Let's Go To Sun n' Fun!

Planning a flight, looking for others to come along?
ryancanepa

Let's Go To Sun n' Fun!

Post by ryancanepa »

Come join me on TUESDAY night for some Sun n’ Fun action!
I invite you all to head on down into Lakeland to fly the famous
Lake Parker arrival into the Sun n’ Fun Fly-in
We will attempt to accomplish this via CTAF, simply reporting
your position on the arrival
X Plane users are encouraged to download the free Sun n’ Fun
scenery provided by Laminar
There are no specific departure airports defined, you can fly out
of any airport you please, just try and aim for an arrival around
18:00 PST
Please study the published Lake Parker arrival prior to departure
CTAF: 124.5
Attachments
sunnfunbanner.png
sunnfunbanner.png (1.09 MiB) Viewed 12906 times
FDXDave

Re: Let's Go To Sun n' Fun!

Post by FDXDave »

I don't see the Lake Parker arrival on Skyvector, but i did locate this sun & Fun publication from four years ago which describes the arrival in detail. Is this the procedure in which you speak?

Pages 6&7
https://www.slideshare.net/mobile/south ... am-3212014?

Dave
zerofay32

Post by zerofay32 »

FDXDave wrote:I don't see the Lake Parker arrival on Skyvector, but i did locate this sun & Fun publication from four years ago which describes the arrival in detail. Is this the procedure in which you speak?

Pages 6&7
https://www.slideshare.net/mobile/south ... am-3212014?

Dave
Dave (and anyone else)

The fly in info is always published as a NOTAM (same for oskosh). Here is the Link to the NOTAM page for Sun n' Fun:

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publica ... 18001.html
Andrew Fay
PilotEdge V-3; CAT-11; I-11; Skyhigh 10
Commercial Pilot/Instrument ASEL/AMEL- KOSU / Commercial sUAS
ryancanepa

Post by ryancanepa »

Hello everyone,

It has come to my attention that the weather conditions around sun n fun are extremely poor. We will wait and see if it clears up by this evening, but if not we can either push it out a day or simply run custom weather.

Stay tuned! And feel free to make any suggestions

Ryan
ryancanepa

Post by ryancanepa »

Hello All,

Weather around KLAL is looking considerably better. We will proceed as planned with the group flight. CTAF 124.5, you may depart from any field, just aim for the arrival time (18:00 PST)
FDXDave

Post by FDXDave »

Thanks for the idea. That was fun. I assume the CTAF we were using was a West Coast Center because someone called me on 124.5 and asked if I could hear him. At least I think that was a PE controller...So if that was not either you or the other fellow flying, Maybe in the future we just use advisory, 122.80 to do our pattern work? I didn't think I would hear or could be heard on the West coast while flying in Florida. But I could hear someone talking to ATC reference a field on the West coast. Anyway. I'm all for more fly in's. It's nice to visit different places like that. And the X-Plane scenery for "Sun and Fun" was pretty cool.!

Dave.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

The range limiting normally works pretty well. There are some older pilot clients which on rare occasions don't pick up their voice ID from the server correctly. This effects our ability to mute those clients correctly. Since we don't have a freq database for the Florida airports, the system is matching you to the 'nearest' 124.50 match, which is one of the WUS or ZLA facilities. Even though you're well out of range, the system still puts you in the same voice room as the controller and other pilots who are working with the controller. If the system had the correct voice IDs for all participants, then the muting would work perfect and you would not hear any of those west coast guys.

In this case, as I said, it's likely that one of the clients mis-reported its voice ID. I notice that you didn't say you were hearing ALL the pilots, just the one. That would be consistent with the issue I described.

We'll check the pilot client code for each platform to make sure the voice ID is being retrieved in a way that works 100% of the time.

Alternatively, I'd like to get to the point where we have every towered airport in the freq database....that would alleviate the issue, too, as you wouldn't have even been in the controller's voice room if that was the case.
Salire

Post by Salire »

Keith, in a fairly stale thread you were discouraging users from doing anything outside of the coverage area. What is your guidance these days?
Sally
PPL Asheville, NC
RogerW

Post by RogerW »

Sounded like it would have been fun. I was flying out west that evening and I too heard the voices. :lol:

I will have to keep an eye on this topic for next time.
Roger W.
Home: Valkaria, Fl (X59)
PE Rating: CAT-11, I-2
Real World hrs 7, Virtual hrs thousands
FSX
Aircraft: A2A Cessna 182 Skylane
Tail Number: N7365W
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCitoWL ... bagrJnQyrw