Bad weather fly-in

Planning a flight, looking for others to come along?
Tol3458

Bad weather fly-in

Post by Tol3458 »

Is it possible to arrange a mass arrival in which PilotEdge sets the weather conditions at the arrival airport? It would be fun to set up really tough IFR conditions--low ceilings, heavy precip, gusty winds--and load up the traffic and see how the controllers and pilots deal with resulting holds, delaying vectors, missed approaches and diversions to alternates.

Just thinking out loud.

Tom LeC
Kyle.Sanders

Re: Bad weather fly-in

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

Sounds fun but...
PilotEdge doesn't set the weather. Controllers issue METAR data from real time but it is up to the pilot to set their sim to real weather or if they have custom weather, to tell the controllers if it is pertinent. Therefore, if you want to organize a Fly-in yourself- viewtopic.php?f=9&t=119
Kyle Sanders
Tol3458

Post by Tol3458 »

Figured that would be the answer. The solution would be to upload a weather file (assuming everyone uses the same weather engine), or to require participants to insert their own WX.

Not sure that such a labor-intensive process is possible, even on PilotEdge.

I'm willing to organize. Can I get a showing of hands of who might be interested, and a time and date(s) that works best? We'll take it from there.

Best,

Tom LeC
Kyle.Sanders

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

Wouldn't be hard....

In the post details, display the weather conditions that you recommend others use for it.
I think it would be a fun event and look forward to seeing it in action
Kyle Sanders
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Tom,

We've done conga lines many times (in fact, we're having our ASE-SNA event on Nov 13). The enroute controllers usually get aircraft spaced based on the needs of the approach controllers so that we don't have massive holding stacks. However, a large number of go-arounds could end up changing the dynamic a little bit.

The other way to change things up would be to have the destination be a non-towered airport. With only one person being cleared for the approach at a time until the previous person cancels, that would certainly result in holding stacks and a very dynamic environment. We wouldn't advertise an event like that because anything beyond 10-12 planes is going to result in unreasonable hold times, but for a user-driven event via the forum, it would probably work out.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Oh, and once the expansion is done, I'm sincerely looking forward to some Pacific NW events with some epic r/w weather!