[Aug 28 7-10pm PDT] Aspen fly-in!

Planning a flight, looking for others to come along?
Keith Smith

Re: [Aug 28 7-10pm PDT] Aspen fly-in!

Post by Keith Smith »

Only one delay vector was issued on Denver center, but Harold was working Aspen Approach, he'll have more insight as to what happened at that level.
HRutila

Post by HRutila »

The airspace didn't actually become saturated enough to require holding or delay vectors at all. Keith did a great job making sure everyone had appropriate in-trail spacing and speeds before they hit the ASE approach sector. All the vectoring going on was just for sequencing. Overall it was very smooth, with the only slight hiccup being the range of the localizer in the sims, which required the issuance of an additional 1 or 2 vectors.

The LINDZ SID was an interesting thing to watch from the top-down view. As it turns out there is a reason why the first heading on the route is 343 and not runway heading (331). :)
Harold Rutila
COMM-MEL/CFII
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I may have neglected to mention in my posts so far, but it really was a blast to work the event. Working Denver and Salt Lake Center was bizarre at first, but I got used to it pretty quickly. Harold made life easy, taking every handoff even when he was busy.

66.66% of the departures out of ASE apparently violated the SID, but other than THAT, it seemed to go swimmingly :) Definitely pumped to do more events and to get the expansion done!
Mudhen

Post by Mudhen »

What's that sound you hear?
It's me...slapping myself for missing this event.
Drats, at one time I saw 40 peeps with roughly 80 percent bound for ASE.
Hopefully, I won't miss another.
This space intentionally left blank
asad112

Post by asad112 »

Keith Smith wrote:Only one delay vector was issued on Denver center, but Harold was working Aspen Approach, he'll have more insight as to what happened at that level.
May have been me, if it was a 20 or 40 degree turn to the left for 5 minutes than direct DBL for SWA1097. If so, that seems pretty minor in the grand scheme of things.