[Aug 28 7-10pm PDT] Aspen fly-in!

Planning a flight, looking for others to come along?
Keith Smith

Re: [Aug 28 7-10pm PDT] Aspen fly-in!

Post by Keith Smith »

Just a heads up, Denver and Salt Lake center are not likely to be staffed until around 30 mins before the start of the event, so i wouldn't recommend arriving too early.
Ryan B

Post by Ryan B »

Glad I happened to check the PE map tonight... I almost always miss these events.

A quick hop from Kanab to Aspen in the trusty Learjet 25D. "I'm a child of the magenta!"

Everything went swell except I biffed the last part of the LOC/DME-E approach - felt I was too high and descended rapidly then basically had to add a ton of power and pitch back up because I overshot my descent... :oops:

A setting sun

King air 8TM - I saw you out the window and on my TISB!

Terrain display - great for SA!
PE ID: 29
FAA ATCS
FAA PPL ASEL
ridikamus

Post by ridikamus »

What a wonderful event. Well done to all of the controllers for managing the flood of aircraft! Getting to Aspen is a bit longer flight than I normally like, but the approach was worth the time.

http://i.imgur.com/9BzSo4R.jpg
V-3 CAT-11 I-11
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

The controllers did their typical outstanding job. Enjoyed listening to them spacing the arrivals, and seeing the online map converge. I, however, felt like a dachshund behind a pack of greyhounds :lol: but thoroughly enjoyed the flight into Aspen. Thanks to all!

Don
Dean33

Post by Dean33 »

Sadly I had to miss this opportunity due to the unsociable UK timing - 3am onwards.

From listening to the feeds it is clear the event was a great success and Aspen is going to be a great addition to the Pilotedge network.

As one of the worlds most dangerous airfields it is certainly going to 'spice things up a little!'

I've spent some offline time flying some of the approaches and most so far have 'crashed and burned' in the Citation. Time to practice with something easier first I think.

Interesting and appalling accident report here. http://aviation-safety.net/database/rec ... 20010329-0

Can't wait for this part of the expansion!
Dean33

UK P3DV4 Simmer
Pilotedge - I11, CAT11, A-Z (ZLA), A-Z (WUS)

Gigabyte P57v7 CF2 17.3" laptop. Kaby Lake i7 7700HQ CPU (average 3.4mhz). GTX 1070 8mb, 16 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM, SSD Samsung 970 Evo 500GB M.2 NVMe, 1TB HDD 7200.
bbuckley

Post by bbuckley »

What a great event! Intense. Map looked like a swarm of ants heading to dropped food... Great job by all. Thanks!
Commercial / Instrument / KMLB
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

That was a blast last night! Thanks to the pilots for coming out and to the controllers for working the extra positions. We publicized this one on FB, twitter and forum, but not on the home page or via email. Now that we have a grip on the airspace (this was the first time we were able to run traffic for the area), we might run a similar event but try to make it even bigger. This was just right for last night, though.
aspen_arrivals.png
aspen_arrivals.png (130.34 KiB) Viewed 8009 times
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I've also updated the audio recordings page to recognize the frequencies that were used last night so the titles of the recordings are easier to browse.
Shawn Goldsworthy

Post by Shawn Goldsworthy »

Looked fun. Too bad I missed it. I planned on being here but I got home way later than expected.
Shawn Goldsworthy
PilotEdge ATCS
asad112

Post by asad112 »

That was certainly a blast. A business of the environment coupled with the challenging approach certainly kept me on edge. We're delay vectors more common yesterday rather than holds?