[Feb 16, 1700PST] Long Weekend in Vegas

Planning a flight, looking for others to come along?
Salire

Re: [Feb 16, 1700PST] Long Weekend in Vegas

Post by Salire »

Gonna give this a try. I’ve never flown a SID/STAR. I guess I’ll just disappear into the ether if I screw it up. But it sounds like a lot of fun!
Sally
PPL Asheville, NC
KLRay
Location: Near KBVS: Burlington/Mount Vernon, Washington, USA

Post by KLRay »

Hi Keith...For SNA, if 2L/R is the current active per ATIS, then should we plan to file accordingly or stick with the preferred routes you listed above? i.e musel8 is 20L/R only that I can tell. Thanks.
Shawn Goldsworthy

Post by Shawn Goldsworthy »

KLRay wrote:Hi Keith...For SNA, if 2L/R is the current active per ATIS, then should we plan to file accordingly or stick with the preferred routes you listed above? i.e musel8 is 20L/R only that I can tell. Thanks.
Looks like KSNA is going to stay in a south config based on the TAF. But if it does go North, The IRV4 will replace the MUSEL8
Shawn Goldsworthy
PilotEdge ATCS
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Salire wrote:Gonna give this a try. I’ve never flown a SID/STAR. I guess I’ll just disappear into the ether if I screw it up. But it sounds like a lot of fun!
Assuming you're looking at SNA-HND in a piston, file this: ANAHM9.HEC V21 BLD

The only new thing here for you is the SID. The IFR clearance will likely be, "cleared to Henderson Airport, Anaheim Niner Departure, Hector transition, then as filed, climb via SID, squawk xxxx"

Make sure you read back the "climb via SID" otherwise the clearance person is going to have you repeat it until you do.

In terms of how to fly it, it's very straight forward. Just look at the graphic and follow along with the text on page 2. Very briefly, you fly the 222 heading (departing 20L/R), climbing to the top alitude (2000), then WAIT FOR VECTORS to SLI. Do not turn direct SLI on your own.

ATC will turn you, climb you, eventually putting you direct SLI with instructions to "resume the Hector transition." At SLI, you head to POXKU, then PDZ, then APLES, then HEC. The "APLES at or above 10,000ft" restriction on the SID only comes into effect if they "climb via SID except maintain 11,000" (unlikely they'll do this), or unless they explicitly issue the restriction. To be clear, if they simply said, "climb and maintain 11,000" then the APLES restriction is HISTORY, because climb and maintain always means just that.

Good luck!
Kilstorm

Post by Kilstorm »

I had a great time last night on the flight. This was the second group flight I've been part of on PE. I flew the Duke Turbine N2612B SNA to LAS. As I was worried, the whole LAX area always gives me a bit of an issues on performance in P3D/VR but once I got up to altitude and heading East it was smooth sailing. Really liked the idea of having multiple airports close by for the departure and arrival locations. As well as having various Class airports as part of the mix. I actually brought LatinVFR's SNA for this event (which isnt bad scenery). Looking forward to the next event.
Nathan Palmer
Nantucket, MA
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

That was spectacular, thanks to everyone that came out! See you in WUS for the March event!
mike4370

Post by mike4370 »

Keith Smith wrote:That was spectacular, thanks to everyone that came out! See you in WUS for the March event!
I had a great time! I flew the A320 from KSNA to KLAS. SNA was PACKED! I've never seen so many airplanes there before LOL