Excellent Service!

Ryan B

Excellent Service!

Post by Ryan B »

I enjoyed my time @ RNM tonight. Shot an approach with the Turbine Duke, did some VFR airwork, tore up the pattern with two others, also flew an overhead (c172 and be58 ) then changed to my speedy Piaggio.

Apparently I need to be more careful in the pre-planning phase hehe. I filed RNM - LAX, attempting to use a TEC route but was issued something else (always fun!). So anyway I'm flying the 27 DP off RNM and I start getting warning lights. I was over-temping the engines (expensive mistake!) and I forgot about the OAT in RNM. Much warmer than most of the flying I do near Duluth with the P180! I'm trying to pull back the power but it's too late. Dual engine fire. I get that extinguished, but can't regain control of the temps, shutdown both engines and secure them, while telling departure I've got issues and I need to land @ CRQ (thank goodness for GPS +added situational awareness!!) There's CRQ just to my north! I'll land there, I'm sure they've got good ARFF service :P What I should have done was taken the runway most aligned with the wind (I was at 8000ft - plenty of room), but I panicked and wanted to fly towards the ocean then back inbound for the tailwind ry 6 @ CRQ.

Gear down, flaps first notch, I'm still high but lining up for Ry 6. Second notch of flaps and still too high, so I'm making S turns... At this point I'm thinking... power off 180's from real world PPL ASEL course lol. It looks ok, like I might actually make it down safely. 1/2 mile out on glide path but getting slow (too many S turns yikes!) - nose down to keep the airspeed up and flare a bit early... leading to a -800 fpm descent to the concrete! I think I would have survived, maybe not the gear though. Landing speed of around 110 kias... Needed a tug off the runway and a change of pants!

KS handled everything very well, and I swear this wasn't planned haha! Thanks again!
PE ID: 29
FAA ATCS
FAA PPL ASEL
Keith Smith

Re: Excellent Service!

Post by Keith Smith »

Hey Ryan, that really was a lot of fun. The recording of the 2nd half of the flight (after the approaches) is here: http://www.pilotedge.net/recordings/hou ... _17510.mp3

Nice job getting it down.
Ryan B

Post by Ryan B »

Ugh my voice is terrible LOL! It doesn't sound anything like that in real life :) Then again I was trying to be quiet for my wife sleeping upstairs.
PE ID: 29
FAA ATCS
FAA PPL ASEL
RiteFlyer

Post by RiteFlyer »

I can relate to that! Was tons of fun in the KRNM pattern, minus my connectivity issues..
"Can't keep my mind from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earth-bound misfit, I”
-Pink Floyd, "Learning to Fly”