ACT Returns This Sat 2/11 @ 11 AM ET

Planning a flight, looking for others to come along?
BFG

ACT Returns This Sat 2/11 @ 11 AM ET

Post by BFG »

I know this is a bit short notice, but I've enjoyed the ACT (After-hours Closed Traffic) flights we've done in the past, so wanted to get one going again. This time with a bit of a wrinkle. Rather than start before the network opens, which is tough on the western half of the US PE crowd, this Saturday we will start with the network hot at 8 PT / 11 ET, which is probably a better time slot for the western US and should still work for Europe.

Another wrinkle: we've done pretty well with the pattern work so far, so now I'd like us to move along to flying as a flight and doing some VFR navigation. So this Saturday we will fly San Louis Obispo to the shiny new Western US field at Monterrey: KSBP - KPRB - KKIC - KMRY. KSBP is a towered field, so I suggest we do a few laps of the pattern there with ATC, then make a quick full-stop at Paso Robles and a few touch-and-goes at Mesa Del Rey before heading into the KMRY Charlie. This will give folks new to the network a chance to brush up on their ground / tower comms skills at KSBP, and the flight north will be good VFR practice as there are restricted areas and a Delta to miss along the way.

Here's the route on SkyVector:

https://skyvector.com/?ll=35.8326498218 ... KIC%20KMRY

For those who have not signed on for the Western US expansion, please join us for the flight up to Mesa Del Rey (the network will drop you as you enter the Western US, but I presume you'll be able to continue with us on CTAF frequencies).

We will meet on the ramp at KSBP at 11 AM ET this Saturday and brief on 123.45 before switching over to ground. If the weather is bad real-world we will fly clear skies.

Everyone is welcome to join us for this group flight, whether you've flown ACT before or not. It's a friendly group and it's about learning and practice, so the more, the merrier. See you then.
Last edited by BFG on Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
jcallum

Re: ACT Returns This Sat 2/11 @ 11 AM ET

Post by jcallum »

Hi BFG. Glad to hear you are doing this. Unfortunately, I am away until next week so won't be able to join you tomorrow. However, I hope that you will do another flight on the 18th and I will join you then for sure.

John
John Callum - N142VG
i7 4790k, GTX 1070, X-Plane 11 Carenado B58 /w REP, Quest Kodiak, TBM 900, Bell 407, FF A320, FF B763, ASXP
ngoiz

Post by ngoiz »

I'll do my best to join the group tomorrow!

Though probably just up to PRB as I believe without the WUS you get disconnected at the ZLA/ZOA border...

Aircraft wise, PA28/C172?
Norberto
EASA and FAA PPL
BFG

Post by BFG »

I'll be in a 172.
BFG

Post by BFG »

Also, I think the network would drop you from flight following or any ATC, but I don't believe it will disconnect you. CTAF should work. You can be on the network anywhere in the virtual world and have plane to plane comms. You just won't have ATC.
ridikamus

Post by ridikamus »

BFG wrote:Also, I think the network would drop you from flight following or any ATC, but I don't believe it will disconnect you. CTAF should work. You can be on the network anywhere in the virtual world and have plane to plane comms. You just won't have ATC.
This is not true for the new Western US area. You will be forcibly disconnected if you fly into the boundaries of WUS without the expansion subscription. See the last question in the FAQ here: http://www.pilotedge.net/pages/western-expansion

EDIT: Added source link.
V-3 CAT-11 I-11
gsuoumu

Post by gsuoumu »

I might try to hop on. Have very limited work flying a pattern with other traffic so this would be good practice.
BFG

Post by BFG »

Hi everyone. I need to send regrets. Something has come up here at the house (nothing serious) but I won't be able to get on. I know - not cool when I arranged it. But I trust you'll understand. Please fly without me.
gsuoumu

Post by gsuoumu »

Something odd as I tried to load in - both of my Garmin's are not coming in so I've lost all radio function. Hopefully I can get it back to join in (if anyone else is there).
ngoiz

Post by ngoiz »

I'm just logging on as well. N192AD
Norberto
EASA and FAA PPL