[Nov 13 10am-1pm PST] Ski to Sea (ASE-SNA)

Planning a flight, looking for others to come along?
Keith Smith

Re: [Nov 13 10am-1pm PST] Ski to Sea (ASE-SNA)

Post by Keith Smith »

It's quite by accident that I don't have preferred routes posted for the event. However, it's not a bad thing for people to do some flight planning rather than a copy and paste :) Also, Aspen Clearance is going to be hoppin' for a long time. What's likely to happen is that Aspen will clear you out of the area per their SOP, but re-routes for the destination area won't happen until you're with Denver center at the earliest (depending on their Letter of Agreement with ZLA), or more likely, from LA Center.

So, you may well get cleared as filed (or have a SID thrown at you, at worst), then just when you think the coast is clear, you get a re-route later in the flight. Anyone who's flown IFR in the NE up and down the coast has seen that pattern many a time :)

In short, plan something reasonable, then be prepared for changes from LA Center along the way. It'll spice things up on the enroute level to get some re-routes anyway!
zerofay32

Post by zerofay32 »

Bummer, I'm in upstate NY and going to be flying all day for work so I'm going to miss this event... Oh well, a least I get paid when I fly RW. :D
Andrew Fay
PilotEdge V-3; CAT-11; I-11; Skyhigh 10
Commercial Pilot/Instrument ASEL/AMEL- KOSU / Commercial sUAS
Anders S

Post by Anders S »

Unfortunately not home but will probably next event but any chances of being an event in the future on a Saturday instead of Sunday? ;-)
Dean33

Post by Dean33 »

Thanks to Keith and all the controllers for a brilliant event today.

Unfortunately my trip wasn't so successful. I was flying the Citation 10 and managed the LINDZ8 departure pretty well - hand flying! That's always a little bit difficult changing frequencies at the same time in the Citation.

I'd flown a trial run of this flight yesterday in just one hour 30 minutes and the FMS worked great. I was planning all day to overtake and overfly everyone else!

Unfortunately this time I got a different routing via Milford VOR and then the FMC started playing up part way through the route.

I was directed to Morgan Mesa VOR Mike Mike Mike and my Prepar3d system did not recognise MMM either in the FMC or looking for the VOR.

So the controllers kindly gave me some direct headings until I could route to HEC.

For some reason I can't fathom after I crossed HEC the Pilotedge app disconnected me! I thought it had gone quiet!

I reconnected but could not hear anything and then it disconnected again for no known reason. Maybe "the office" can identify any logged reason for this?

Anyway, it's all experience and great fun and thanks to all of the Pilotedge staff.

Never got to meet the guest controller!

Cheers.
Dean33

UK P3DV4 Simmer
Pilotedge - I11, CAT11, A-Z (ZLA), A-Z (WUS)

Gigabyte P57v7 CF2 17.3" laptop. Kaby Lake i7 7700HQ CPU (average 3.4mhz). GTX 1070 8mb, 16 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM, SSD Samsung 970 Evo 500GB M.2 NVMe, 1TB HDD 7200.
JonFly

Post by JonFly »

WoW! wOW! WOW! What a great event. Well organized, well staffed, server behaved. Simply brilliant fun.
Flying a TBM850 with OrthoPhoto popping the entire way was so enjoyable. I was lucky to be the first to
depart KASE but near the back of the pack on arrival. The vectors in Socal were fun and everyone seemed
to bring their A game during my approach. This was a nice return to normality. I was in the hospital this
past week having suffered a heart attack.. Glad I was back in action for this event!

JonFly
N572TB (event callsign)
Jon aka "JonFly"
See my livestreams www.twitch.tv/jonfly
Join the new X-Plane Users Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/xplaneusers/
flyingdrill

Post by flyingdrill »

Wow indeed! The guest controller was amazing, and so were all the regulars! This was definitely one of the most immersive sessions I've ever had on PE. What a fantastic evening. Thanks to all!
ridikamus

Post by ridikamus »

It was great fun to be a part of that monumental train of aircraft. It got a bit crowded at KSNA - I think I may have a chance at the "most delay vectors" award for today:

http://i.imgur.com/szbvc3O.png

Also, sorry to Peter, you gave me 060, I read back 060, and then I turned to 160 - three times - before I caught on.

Fantastic job by all of the controllers and the PE network.
V-3 CAT-11 I-11
ChuckOman

Post by ChuckOman »

Great event ! All the controllers did a superb job. Many thanks to the entire PE staff. Amazing to see 40 aircraft inbound in trail to KSNA. I had good fun and learned a lot. Keith was running DEP and tactfully reminded those of us who didn't immediately turn right to 343 per LINDZ8 after takeoff about the "suicide ops" aspect of Aspen, since VFR inbounds could be coming down the valley lined up on the opposite runway heading. Yikes. Aspen certainly is interesting and different.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

JonFly wrote:WoW! wOW! WOW! What a great event. Well organized, well staffed, server behaved. Simply brilliant fun.
Flying a TBM850 with OrthoPhoto popping the entire way was so enjoyable. I was lucky to be the first to
depart KASE but near the back of the pack on arrival. The vectors in Socal were fun and everyone seemed
to bring their A game during my approach. This was a nice return to normality. I was in the hospital this
past week having suffered a heart attack.. Glad I was back in action for this event!

JonFly
N572TB (event callsign)
Heart attack? Holy cow, I'm so glad to hear you're back in the saddle.

I didn't realize that was you heading the pack today out of Aspen. I jumped on position early, to configure the scope, configure the audio recorders on the server, etc, but didn't fully activate the scope as I wanted to wait for tower and clearance to be on first. Welp, as you could tell, I never ended up activating it once the event started and you were talking to nobody on the departure. I finally hit the button and the headset jumped to life with what sounded like might've been your 3rd or 4th call. 'Doh! Great start to the event, right?

See you for the next one. No more medical news from you, I hope!
BFG

Post by BFG »

I checked out the website today not remembering it was event day and about had my eyes pop out when I saw there were 58 pilots on the network. I thought it was so great, and the freight train of traffic heading south west was something to see. Congratulations Keith and the team on such a fantastic event. The stronger the service is the better off we all are, and it was great to see such fantastic support today.