »

That was a blast. Thank you for a fun evening.

Here is my VOD, it starts out before the event and when 1800pdt hit I departed Santa Fe. I was the first aircraft to land at ABQ, glad I greased it.

http://www.twitch.tv/jonfly/v/36101390

Some really entertaining stuff on this really long VOD
Jon aka "JonFly"
See my livestreams www.twitch.tv/jonfly
Join the new X-Plane Users Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/xplaneusers/