[Nov 13 10am-1pm PST] Ski to Sea (ASE-SNA)

Planning a flight, looking for others to come along?
Keith Smith

[Nov 13 10am-1pm PST] Ski to Sea (ASE-SNA)

Post by Keith Smith »

Following on from the Birthday Bash, our next monthly event once again features a preview of the Western US expansion area, plus a special guest controller working the final at John Wayne!

Aspen was the arrival airport at a previous event, but this time we'll be featuring it as a departure option for the first hour of the Ski to Sea event. For piston aircraft who don't want to fly 600nm+ or any latecomers, feel free to depart from any airport in the coverage area to SNA to join in the fun as well.

Preferred routes and more details about the special guest controller coming soon!
Anders S

Re: [Nov 13 10am-1pm PST] Ski to Sea (ASE-SNA)

Post by Anders S »

I think I can do my first event on pilotedge soon.

But I wonder what aircraft to choose. A fast going piston aircraft maybe? Will we get enroute atc all the way to John Wayne?

Looking forward to it.

Anders
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Anders, we wouldn't propose an event where ATC was only available for part of the flight. That wouldn't be a very convincing demonstration of the new coverage area. :)

You'd want to pick an airplane where you could complete the flight during the event window. It's a 3hr window and a 600+ mile flight. The simple math on that means you need a plane that's faster than 200kts to use the two featured airports. Alternatively, you could fly from Aspen to an airport closer than SNA. Or, you could depart from an airport within ZLA and head to SNA in a more reasonable timeframe.

ASE-SNA in a typical piston isn't likely to work for this event window.
Anders S

Post by Anders S »

Yeah. Maybe joining in from grand canyon to John Wayne in that time-frame. With a cessn 208 or similar :-)
jiva602

Post by jiva602 »

Anders S wrote:Yeah. Maybe joining in from grand canyon to John Wayne in that time-frame. With a cessn 208 or similar :-)
I was thinking along these lines as well :D
Cessna Skylane N108ES
Socata TBM 850 N852XM
CAT 11
webstalle

Post by webstalle »

I'll also depart from KGCN at 1800Z, flying to KSNA in an Arrow ;)
XP 1153, Win 10 64bit
FAA PPL
I-11, CAT-11,
A2Z ZLA #35, WUS #13, AZ #5
4x( i9-9900k), 4 x nVidia 2080 Ti/1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4) CLS-E-Yoke/Rudder, VTF G1000
http://www.twitch.tv/webstalle
XP Settings: Effects: Max, Text: max, 4xSSAA, Obj: High, Ref: High
ridikamus

Post by ridikamus »

Keith Smith wrote:Preferred routes and more details about the special guest controller coming soon!
Any further information on these two subjects?

I put this together for a /W flight:
KASE LINDZ8.JNC HVE J60 HEC.KAYOH6 KSNA

What say you folks?
V-3 CAT-11 I-11
Dean33

Post by Dean33 »

I planned that route too.
Assuming landing 20R would be interested to know whether to expect landing via SLI or intercept vectors around Jogit?
Dean33

UK P3DV4 Simmer
Pilotedge - I11, CAT11, A-Z (ZLA), A-Z (WUS)

Gigabyte P57v7 CF2 17.3" laptop. Kaby Lake i7 7700HQ CPU (average 3.4mhz). GTX 1070 8mb, 16 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM, SSD Samsung 970 Evo 500GB M.2 NVMe, 1TB HDD 7200.
Marcus Becker

Post by Marcus Becker »

Dean33 wrote:I planned that route too.
Assuming landing 20R would be interested to know whether to expect landing via SLI or intercept vectors around Jogit?
Usually, you'll receive a vector somewhere near KAYOH for an approach.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

ridikamus wrote:
Keith Smith wrote:Preferred routes and more details about the special guest controller coming soon!
Any further information on these two subjects?

I put this together for a /W flight:
KASE LINDZ8.JNC HVE J60 HEC.KAYOH6 KSNA

What say you folks?
That route looks reasonable, sorry I haven't had a chance to post any routes, this event came up fast!

We're excited to announce that the guest controller for this event is an active duty real world Socal Tracon controller. He doesn't normally work the John Wayne area, so it's going to be an interesting morning and afternoon! He's been training with us for the past couple of weeks to get used to the scope and our way of doing things on the back end (while the service we deliver to pilots sounds as close to real world ATC as we can get....the procedures on the back end are markedly different.) he's excited to be here as he's also been a pilot on the network for a number of years now.

Everyone bring your best pilot voice (dropped a full octave) and let's have a great event!