[Feb 16 12p-3pm PST] EVENT: Nobody Goes to Fresno 2!

Planning a flight, looking for others to come along?
flyingdrill

Re: [Feb 16 12p-3pm PST] EVENT: Nobody Goes to Fresno 2!

Post by flyingdrill »

I was just making absolutely certain that we were not expected to line up and go (in "defiance" of the rules!) as a convenience/time saver for the controllers in what is a special sim event. In the odd event that I've participated in, I don't remember ever not calling ready for departure - and that's pretty much not strictly kosher either ;)
Hope to "see" you on Sunday.
Kevin_atc

Post by Kevin_atc »

flyingdrill wrote:I was just making absolutely certain that we were not expected to line up and go (in "defiance" of the rules!) as a convenience/time saver for the controllers in what is a special sim event. In the odd event that I've participated in, I don't remember ever not calling ready for departure - and that's pretty much not strictly kosher either ;)
Hope to "see" you on Sunday.
The special notes for this event mirror a real world busy class B airport. Nearly all bravos have aircraft monitor the tower rather than call. No rules are being broken (ie. Entering a runway without permission) for this event. It’s just being streamlined to mirror real world ops at a big airport in order to move traffic more efficiently.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
flyingdrill

Post by flyingdrill »

Point taken and appreciated, Kevin. I've never taken off in a Class B, RW, and have always called "Ready" in the sim, as (let's face it), we're not in a huge line in PE! On reflection, I don't remember airliners or corporate jets doing this in a busy Class C either.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

There are several Bravos (SFO and LAX if memory serves, at the very least) which have signs which read "monitor tower beyond this point..." or something along those lines on the taxiway several hundred feet from the hold short line.

Additionally, per the FARs, turboprop and turbojet aircraft are assumed to be ready for departure once they reach the runway, so it's very common for tower to simply call them up and clear them for takeoff.

What doesn't happen in real world that you often see online during events is pilots checking in "ready to go" when they are #8 in line. There is literally no point in telling the tower that you're ready when there are 7 planes ahead of you :)
colinl

Post by colinl »

Will VFR flight following be available? If so, should we request on the ground each leg or in the air?
Kevin_atc

Post by Kevin_atc »

colinl wrote:Will VFR flight following be available? If so, should we request on the ground each leg or in the air?
As is in the real world, it’s workload permitting. You may request on the ground or in the air.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Ground will likely be easier, it'll save a cold call with approach controllers who will likely be fairly busy.
shanethomas

Post by shanethomas »

Not sure where else to post this but.... THAT WAS AWESOME! Lots of traffic and stress :). Big shout out to all the controllers that worked today! They did a FANTASTIC job! N712RA
dhplane

Post by dhplane »

I fully agree...

Thx to all the controllers... lots of traffic but well under control... lots of fun... very professional!

Well done!!