why not ZOA?

AviatorScott

Re: why not ZOA?

Post by AviatorScott »

Keith Smith wrote:A few months ago, we were being peppered with questions about when ZOA (norcal) would be opened up. We did everything we could and managed to get it launched with part-time support a little while ago.

It's pretty clear, however, that not many people are flying there when it's open. I'm just curious if anyone could shed some light on why that might be.

Some survey questions then, if you'll permit me:
1) were you aware that Norcal support was added a while ago (Fri-Sun) ?
2) If yes to #1, do you fly in norcal from time to time?
3) if yes to #1 but no to #2, could you share your reasons for not utilizing the airspace on your weekend flights?

We had to make some staffing sacrifices to get ZOA opened up when we did. I'm trying to work out if those changes were actually detrimental to the launch of ZOA and the healthy running of ZLA (Socal/Vegas)
1) Yes, I am aware and appreciative. I've done a couple of short VFR flights
2) oh, just answered that. I am and plan on doing more. Time crunch from a lot of things. Mostly my other hobbies on the weekends, which fortunately include r/l flying.
I hope to be doing more vfr and most importantly ifr flights in both areas soon. Trying to tranistion away from FSX and into X-Plane 10, but still feeling like I'm overworked in X-Plane.

Scott
Scott Woodland, PE, M.ASCE
PPL - ASEL -- IFR
AviatorScott

Post by AviatorScott »

Don't know how it will show up in the records for tonight N01SW IFR KSAC to KSJC. Was just making the turn for the ILS 30L approach and started a descent when my FSX (yeah, I know switch to X-Plane :o ) went dirty side up and blew me out of the water.
Controllers, thanks for a great job, and for offering me the option instead of just the visual approach. I appreciate it. Want to make sure Keith knows a few of us are using ZOA!

Scott
Scott Woodland, PE, M.ASCE
PPL - ASEL -- IFR
Brandon Grchan

Post by Brandon Grchan »

I literally felt your pain last night!
Brandon Grchan
PilotEdge Air Traffic Controller
theskunk

Post by theskunk »

1: Yes
2: Rarely
3: I fly to prep myself for future flights. I consider my radio work to be mediocre at best (especially position reporting on initial call up.). Unfortunately these only take place later at night (11p EST or later) and mostly on weekdays.

ironically, i believe that the ZOA airspace is more useful for the type of flying I do (non-towered -> Class B/C/D and return. pick up following en-route, etc)
Zebra

Post by Zebra »

Keith Smith wrote:
Some survey questions then, if you'll permit me:
1) were you aware that Norcal support was added a while ago (Fri-Sun) ?
2) If yes to #1, do you fly in norcal from time to time?
3) if yes to #1 but no to #2, could you share your reasons for not utilizing the airspace on your weekend flights?
1. - Yes

2 . - unfortunately not

3. - Time zones make it difficult to me, when I can get on its quite late in the US (PE closes at 4pm my local time) so quite often I cant get on at all

I also like to fly A2A Sims war birds around or jet trainers and it just doesn't seem fitting on PE, as I dont know the airspace that well (or at all really) so i dont want to blow through someones airspace at 500mph and 500ft after screaming up a valley.

I also like to fly IFR on PE as I'm sure the controllers would rather have someone to talk to than just watch my radar track flying around every little bit of CTA