GROUP FLIGHT - Sat, Sept 4, 15:00zulu - SEARCH & RESCUE KBDN

Planning a flight, looking for others to come along?
ww3flyingace

GROUP FLIGHT - Sat, Sept 4, 15:00zulu - SEARCH & RESCUE KBDN

Post by ww3flyingace »

Pilots and Friends,
If you’re interested, I suggest this group flight for WUS this weekend.
Please give me your feedback though so I know we’re a go.

DESCRIPTION:
A pretty simple Search&Rescue in Oregon; Find the downed aircraft and rescue as able, or fly injured back to Hospital if necessary. KBDN > 6K5 > 8S3.
Looks short and easy but make no mistake, this run is not to be underestimated though as it will call upon more of your pilot skills than usual. It will be "Long boredom punctuated by moments of terror" for each, regardless of your persona in this play.

THE SCENARIO:
There are RESCUERS and RESCUEES; Those who rescue, and those down to be rescued.
(Though I presumed Helicopters would rescue the Fixed Wings, really anyone could play either role, provided we have at least ONE Rescuee.)

Thus;
A.) RESCUEES GO DOWN
One or more Rescuees depart from Bend Muni (KBDN), and make their way to Santium Junction (8S3) for some hiking and camping up in Hoodoo Bute. As luck would have it, they never make it there because of catastrophic engine failure. You can use the presets in X-Plane aircraft FAILURES (or MSFS equivalent), or simply pull the throttle at some point. They go down, using all Emergency Procedures (ABC’s), and radio in their position for rescue. If you crash, you're done.

B.) RESCUERS GO SEARCH and RESCUE
One or more Rescuers stationed at same Bend Muni (KBDN) are then dispatched out to SEARCH and hopefully FIND (if you can) these downed aircraft. If you crash or fail to find the downed aircraft in reasonable time, your done.

C.) RESCUE OPTIONS
- Perhaps the downed aircraft can be REPAIRED and able to fly back independent. Awesome; They take off and fly back to Bend Muni (KBDN).
- Perhaps the aircraft is toast and the pilot (and any passengers) are INJURED and must be flown back to HOSPITAL (Heliport 54OR) at St Charles Medical Ctr. (it’s there in X-Plane...), or at least back to Bend Muni.
These to be determined.

THE DURATIONS:
Max 30min original flight + 10min-30min Search&Rescue + 10min-30min return = max 90min.
Approximation is that the original Rescuees run from Bend to Santium Jct is only about 30min (which WON’T be completed), then add the Rescuers flight in similar range of 10min to 30min to SEARCH and FIND and LAND for rescue, then potentially range of 10min to 30min to fly back to Bend.

NAVIGATION and LOCATIONS:
This is the first S&R for the group so I wanted to make it fairly easy to see how it goes. We can make it more challenging later.
Use the moving maps absolutely. I prefer LittleNavMap because it also gives the LatLong coordinates, etc., and PE map can be used, as well as GPS. We can all see each other, so it should be pretty easy and fun, if not too unrealistic.

TRAINING STRESS:
Staying on the flight plan.
Emergency Procedures.
Soft field landing and takeoffs.
Location Awareness.
Cool/calm/collected action during surprise stressful moments.

HELPFUL TIPS:
Remember, just as in real-world, the more you stick to your original flight plan, the easier it is for those searching to find you.
Emergency procedures are at least the simplified ABC’s; Airspeed for best glide, Best field for landing (incl. roads), and Checklists and Communication to try to stay flying before going down.
Try to land on the road if safe and practical. Avoid poles and wires.
Know WHERE you are at all times to help pinpoint your location for rescue.
More as I think of them.

SKYVECTOR and PLAN FILES:
https://skyvector.com/?ll=44.2648219731 ... 06K5%208S3
(link to files)

FLIGHT FEATURES & SCENERY:
This run offers a chance to experience more than the usual non-towered “follow the leader,” and get in some more realistic flying solutions to common flying problems. Both patience and adroitness are desired. Scenery is not bad, if you ignore the barren city of Bend Oregon. I’m in out-of-box X-Plane, and I cannot comment on Orbx or MSFS scenery.
Bla bla bla, you get the idea.

Anybody wanna join?
KBDN-8S3.png
KBDN-8S3.png (1.69 MiB) Viewed 5512 times
ww3flyingace

Re: GROUP FLIGHT - Sat, Sept 4, 15:00zulu - SEARCH & RESCUE

Post by ww3flyingace »

Hospital detail
Attachments
KBDN-8S3_Hospital_detail.png
KBDN-8S3_Hospital_detail.png (974.61 KiB) Viewed 5511 times
ww3flyingace