Things Discovered

Planning a flight, looking for others to come along?
Tony Rogers

Things Discovered

Post by Tony Rogers »

So I flew twice today (Sat 15Oct11). First flight was kingair 350, KSAN-KONT. I filed BRDR5.BROWS.JLI.SETER2. (I use DUAT WX for planning). I was cleared Hdg 275, radar vectors V186, Dir TANNR, Dir HDF, Dir Petis, Dir. On Socal contact I was given direct ROBNN. The mad scramble to reprogram the GPS reminded me of all the times I had to do that in RL. I eventually surrendered and asked direct Homeland. So, good experience.
Second flight was 737-800, Vegas to San Diego. Things went well except for autopilot problems. Did most of the climb-out manual, missed at KSAN and thought I'd set AP to fly the missed. Problems again so I just went manual back around.
All in all, was a good high-speed multi-tasking adventure. It made me deal with things I haven't had to deal with in awhile; issues I'd almost forgotten about.
Keith Smith

Re: Things Discovered

Post by Keith Smith »

Great to hear, Tony, and I'm glad PE is chipping away at some of the rust.

When it comes to flights within the socal area, you can get a great headstart on what route to expect by using this:
http://www.fly.faa.gov/rmt/nfdc_preferr ... tabase.jsp

If a TEC route exists, you're going to get that for your clearance, so you might save yourself the trouble of filing what appears to be a reasonable route, only to get something completely different. Also, I would avoid programming the GPS before you've actually received the clearance on the ground. I've learned that the hard way flying IFR in the NY area.

Thanks for taking the time to post the feedback!
Tony Rogers

Post by Tony Rogers »

Keith, usually I'll file what I think would be a good practice flight.
If I'm flying a GA aircraft, it's probably because I wanna enjoy a cigar and an ale along the route ( it's the only place I can have a drink & cigar while flying :D ) If I want to really train, I'll pick something high-speed and complex.
The GPS issue is an x-plane thing. The buttons are tiny and it sometimes doesn't want to reset or database isn't updated. I've mastered the real Garmin 430 in turbulence. 8-). It was a good time though.
Les Parson

Post by Les Parson »

Speaking of the NY area, there is a major NE airspace redesign in effect next week on 10/20. This is Stage 2A that is ongoing for several years.
Daddy O

Post by Daddy O »

Never been a fan of autopilot. Seems like too many pilots let the simulator fly itself. I'd rather spend the time preacticing maintaining heading and speed within checkride limits while multitasking.
Tony Rogers

Post by Tony Rogers »

Daddy O wrote:Never been a fan of autopilot. Seems like too many pilots let the simulator fly itself. I'd rather spend the time preacticing maintaining heading and speed within checkride limits while multitasking.
Spend 7 hours in the seat and you'll see the beni's of autopilot. It's not there to replace skills, but to relieve fatigue.