[1915P, Fri Nov 18, 2011]: Oakland ARTCC Grand Tour [Part 1]

Planning a flight, looking for others to come along?
Alex Stjepanovic

[1915P, Fri Nov 18, 2011]: Oakland ARTCC Grand Tour [Part 1]

Post by Alex Stjepanovic »

Pilots,

Seeing how the number of these flights appears to be limited, I'm gonna go ahead and organize a few. This group of flights will be based on Oakland ARTCC coverage area(See this link for details, if unfamiliar.), giving us all a nice change of scenery(Pun very much intended!), and an opportunity to not rely on ATC, even if we wanted to :) The primary aim is to criss-cross the entire ARTCC by the end and I estimate around 4-5 of these flights altogether.

THE DETAILS

Aircraft performance
Anything that can maintain up to 120KIAS, in low altitude level flight.
I'm going a bit easy on the speed on this first flight, in case people have never flown as a group before, or if they need time to find the appropriate aircraft in time. Assuming everyone can overcome those two issues, I'll increase the speed for future flights. Also, past experiences have proven somewhat, that when it comes to pilotage, a relatively slow speed is more enjoyable for most pilots.

Flight Rules
VFR

Arrival and Departure Points
KDVO(Gnoss Filed Airport) to KFLX(Fallon Municipal Airport)

ETE and Altitudes
Estimating and expecting around 2-2.5hrs.
As dictated by terrain and weather. Anywhere between 4500-(<)10000ft is expected.

Prerequisites
Basic flying and navigation skills; Non-100% dependability on the GPS.

The Plan
1. Load up and connect on the ramp(West side of the field) at DVO, ready for 'roll call' by 1930P. Ensure that you have at least some basic scenery, beyond the generic single taxiway layout.

2. Unless splitting up is required, the lead aircraft will be N810PE.

3. The first leg has been designed to allow for formation building. It goes from DVO overhead O69, then east overhead APC. Aircraft that are potentially late or have departure problems, can take a shortcut between DVO and APC, as appropriate, to rejoin the formation. The heading off of O69 toward APC is pure dead reckoning, but hopefully with good visibility, APC will come into view in a short period of time.

4. After APC we follow a number of small lakes, until reaching the southeast end of Lake Berryessa, where the two peninsulas almost meet.

5. After overflying the peninsulas, proceed eastbound via the powerlines, to the town of Winters, and then via a roadway toward DWA.

6. Another "catchup" detour has been designed here, between DWA, O41 and 69CL. Assuming the formation is either fine, or has caught up here, we proceed overhead SMF and MCC.

7. After MCC we follow the railroad tracks north eastbound until they come up on the intersection with a number of other tracks and freeways.

8. Proceed to the sound end of Lake Folsom, then via the jutting point in the middle, then via the eastern end of the lake. At the last jutting point in the northern end of the lake, proceed north westbound again, to where the freeway and the railroad tracks intersect.

9. Follow the tracks to the town of Auburn, then proceed direct to Auburn airport. Depart Auburn east bound to the western end of the elongated lake.

10. After the elongated lake, follow the valleys/roads/rivers/lakes as depicted, until reaching the Lake Tahoe, at the town of Tahoma.

11. Follow the western shore of Lake Tahoe, counterclockwise to the southern tip. Depart this tip on nothing but dead reckoning across the lake.

12. Arrive at the point near Kings Beach and adjust course as needed. Proceed clockwise near Incline Village, until spotting the small lake near 9214 spot elevation.

13. Proceed eastbound as depicted, either following the road or hopping overhead the airports. Depending on how the time is holding upp, one method may be preferred over the other. If absolutely needed, direct HZN VORTAC may be an option.

14. After SPZ, follow the northern end of Lahontan Reservoir, to the power station.

15. After the power station, proceed via the road till coming across the railroad tracks, then via the small lake to FLX.

Critical Notes
1. Ensure that you give way to coordination, over chatter, on frequency. For the most part the former will likely turn out to be the main topic anyhow.

2. 123.45 will be the primary air-to-air frequency, in order to allow for easy coordination on this first flight. Should the attendance numbers be sufficient so that splitting up is required, additional frequencies can be picked as needed. Utilize the actual published CTAF frequencies, for any departure or arrival at an airport.

3. Refueling and break stops can be arranged as needed along the way. Plenty of equipped and well supplied airports are going to be in the vicinity of the route.

4. Some people may have more or less experience than others, so delays, orbits or rerouting may occur as needed. This should NOT however invite people to not think their flying through, and expect others to change their routing and take unneeded delays because of them, for the entire trip.

You may invite other PilotEdge members(Or not, hint hint ;)), to come along, if you are aware that they haven't seen this post.

Any questions or concerns over the timing, can be posted here.

-Alex
Steven Winslow

Re: [1915P, Fri Nov 18, 2011]: Oakland ARTCC Grand Tour [Par

Post by Steven Winslow »

I'll be there, barring anything coming up between now and then, but to clarify, are we talking about 1930 PST? I assume it's PST, so that means 2030 Mountain Standard, right? Thanks for putting this together!
Steven Winslow
CEO/Owner - Air Northwest Virtual Airlines • http://www.airnorthwest.org
People should get what they want when they want it once in a while. Keeps them optimisitic.
Alex Stjepanovic

Post by Alex Stjepanovic »

Steven Winslow wrote:I'll be there, barring anything coming up between now and then, but to clarify, are we talking about 1930 PST? I assume it's PST, so that means 2030 Mountain Standard, right? Thanks for putting this together!
Affirm there's little room for the title, so had to make do.
James Burns

Post by James Burns »

Count me in..
CI0/Chief Pilot/Test Pilot/Hub Commander/ECW Hub Commander - AirNorthwest Virtual Airlines
"No good decision ever came from a swivel chair" -General George Patton
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Well, the good news is I'm resuming my much-needed meeting with Peter Grey...the bad news is, it's happening at 7pm tonight. I'm a no-show for this one but would like to partake of future flights!
Brian Ratledge

Post by Brian Ratledge »

I'm going to try and make this. I've got to find something I like thats 120 knotsish.
Brian Ratledge
Pilot Client Support Team
brian (at) pilotedge (dot) net
James Burns

Post by James Burns »

Looks like i will be one of the late ones....computer with the flt sim is acting up a bit this evening....
CI0/Chief Pilot/Test Pilot/Hub Commander/ECW Hub Commander - AirNorthwest Virtual Airlines
James Burns

Post by James Burns »

Alex, I thought the flight was great....until my sim crashed.......Looking forward to some more great flights like that one.

Thanks for putting it together.
Brian Ratledge

Post by Brian Ratledge »

Thanks for all the hard work AT. It was fun.
Brian Ratledge
Pilot Client Support Team
brian (at) pilotedge (dot) net
Steven Winslow

Post by Steven Winslow »

I have to agree it was a great time! It got pretty exciting at the end when we ended up IMC over Lake Tahoe and cut the trip short. I was icing up pretty bad and wasn't sure I was going to get down safely, but I ended up landing at KTVL with a 30 knot headwind. Definitely didn't need flaps on that landing. Michael made it into TVL as well. I'm not a video guy, but here's a clip of my landing at TVL. Glad to be on the ground!

Steven Winslow
CEO/Owner - Air Northwest Virtual Airlines • http://www.airnorthwest.org
People should get what they want when they want it once in a while. Keeps them optimisitic.