Group VFR Flight This Sat 11 AM ET

Planning a flight, looking for others to come along?
BFG

Group VFR Flight This Sat 11 AM ET

Post by BFG »

I was thinking it would be fun to do another Saturday group VFR flight like we were doing last year. A little coastal action - maybe KOXR KSBA L52 KSBP (thought it would be fun to tack the “First Flight” onto the end of this one). I’d probably run the GoPro on this one and post a video to YouTube. Let me know if you’re game.
Kyle.Sanders

Re: Group VFR Flight This Sat 11 AM ET

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

Meet on the PE Discord for this?
Kyle Sanders
gsuoumu

Post by gsuoumu »

I might try to join in if you promise not to laugh at my bad piloting skills.
dvlourie

Post by dvlourie »

So not to be to embarrassed to ask, how does one join the flight besides being on-line with PE at 11am ET and where are we meeting? At transient on the southeast or northeast part of the airport??
bbuckley

Post by bbuckley »

Not sure yet about my Saturday plans but if available, I'd love to join.
Commercial / Instrument / KMLB
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

The Discord server is a good way to plan it, similar to meeting in the FBO before a flight.
BFG

Post by BFG »

Posting this here and on Discord as well as not everyone uses Discord and vice versa ...

The plan is to fly Oxnard - Santa Barbara - Oceana - San Louis Obispo. Chart of the route is here:

https://skyvector.com/?ll=34.6616778473 ... L52%20KSBP

This will be a morning VFR flight. If the weather isn't VFR will will adjust in our sims and let PE controllers know we are running custom weather. The plan is to depart Oxnard and do at least a touch-and-go at SBA, L52, and SBP. We'll leave it to each pilot how they want to plan their time at each strip - to do pattern work, touch and go, full stop with a taxi-back, etc. I know I'll probably fly a few loops of the pattern at OXR and L52, and might do a loop at SBA as well. This should keep it interesting and allow for some natural variation in the traffic.

All aircraft are welcome, although I'm presuming pistons will be the most likely participants. I'll probably fly a Saratoga. That said, if you want to start with us at Oxnard in your jet and head to SBA for pattern work, or off to someplace else, or even file an IFR clearance somewhere from there, please join us. The more folks on the ramp the more fun it will be. Five Magic Tokens to the person who shows up in a Piper Super Cub.

As not everyone is on Discord or would run it from their sim PCs, please meet on the ramp and on 123.45 at 10:50 AM ET / 7:50 AM PT for any brief we might want to do. I will have the "Fly With Me" channel on Discord open on my iPad as well just in case someone has difficulty etc.

Finally, if it's OK with everyone I'll probably run the GoPro during the flight so I can post a video that highlights PE.

As Radar used to say, "That is all."
BFG

Post by BFG »

That was fun. Thanks to all who joined in and to the PE controller who minded the store. Next time: Idaho.
bbuckley

Post by bbuckley »

That was fun. Thanks for being the orchestrator. I didn’t have as much time as I had hoped so I got way ahead (Bonanza 522PM).

A disappointment was on the KOXR ramp all I saw was flashing glints of lights from submarine planes. I was flying P3Dv4.1, maybe others were XP?
Commercial / Instrument / KMLB
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Different terrain height in the sim. We have ground clamping working in xplane but not in P3D, so it's sensitive to terrain height differences. A lot of xplane people are now running with sloped runways, so the terrain heights have changed quite a bit as a result.