first IFR in/out of JFK

Keith Smith

first IFR in/out of JFK

Post by Keith Smith »

This was a r/w flight that I conducted yesterday to complete a commercial PE installation. Edited ATC recording is linked at the end.

arrival: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N360 ... Z/N07/KJFK. Filed COL JFK, received: direct CAT, vectors BREZY direct CMK V374 DENNA BDR V44 DPK

departure:
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N360 ... Z/KJFK/N07

Filed the TEC route for correct ops both times, got something completely different, doesn't happen often to me, but in hindsight, I shouldn't have been shocked as the TEC routes are area-specific, not airport-specific, and I was utilizing a satellite airport.

Arrival weather was 300ovc 1/2sm drizzle and mist. Was doing 175-180kias in the terminal area, was told to keep speed up as long as practical. Advised tower about 2 miles inside the FAF that I had to start slowing (max gear extension is 125kts, so there's a lot of speed to lose). Power idle, prop full forward, slowly bled the speed from 180'ish to 120'ish while on the glideslope, then gear down and resumed normal schedule after that. Broke out a little left of center line. Parking to Sheltair was uneventful.

Saw this just before reaching the FBO:

For the departure, picked up the clearance (was #4 with delivery), no problem there except for him having trouble hearing me, not surprisingly. Clearance was Kennedy One departure, Breezy Point climb, vectors to V16, then DIXIE V276 RBV V249 SBJ.

Swapped to ground, took a FULL 10-12 minutes (measured on the original audio recording) to get a word in. There was a big departure push, it was ugly. It didn't help that ground was amending departure instructions for all the 22L guys, presumably because they were running additional deps off 31L at Kilo Echo.

Was parked behind a Kalitta 747 who was taking 31L from Kilo, one intersection ahead. Felt my plane rock a little as I passed through the blast of the #3 and #4 engines.

Took off without much delay, accelerated to 150 on the deck then entered cruise climb and got on the SID to get out of the way ASAP.

The edited recording of clearance, gnd, tower and departure is available here.

This was my 3rd trip to JFK, but my first in IMC. It was a good experience, I enjoyed pretty much every minute of it.
Ryan B

Re: first IFR in/out of JFK

Post by Ryan B »

Awesome... is there a video anywhere? :twisted:
PE ID: 29
FAA ATCS
FAA PPL ASEL