NEMA GPS device for IPAD

jeiting

Re: NEMA GPS device for IPAD

Post by jeiting »

I've been doing this all weekend with ForeFlight + PilotEdge + GPS data from sim. However, I've been doing it using a slightly different approach.

Using FSUIPC I am piping the GPS data into a windows app called GpsGate. GpsGate creates a virtual com port which receives the data from FSX, I then setup a bluetooth server using GpsGate. I bought a bt dongle for 20 bucks at best buy. Then, on the iPad side, I had to jailbreak it to install roqyBT4, which is an app that lets you replace the internal GPS of the iPad with an external one. I point roqyBT at my PC running GPSGate via bluetooth and boom, the CoreLocation calls on the iPad return location data from the sim.

This cable setup sounds better though. I wonder if it emulates the external accessory protocol that the iPad uses so the fore flight actually recognizes it as an external accessory.
Orest Skrypuch

Post by Orest Skrypuch »

jeiting wrote:Using FSUIPC I am piping the GPS data into a windows app called GpsGate. GpsGate creates a virtual com port which receives the data from FSX, I then setup a bluetooth server using GpsGate. I bought a bt dongle for 20 bucks at best buy.
Not sure why you need GpsGate, unless you just have the software installed and available. FSUIPC will deliver GPSout data to any com port. Most every bluetooth dongle you install, will create a virtual com port for you directly. No need for an intermediary.

Just curious.

* Orest
PP/ASEL/IR, Piper Dakota (PA28-236) C-FCPO
President & CEO, UVA, http://www.united-virtual.com
jeiting

Post by jeiting »

Orest Skrypuch wrote:
jeiting wrote: Not sure why you need GpsGate, unless you just have the software installed and available. FSUIPC will deliver GPSout data to any com port. Most every bluetooth dongle you install, will create a virtual com port for you directly. No need for an intermediary.
My understanding is that pairing the iPad with the PC does not create proper 'com port', at least I didn't immediately see it in FSUIPC. This may not be the case. I copied these steps from someone on the FSUIPC forums, perhaps further investigation is warranted.
Orest Skrypuch

Post by Orest Skrypuch »

The link from the bluetooth dongle, to the iThingie is where the problem occurs, as usual Apples uses a non-standard setup.

But, the link between FSUIPC and the bluetooth dongle should just be "standard", and hence my question. But, it may be that GPSGate helps smooth out the subsequent link to the Apple device.

* Orest
PP/ASEL/IR, Piper Dakota (PA28-236) C-FCPO
President & CEO, UVA, http://www.united-virtual.com
jcar

Post by jcar »

There is an update to FSUIPC4 and GPSout for FSX and 2004 users to support Apple core application API to display course and heading properly. You need to copy the updated FSUIPC.DLL to your FSX module directory and modify the FSUIPC4.INI file and add the statement below.

Add

SimModeIndicator=Yes

in the [GPSout] section of the FSUIPC4.INI file.

Then fire up FSX and enjoy the ride!

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/66139-updated-modules/

Update FSUIPC version 4.839b only: FSUIPC 4.839b
For details see the Changes document included.
– adds ipc.setowndisplay function for individual display windows per plug-in
– fixes bug in LVar macro with ‘DEC,0″ setting
– fixes bug in Lua event.key function.
– provides “SavePreviousFlight=No” option.
– fixes crash caused by re-executing some Lua plug-ins
– adds gfd.readlights function and GFRP48 mouse edition work-around
– fixes Lua sound.playloop in focus required mode.
– GPSout option for “Sim Mode” indicator in RMC sentence
Ryan Landis

Post by Ryan Landis »

Just got my cable from gpssimcable.com and flew a couple flights with it. I love the georeferenced charts working with the sim. I am using Foreflight HD Pro and FSX. I updated FSUIPC and added the line to the ini file. I am getting altitude readings via Foreflight, but no heading or groundspeed in the app. Is this normal operations?
Ryan Landis
Twitch Account: http://www.twitch.tv/herkchief
"When you walk like an egyptian, its time to switch NAVs" - Socrates
jcar

Post by jcar »

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/66139-updated-modules/

Update FSUIPC version 4.839b only: FSUIPC 4.839b

You have to download 4.839b .dll and upgrade that directly to the modules directory of FSX. By just updating FSUIPC will not include this upgraded .dll. I emailed you specific instructions to your email.
DrZGard

Post by DrZGard »

I got in the mail today. Should have noticed the female to female adaptor, the instructions that came with it don't say anything about it and the site doesn't show how to connect it. My serial port coming out of my computer is male and the adaptor is male also end... those two don't go together now. Have to pick up an adaptor tomorrow to get it to work. It did come with a female end adaptor that doesn't appear to have a connection at the other end... I am not sure what this is for?

The GPS Out section of the FSUIPC.ini file reads:
[GPSout]
GPSoutEnabled=No
SimModeIndicator=Yes

Is that correct or does it also need to be enabled?
Regards,
Dr. Zane Gard
ASEL IFR

AOPA #00915027
EAA #825848
American Mensa #100314888
theskunk

Post by theskunk »

When you get your 'adapter' make absolutely sure it is a NULL MODEM female => female. just an adapter, or a gender changer will NOT work.

The piece that is included is a null modem loop back device, so that once you install the application, you can actually connect that and see the output -- not really necessary for 99% of those out there, but a great troubleshooting accessory and i'm glad to see it was in there.

If you need additional information regarding what to buy, post here, and we can help you sort it out.
DrZGard

Post by DrZGard »

theskunk wrote:When you get your 'adapter' make absolutely sure it is a NULL MODEM female => female. just an adapter, or a gender changer will NOT work.

The piece that is included is a null modem loop back device, so that once you install the application, you can actually connect that and see the output -- not really necessary for 99% of those out there, but a great troubleshooting accessory and i'm glad to see it was in there.

If you need additional information regarding what to buy, post here, and we can help you sort it out.
Thank you for the help. I found a female to female serial adaptor at Radio Shack but alas, it is not a null modem adaptor so it does not work. I have to say for the $59 already spent (and now $12 for the wrong adaptor) it would have been a much better move to include the correct adaptor. I would love to see success with this endeavor but I suspect other buyers will not be quite as patient as I can be. I might try to see if I can buy a USB to serial adaptor that works with Windows7 and see if that will work. I have already discovered that the cable length coming from the back of my computer makes for a very limited mounting capability. I can just manage to fit the iPad to my leg with the strap, like I use when flying, and then have the computer close enough that the cord just makes it. Any fast moves away from the computer and it will probably get pulled out!
Regards,
Dr. Zane Gard
ASEL IFR

AOPA #00915027
EAA #825848
American Mensa #100314888