[Aug 28 7-10pm PDT] Aspen fly-in!

Planning a flight, looking for others to come along?
Keith Smith

[Aug 28 7-10pm PDT] Aspen fly-in!

Post by Keith Smith »

It's been a while since our last fly-in. Let's fix that!

Sun, Aug 28, 7pm PDT for 3 hours, come fly into Aspen (KASE) from anywhere else in the coverage area!

Aspen is one of the fields in the Western US expansion planned for later this year, this event serves as a preview of one of the airports in that expansion.
It's a one-way field (landing south, departing north), so be prepared for some exciting ops if people plan on doing a quick turn after they land!
chevyrules

Re: [Aug 28 7-10pm PDT] Aspen fly-in!

Post by chevyrules »

Man I hope I am able to join in! Hopefully I get a few days off. :)
bawells

Post by bawells »

Do you guys have any preferred airways closer to ASE in mind for getting folks to DBL?

Having the USAF tanker in some fuel for all the planes that'll be holding might not hurt either ;)

So stoked for this, thanks!
Ben Wells
N384BW
Twitch: uberb0t
Alphabet Challenge
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I'd recommend looking up r/w flights on flightaware to see the common inbound routes to the airport.
JonFly

Post by JonFly »

excited about this.
Jon aka "JonFly"
See my livestreams www.twitch.tv/jonfly
Join the new X-Plane Users Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/xplaneusers/
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

Was doing some flight planning for this and ran into a bit of a quandry. There are three published instrument approaches for KASE, and the Roaring Fork Visual Apch Rwy 15.

The difficulty is this: ALL of the approaches carry the notation "Not authorized at Night" (or Procedure NA at night).
Is the plan to set the sims/ATC to an agreed upon "Daylight" time? or assume (wink) that the approaches are available? or ATC providing vectored approaches to landing? Or this is a strictly night visual landing?

Back in August 2015 I flew into KASE a couple of times at night (offline), ignoring the Not Available labels, but I knew it wasn't kosher... Wasn't a problem, weather was fine and I didn't go missed. But... thought I should ask what the parameters are for this Fly-In.

Don
BonanzaDude

Post by BonanzaDude »

I just checked the TAF's for tonight and it looks like the weather will cooperate for visual landings. I plan to set my sim to daytime to enjoy the scenery as I approach KASE.

My plan is the following: BE20 KGCN GCN V293 PGA V208 HVE V8 JNC V134 GLENO KASE FL210

John
John P. Navara
zLAARTCC & PE I-11
PP ASEL-IA - 1967 V35 N480H
Complex, HP & Tailwheel endorsements
My YouTube Videos
http://www.twitch.tv/Sim_Dude
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Real world ATC is not responsible for compliance with the "NA night" restrictions on the approaches. It's up to pilots if they want to simulate day or night when flying on PE. Given the scenery and the rarity of this event, I would recommend flying it as a day time affair.

One more thing to keep in mind, if you need to divert, we can't provide ATC at nearby towered airports such as Denver International. If you need to divert, it will need to be to a supported area, such as one within ZLA, or you can divert offline to DEN if that isn't convenient.
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

Keith Smith wrote:Real world ATC is not responsible for compliance with the "NA night" restrictions on the approaches. It's up to pilots if they want to simulate day or night when flying on PE. Given the scenery and the rarity of this event, I would recommend flying it as a day time affair.

One more thing to keep in mind, if you need to divert, we can't provide ATC at nearby towered airports such as Denver International. If you need to divert, it will need to be to a supported area, such as one within ZLA, or you can divert offline to DEN if that isn't convenient.
I have this mental picture of Josh Gibbs with a handheld on the tarmac at KDEN - "white Airbus over the city, rock your wings...good rock...follow the highway for a right base runway 8...welcome to Denver..."
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge